Could Bedlington get rid of Lavery?

Reedy

Most people posting on here seem to agree that Ian Lavery has done little or nothing for Bedlington with all his interest being Ashington and Newbiggin. This would no doubt continue if he's elected again on May 7th.

His majority at the last election was reduced compared to the previous one and in 2010 the turnout was just over 60%.

My question is - if everyone in Bedlington district, especially those who can't be bothered to vote, turned out and voted for someone other than Lavery would it be enough to get rid of him?

it means a vote for lib dems from me as they are the only party with any chance of catching labour in wansbeck.......labours majority has dropped from 22k 1997 13k 2001 11k 2005 7k 2010.....65% of vote in 1997 45% in 2010    .....SO HERES HOPING

Edited by rosco

it means a vote for lib dems from me as they are the only party with any chance of catching labour in wansbeck.......

No it doesn't!  An LD vote is a totally wasted vote, even if you can stomach their crazy love affair with the EU and EU waste. They won't even be able to hang on to the majority of their safe seats, let alone win any more.  It's very likely that even Cleggie will lose his seat.  Despite continuing BBC propaganda the only party that can replace Labour here is Ukip, and Melanie Hurst is a top performing local girl who will give Bedlington its due!

The weekend's Survation national poll:

LD; 7%

Ukip: 17%

Green: 3%

Other: 6%

ashington1.jpg

If Lavery gets in again my bet is that it will be tribal Tory votes who will make this possible.  The size of the Tory vote will be the true measure of our civc stupidity!

http://ukip.wansbeck.org/

This is an interesting time in politics.

Things appear to be changing, who knows what will happen.

My wish would be to see a great turnout, with people young and old getting politicians to sit up and take notice.

Our young people will change things if they get involved.

While our local councils have less power everyone talks about more power locally.

Devolved or independent.

Have the boundaries changed in Wansbeck since 1997.

The figures are very interesting rosco.

it means a vote for lib dems from me as they are the only party with any chance of catching labour in wansbeck.......labours majority has dropped from 22k 1997 13k 2001 11k 2005 7k 2010.....65% of vote in 1997 45% in 2010    .....SO HERES HOPING

The thing Is rosco when talking about 1997, 2001, and 2005 the turnout dropped from 71.7% in 1997 to 59.3% in 2001 and then 58.4% in 2005.

You can only look at 2005 and 2010 as a real fall in support with 55.2% of the vote in 2005 or 20,315 votes for Labour, compare that to 2010 45.9% of the vote or 17,548 votes for Labour, as the turnout increased from 58.4% in 2005 to 60.7% in 2010 or in number terms 36,809 people voted in 2005 increasing slightly to 38,273 in 2010.

It all depends on Turnout but I doubt anywhere in the whole UK will ever see 100% turnout.

Social Media are making people more aware of the issues.

No longer do people vote because of who they are and how their parents voted.

Indoctrination takes many many forms.

The BBC and Newspapers are just two examples.

Even on this site there seems often to be only one overstated viewpoint.

People have every right to be enthusiastic about the way forward but the electorate equally have the right to choose.

We call it democracy and hopefully we all get the decisions right.

My fear is we do not learn and end up with a divided society.

Basically

We are better together fighting for what we see is right and fair.

Maybe not agreeing but still prepared to work together.

The answer to your question Reedy is, yes, Lavery can be beaten. The support we have had in Bedlington alone has been tremendous, especially since we opened the shop/advice centre on the High Street.

Ashington is the most surprising, the interest shown by a lot of people there has really taken us aback. You would  be surprised at how many people over there are totally anti-Lavery. Most of the consensus of opinion by them is that they are embarrassed by his antics in parliament.

Not only Ashington though, only this morning a guy came into the shop and asked if he could have 6 (I'm Voting UKIP) window posters. He turns out to have been a long time Labour Councillor, serving for many years on the County Council, but was now voting UKIP. I asked him why, his answer was quite vitriolic about the Labour Party (he is 72 now) he has had enough of their constant broken promises, lies, corruption and deceit. He is from Morpeth but had travelled to Bedlington just for the window posters. Needless to say I welcomed him into the fold and he went away with a bundle of leaflets for his family and friends.

My point is, that its not just Bedlington, which I am proud to say has become our power base, it's spread quite well over the whole of the constituency. All we need is a last big effort up to election day, and our last public meeting on Tuesday 28th at the White House Club in Ashington will help that happen. Especially as the Deputy Leader, Paul Nuttall will be the main speaker, and he will certainly shake the foundations.

Yes, we believe we can beat Lavery, it will be close, but it is do-able.

• Like 4

I agree about his parliamentary antics being embarrasing. Both Lavery and Campell seem to be obsessed with mining issues (often debated on here). They should be more concerned with the future not the past. Time for change in both constituencies.

