Bedlington Investment Petition

Adam Hogg

Adam, Malcolm, Anybody, just a simple question. What does  Purdah mean?

Below is an extract from an e-mail I revieved because I signed the pettion.

As this petition has now closed, a response will be organised and presented to a future meeting of the South East Area Committee.

Confirmation will be provided in due course about the date of the meeting to which the report will be presented, which is expected to be after Purdah in May or June. Further details will follow.

As this petition has now closed, a response will be organised and presented to a future meeting of the South East Area Committee.

Confirmation will be provided in due course about the date of the meeting to which the report will be presented, which is expected to be after Purdah in May or June. Further details will follow.

Thanks Malcolm, it's Interesting to see that this Word stems from the screen used in the preservation of women's modesty. albeit in Turkey and not in India where I first came across it.  I still can't see any Connection with it's use in British politics.

I agree CL, I don't see its connection, it was probably a word conjured up to confuse fools like me into believing that MPs where intelligent.

• Like 1

Pete, the idea with the privacy screens in India is to preserve wömen's modesty but equally so to prevent men getting overly excited at the sight of a woman - as they do! So they are about keeping things in the dark, as it were, and preventing undue excitement. I Think I might be beginning to see a Connection here.

• Like 1

Pete, the idea with the privacy screens in India is to preserve wömen's modesty but equally so to prevent men getting overly excited at the sight of a woman - as they do! So they are about keeping things in the dark, as it were, and preventing undue excitement. I Think I might be beginning to see a Connection here.

CL, now that you have explained that, I to can see a connection.

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who signed my petition calling for Investment in Bedlington.

Thanks everyone, I will keep everyone updated about the progress of the petition and what the county council will do.

Good Luck Adam.

I heard about one petition about the old school that was presented to the council never to be seen or heard of again..

These days just one hard copy cannot be lost.

The internet has it's advantages..

We need to keep this topic current.

I think times will change for Bedlington and everyone will help.

Some may need help to see that change is in everyone's interest.

Even Ashington centric county councillors.

Bedlington has the very best of locations.

The Front Street is always going to be impressive.

Brilliant for 'Miners Picnic's.

All we need is that investment.

Small steps that change everything.

It's that Little Word 'for' that makes it confusing Foxy. It's a politicians favourite because it has so many different meanings. That makes it easy for them to wriggle out of things when the going gets tough. That sentence can be read in several different ways. What they want the reader to read is:

Labour has delivered, is delivering and will continue to deliver to the benefit of Bedlington.

What the reader should read is:

Labour has delivered, is delivering and will continue to deliver on behalf of Bedlington.

The failure to use the direct- and indirect objects (what's being delivered and to whom) only adds to the confusion. If we now add those the sentence could read:

Labour has delivered, is delivering and will continue to deliver, on behalf of Bedlington, all Money intended for Bedlington (direct object), to the people of Ashington (indirect object).

Isn't syntax wonderful! Just imagine what could happen if they learned to use the Word to!

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 3

Could I draw on your vast knowledge of languages Canny lass and ask,

Does it have as many meanings as NOT?  ie

Not getting anything,  Not ever had anything,  Not answering any of your questions,  Not had time to visit  Bedlington,  the money's  NOT coming here it's going to Ashington  and I'll  NOT be sorry to see the back of them. 

• Like 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now