Cowboys and Indians

Tha was nowt dangerous aboot hingin skinny laddies doon the Francis pit shaft on a plastic clothes line ti git the bords eggs either. Because the railway lines covering the shaft had a gap in them near the middle thi had ti dee a canny bit of climbing aroond ti git to the waals. But they did have safety rope ah suppose. 

The demise of the Indians was a sight to see when they had agreed that the cowboys had a Gatling gun. When you were playing Japs and English you didn't want to be captured alive by the Japs. Oh for the innocent days of childhood.

And now those "Indians" are some of our best friends and neighbours!  Bye the way anyone play Custer....

Funny how time went at a different speed in those days! I think 1 day =one week, 1 week= 1 month!!!! one snooze and a nap and the day is almost gone!

• Like 2

If you were an Indian you had to take your top off on a hot summers day you would be red raw with the sun & your mum would put loads of cream on you to try & sooth you no sunblock in them days.

Funny how time went at a different speed in those days! I think 1 day =one week, 1 week= 1 month!!!! one snooze and a nap and the day is almost gone!

Spot on Vic, a year felt like an eternity and Christmas seem as if it would never come.

Knights in armor was another good game. We would get cardboard boxes from the shops, paint crests on them, a big box for body armor and smaller one for your heed a bit of cardboard cut in the shape of a shield and a bit of wood for a sword.  

In the nineties went to Jackson Tennessee seen the cannonball express & Casley Jones house Indians didn't. Chase him but he was a legend alan hale jnr I'm not going to sing the song lol

Knights in cardboard box crests - that was ootright sophisticated. Hahd on a minute here. Joustin on bikes wi claes props for lances an' dustbin lids for shields - am I just imaginin' it or did that really happen?  

Edited by paul mann

Knights in cardboard box crests - that was ootright sophisticated. Hahd on a minute here. Joustin on bikes wi claes props for lances an' dustbin lids for shields - am I just imaginin' it or did that really happen?  

Never got as far as claes props and dustbin lids, just a bit of cardboard wi a bit of string through it for a shield and wooden swords.

When we played cowboys and indians you never got killed, you just counted to ten and you where alive again.

Edited by Pete

It was usually Japs and English when I was at Junior school.  We would hold both arms out straight (like wings) and with thumbs sticking out (like machine guns) would run around the playgroung shouting 'rat a tat tat' (shooting) at those drawn to be the Japs.

Set'di aftanyuun matinee,if ye were lucky enuff ti get a treat,Roy Rogers,and ivry bugga slapped tha arses aal thi way doon the street from thi top-end pitcha's!!

Mind,even at a very young age,it was H.G.Wells for me preferably...aa was aalwis fascinated by space after Sputnik was laanched.

Robbie the Robot!!...a used ti fantisize wat it wud it be like hevin a robot runnin aroond the hoose,and nae bugga wud pick on yi ootside!

Jim Bowie and Tarzan,kept the Sheffield Steel industry inundated wi orders for Bowie knives.....musta dun man!!

Us kids used ti gaan reet doon inti thi oppencast cut,and play on the Draglines feet and aal aroond the other machines...nae security then.....didn't need it....naebody damaged owt.......if a set of ten-eleven year olds were gaana damage Bucyrus Erie's bucket,or any of the Euclids,a divvent think they wud be much gud for howkin oot thi biggest Man-made hole in Europe in 1954!

They were lang happy days !!

Smudge,it was great sitting in thi middle of the shaft rails,and hoying stones doon thi shaft and hearing the deep booming soonds as ya styens boonced off the waals on tha way doon!

Little things pleased little minds eh!

Does anybody remember Gene Audrey's horse. It was called Champion (I don't think it was Champion the Wonder Horse from the later tv series). The horse had a pistol attached to its headgear that it could fire with it's tongue and shoot the guns out of outlaws hands. I thought I had dreamt this but when we cleared my Dad's house we found one of my old Gene Audrey annuals. There it was: a picture of the horse with the gun. I've still got the annual somewhere. I'll have to hunt it out and post the picture here.  

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now