• Like 1

The thing is Reedy, you hear them constantly screaming in parliament for an apology from the Tories for the miners strike. But you never hear the Labour Party apologising for the Iraq war. So many dead and the middle east in turmoil, all due to Tony Blair and the Labour Party.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking to people in our area, There's been zero improvement in YEARS - Though plenty that has gotten worse! It's like labour have purposely held us back.

Labour will blame it on money, yet we have the sixth highest council tax in the country! (Higher even than Kensington - London!)

Time to get rid of lavery and get someone in who listens and cares about Wansbeck.

The LD are finished in the UK. The tories have no chance up here. Labour have failed us and held us back year after year... after year!

Reading the manifestos, there's only one that makes sense. (it's on http://ukip.wansbeck.org )

I know where my vote is going :)

• Like 1

Speaking to people in our area, There's been zero improvement in YEARS - Though plenty that has gotten worse! It's like labour have purposely held us back.

Labour will blame it on money, yet we have the sixth highest council tax in the country! (Higher even than Kensington - London!)

Time to get rid of lavery and get someone in who listens and cares about Wansbeck.

The LD are finished in the UK. The tories have no chance up here. Labour have failed us and held us back year after year... after year!

Reading the manifestos, there's only one that makes sense. (it's on http://ukip.wansbeck.org )

I know where my vote is going :)

DITTO.

Edited by Palance
  • Like 1

No it doesn't!  An LD vote is a totally wasted vote, even if you can stomach their crazy love affair with the EU and EU waste. They won't even be able to hang on to the majority of their safe seats, let alone win any more.  It's very likely that even Cleggie will lose his seat.  Despite continuing BBC propaganda the only party that can replace Labour here is Ukip, and Melanie Hurst is a top performing local girl who will give Bedlington its due!

The weekend's Survation national poll:

LD; 7%

Ukip: 17%

Green: 3%

Other: 6%

ashington1.jpg

They need to invest in a proof reader. This isva grammatical nightmare.

If Lavery gets in again my bet is that it will be tribal Tory votes who will make this possible.  The size of the Tory vote will be the true measure of our civc stupidity!

http://ukip.wansbeck.org/

Melanie's suggestions for Bedlington are well worth a read.

Excellent ideas regardless of who wins on Thursday.

All the candidates and councillors should take note.

No 'Doom and Gloom ' politics allowed.

Working together sharing ideas.

No one getting annoyed or unpleasant .

Democracy.

The pictures last night from Glasgow were shocking.

Intimidation and shouting surely never wins the argument.

Protest is fine but work for the good of all.

Interesting thought that  "Labour holds us back".. I was thinking about that today, could it be they fear if the lot of the local people improved, they would start getting ambition, thoughts of their own. Perhaps they would consider NOT voting in the standard Labour MP,  that cannot walk and scratch his arse at the same time. Interesting thought.. O well .... another five years it is. 

Short of there being a 'one issue' independant candidate (say, closure of a hopital) it's unlikely that a serious challenge could be mounted against somebody like Lavatory, unless ALL the rival parties united and put up a single candidate to fight the seat.  Unlikely to happen, although all those fundamentalist godbothering Unionist parties in Belfast East did it and won the seat back from the Alliance party because they didn't split their vote. 

• Like 1

Evening Chronicle online reports that Lavery has been asked and is considering standing for the vacant Labour Party leadership position.

There are also briefings this week for staff at King Edward V1 school in Morpeth to outline proposals to relocate the school into County Hall once its staff move to Ashington. The school site would then be sold for housing developments on the edge of the new northern relief road/bypass or the 'Ashington Expressway' as some are calling it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

County Hall  - thinks ... now why is it being moved? King Edwards sold for housing and relocated into County Hall? surely the council site is bigger and close enough to Lonesdean to be desirable - or is it a move to justify a hugely costly road which seems to serve no purpose.

It seems to be the trend these days to sell off school palying fields (Cramlington - Berwick - oops they couldnt make a decison and the NHS pulled out as they couldnt wait but I am sure a more profitable deal will be made)

Speaking of County Hall - can anyone tell me how many unions have offices there? and are they charged a commercial rate for the facilities? as I have never seen 'office space available for rent in prime location' advertised and will those same unions be given office space in any new county hall?? and why??

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

nice new news on county hall!!!

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/news/local/administration-hits-back-on-issue-of-hall-move-costs-1-7596049

and the chronicle and journal carry similar stories..

so costs are quoted as £34m and in the same document £38m -- hmmm and the usual local gov - overrun on costing is ??

the reasons for re-location being  that the building is no longer fit for purpose - ho hum -- more money to Ashington - but it appears that the site is ideal for the schools in the area to be relocated there -- road loading and infrastructure of course is not important.

and ooo but does that free up a huge tract of land over St Georges and the school site (who used to own Morpeth Common) etc for selling off to private developers?? and thus justifying the road to nowhere.

why - if it the present county hall is so terrible cant it be rebuilt on the present site?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now