Place Names

my favourite quote from any of the old Basil Rathbone/Sherlock films was -- Watson eating dinner in Holmes apartment and having great difficulty finishing off the 4-5 remaining peas on his plate as they were defying his efforts with knife and fork - (we all at some time have problems with wilful peas --ahem) - in the meantime Holmes was striding back and forth with his pipe pontificating on the latest case --- hope that sets the scene....

Holmes looked at Watson, walked over, took his fork, inverted it - flattened the peas thus allowing them to be scooped up with said fork, which he did and handed the ensemble to Watson.

Watson looked at Holmes aghast and said .....

'I say Holmes, it just isn't done for a chap to squash another fellows peas!' 

am I sad for remembering that?? or is it a shadow of bygone days??

A rather nice turn of phrase, Pilgrim and definitely not sad to remember it.

Maggie, that's a nice thought to play around with on a rainy day: What will our politicians be called by future historians? Maybe they will still be called politicians but - language change being what it is - the meaning of the word maybe something quite different!

history written by the victors - as ever was ... from the roman times through the Russian communist era- north Korea and closer to home -- the many many incidents of their less than greatest claims to fame in the past being expunged from the biographies of politicians here over the last 20 yrs. (and most of them didn't win!!)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now