Whitley Memorial Football Team 1958-59 - Help Needed

Below is a printed copy of a photograph that I have just found in an old box of papers & photos. I think I printed it off the GeoCities site in 2001 (14 years ago). I used to have an original photo of this football team, but can't remember where it went. 

I've tried to get back onto the GeoCities web-site but this doesn't exist anymore. Then Yahoo (who owned GeoCities) destroyed all of it's history in 2009. So I'm struggling to get a clearer image of the team.

Some of the lads in the team are slightly familiar to me and I recognise them and some I'm aware of some of their life since the photo was taken, but mostly I haven't a clue what became of of them.

So, does anyone have any knowledge or experience in retrieving stuff out of their archives or is it something I should forget.

Or, even better, does anyone know of anyone who might have a decent original photo of this team?

post-3199-0-77724400-1427736678_thumb.jp

The names of the team members are :-

Back Row L?R Brian Dixon, Allan Laws, George Chaplehow, Robert Wilson, Melvyn Dodds.

Front Row, Mr. Matty Hall (as you would expect), Jack Kidd, George Wilkinson, David Gray, Derek Jefferson, John Hedley, Thomas Reddell.

If I remember correctly, Derek Jefferson played professional football for Ipswich and the Wolverhampton Wanderers   

Ovalteeny - I think I knew one of the lads on that team, Brian Dixon, and as the other names don't ring any bells I think he could be younger than the rest.

We had a Brian Dixon that went to WM in our year, Bedlington Grammar - 1st year 1960 - good defender - Salvation Army member - cousin (didn't play football) John Dixon.

I have never used (or even heard of) GeoCities so don't really know what I am looking for but rather than watch soaps with the wife or watch a friendly international I had a Google about!

There is a GeoCities archive site www.archiveteam.org. Within the first page is a section "How can I find a page or website I'm looking for?" That passes you to "

External links"

Within in that section there are geocities addresses that take you to a web site  - www.reocities.com/

It's opening page starts with - 

Welcome To ReoCities...

If this is your first visit here, please sign the petition

Here lies what we could salvage from the ashes of GeoCities. ....................  

Edited by Eggy1948

Thanks Eggy 1948, I'll try and follow the GeoCities thread and see if I can get to the original posting of this football team.

In regards to Brian Dixon, yes he was a year younger than the rest of the team, as was Derek Jefferson, I think!

Brian Dixon s dad was called Norman and they were Salvation Army. But (and here's another link) Norman worked for T. James & Sons (haulage Contractors & Coal Merchants) at Bedlington Station and that is where i had my first ever job (in September 1964). Norman was the garage foreman and ensured all the lorries were serviced and roadworthy. I was the office Junior!!!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now