Forst tab

By the way, I'm the same as Maggie/915 in not ever smoking. I too would listen to my Dad & Mam coughing & choking very night, with their smokers hacks and think to myself "what's the point". Not to mention the smell and the stained clothes, furniture, wallpaper, everything bloody stained & stinking. I think I was once tempted (by the lads in our gang) to a quick drag when I was 12 or 13, almost instantly threw up and vowed to never again go anywhere near the horrible things.

Now beer & alcohol was a completely different matter.  

ovalteeny - I can assure you that you are not alone - the blight of the 'snouff' is all over the county we have had it and it keeps coming back ..although I haven't had a really proper green hockle for many years and I still smoke - not a tree frog in sight lol

Probably R.N. - uncle in the Navy or Senior Service, older uncle pretending to be in a better armed force.

Various Polish & American cigs bought, very cheaply if you had a sister, off the boat crews that tied up in Blyth where we fished for poddlers.

Capstain Full Strength, nicked from the packet of granda the pit deputy.

Woodbine - what relatives would give you at age 14 for running a message, putting coals in etc.

.post-3031-0-55057800-1425849840_thumb.jp 

Remember lots of people smoking embassy because they used to have a catalogue which you could get stuff from,they used to put

coupons in there packets.5 points in a 20pkt 2 points in a 10 to get a decent gift you had to smoke thousands me mother & father used to save them & put them in bundles of a hundred with a laca band around them.me & my brother used to nick the odd bundle as Wards

shop which was at the top of Millbank Rd would give you 5p for a hundred. When the wards left Arthur & Jean Smith took it over

I don't know if the shop exists now hopefully somebody from the forum could tell what happened to the Smiths...

Was it not "kensitas" that had vouchers in?

Extract from Wikipedia only the 'Club' brand had gift tokens the earlier brands had picture cards :-

Club (or Kensitas Club as it was once known), is a brand of cigarette distributed by Gallaher tobacco and available only in the United Kingdom. Club comes in a distinct blue packaging with club written on it and a lion's head on the packet. Each cigarette contains 10mg of carbon monoxide, 10mg of tar and 0.8mg of nicotine. Unlike other brands, Club is only available in a King size variety with no lighter or menthol substitutes. Although lights were available at one time, they have since been discontinued. The brand built its popularity using gift coupons enclosed within cigarette packets which could be saved and redeemed at Kensitas Gift Centres in major UK cities.

post-3031-0-27744300-1426602322_thumb.jp

I've posted elsewhere on the Forum about my maternal granny but this snout thread stirred a memory of seeing round metal tins (maybe a couple of inches in dia and about 3" high) packed with tabs in her house ... this would be early to mid 1950s.  These were sent to her by her eldest son who was a Commander in the Royal Navy ... I'm guessing here, but they were probably part of his 'free' fag ration sent home to her.  I remember them being plain (no paper label) but maybe with a pressed logo on the lid;  they probably held 20 to 30 snouts.  The tin concept probably made good sense for waterproof packaging on the 'high seas'.

I don't think they encouraged you to smoke more but more to smoke their brand, just the same as Green Shield Stamps etc, I remember saving animal pictures from Turf cigarettes, that didn't go down well as mom and dad preferred to smoke Wild Woodbines!

Down by "The Rocks†in Sydney I was in a museum that had a small room dedicated to cigarettes cards, they were from sports like cricket, football to animals, cars trains etc many I recognised that my dad had in a collectors album (I wonder where that is now?)

I think the movies sponsored by cigarette companies were the most guilty of encouraging smoking, Sgt Bilko etc

A bit off topic but Brooke Bond used to have all sorts of cards in their packets of tea leaves. (Not PG Tips, the other one) Not that far off topic though I did try to smoke the tea leaves.

I seem to remember some sort of 'stamps' starting in the NE.

Then maybe the idea catching on.

The Coop 'Divi' maybe covered in the next History Society meeting.

The cards were often given away with tea.

Various subjects.

Now selling framed at a price.

Smoking then away we go.

Who knows where any thread ends up.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now