A gold star for anybody who can tell me what this badge logo meant!![around 1955-ish]

Also,for the poem that the Pepsi-cola Rep. had every school kid in Bedlington chanting for what seemed like ages....at the Market-place....wouldn't have been allowed nooadays!

I am away oot wi Little Black  Jess ,noo,and a expect a response by thi time we get back in!!

If Foxy hasn't got a pic....aal eat grass!! 

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

It seems this was my better half's experience:-

At sixteen you could buy a BSA 250 cc.

Then after passing the test a triumph tiger 110 650cc

Again not a clue

Second hand Morris Minor for me.circa 1967

Indicators needed to be bashed to return.

Otherwise you appeared to be making a move to take off.

Still felt cars to be a waste of money.

Heh heh ! A bet Dot gie ye that one Vic!!

C'mon everybody!

Vic,let's keep it a while,then tell me what it stood for,and where you would find it!!

No answer on the Pepsi one then!!

Dot should know that one an aal !!

Maggie,when I was 17 yrs old,my marra offered me his BSA C15,250 single,for 20 pounds.

That was a months wages,as we only got 4 quid a week at the pit in those days.

My Father said "Nae bliddy noisy bikes coming in this hoose...ye'll kill ya bliddy 'sell....."

[even though HE used ti ride wi his Half-brother aal owa when HE was a young kid!!][Aye..."half-brother"...shenanagans went on in those days what they criticised the younger generation for in the 1960's!!

at least wor generation wanted ti mek love-not war!!!]

Anyway...I digress!....so it was another couple of years afore a did get me bike,nae Tiger 110's though....nea money....!!

Aaaahh, happy days!

So many sixteen year olds were flying aroond on big bikes and meeting tragedy,the government had to change the laws,only now the bike test laws are completely absurd!

Having said that,as a born-again biker,riding a HONDA CBR 125 R-D,2014 model,these bikes are just as fast,and sometimes faster,than some of the "big" bikes in the '60s![my marra's BSA Gold Flash could only dae 80 mph!]

I am content pottering around at the 50 mph mark,enjoying the freedom,and the fresh air,....between being poisoned by traffic exhaust fumes which you don't experience   sitting in the car!!

Sorry,Canny Lass,very good attempts but nowhere near,although one word is close,but the theme is what you will  never, in a month of Sunday's,...guess!

Why am I so sure?.....cos the bugga's absurd!![but it was a national phrase designed to boost an already well-founded  institution...if that is the correct word to use!!]

The whisper is,that Vic seems to be the only contender here!!.....[clue in there!]

Heh heh!

Sym,hoo did ye get it,not googlin' a hope.....![cos any daft bugga can find owt by daeing that!!]

A wud buy ye a pint, but aam tee-total sacrosanct!

Eggy,hae yi got thi badge,or did ye search for it?

My Son in London tuk a shoebox wi aal thi badges in,both his and my aad ones,[like the lovely enamelled Esso etc badges],when he moved doon theor.

This one was on every kids jacket lapel,sumtimes in plural,in the mid-1950's!

It was a big marketing campaign,ti get the public ti eat mair fish [and chips!].Posters up on aal the fish-shop walls etc.

Neabody's telt me waat thi Pepsi rhyme was ![and thi story attached......]....aam still  waitin'......[whistle whistle........]

By thi way,there was no "THE" in the slogan,even if a cartoonist has dropped it in.......otherwise the badge wud have had a "T" in it!!

It was simply......"Why  Ask Me Ask Whispering Fish"

Bliddy daft a thowt,but theor yi gan,it stimulated a bit o' interest!!

Fascinating stuff! I've had to google this now to find out more about it, but there's very little info (I notice the badge does have a 'The' on it Wilma, and is quite collectable these days)

Heh heh!

Sym,hoo did ye get it,not googlin' a hope.....![cos any daft bugga can find owt by daeing that!!]

A wud buy ye a pint, but aam tee-total sacrosanct!

Eggy,hae yi got thi badge,or did ye search for it?

My Son in London tuk a shoebox wi aal thi badges in,both his and my aad ones,[like the lovely enamelled Esso etc badges],when he moved doon theor.

This one was on every kids jacket lapel,sumtimes in plural,in the mid-1950's!

It was a big marketing campaign,ti get the public ti eat mair fish [and chips!].Posters up on aal the fish-shop walls etc.

Neabody's telt me waat thi Pepsi rhyme was ![and thi story attached......]....aam still  waitin'......[whistle whistle........]

By thi way,there was no "THE" in the slogan,even if a cartoonist has dropped it in.......otherwise the badge wud have had a "T" in it!!

It was simply......"Why  Ask Me Ask Whispering Fish"

Bliddy daft a thowt,but theor yi gan,it stimulated a bit o' interest!!

I don't have the badge, Symptoms reply jogged my memory.There was one for sale on ebay, starting bids £1.00 but it has now been withdrawn, no body wants it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131464209138

Fascinating stuff! I've had to google this now to find out more about it, but there's very little info (I notice the badge does have a 'The' on it Wilma, and is quite collectable these days)

Heh heh!

Merc,we used ti have a dozen of these badges each,every kid had them,every time anybody got a thruppeny bag o' chips,they got a badge.

Me and my Brother never got pocket money,so we either got the badges off Jeannie,[fish shop opposite the black bull],or given by gud friends,or swaps for bullrushes,or other laddie-stuff like that.

The slogan doesn't have THE in it!!......disregarding the top line on the badge....THAT isn't the slogan!!

I lived through all these first-time campaigns,and this was one of the dopiest ones going!!

"Why Ask Me Ask Whispering Fish"....= "W.A.M.A.W.F."........NOT "W.A.M.A.T.W.F.".....doesn't have the same effect does it?[it's musical....if you have a sense of rhythm!!]......rap.....rap.....rap!

At the time,in the very beginning,it was a trivia question from kids who hadn't yet got as far as getting a badge...me included,so it must have been a successful advertising campaign for it's time,not as successful as Pepsi,though!!

...........and I'm still waiting..........for the Pepsi slogan.......!!

The only time we got any money,was by picking blackberries,and selling them around the doors,our regular neighbours were always pleased,cos most housewives baked and made jams and chutneys in those days.

Then we sold bullrushes,cos they were fashionable ornaments after the war,some painted them with distemper,others ,like us kids,dipped them in paraffin,

lit them,and threw them in the night air,like the Indians in the cerbouy pitcha's![canna seem ti find the reet spellin ti convey hoo we sed that one!!]

Rose hips was another gud seller........!

Me Mutha was Victorian,in her ways,and made us go back and return any little bit of money,[usually a silver thruppeny-bit],for gaan a message for any of our neighbours,sayin"If ye canna dae a gud turn for nowt,then ye canna dae it at aal"!

But it was different selling stuff we had worked for!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now