Bedlington Investment Petition

Adam Hogg

Hello everyone,

Some of you who know me personally will know I have started a petition calling for the county council to Invest in Bedlington.

I have now created and opened an E-petition on the county councils website.

Here is the link:

http://committees.northumberland.gov.uk/elps/entity/AeopCkAIborfEERcZNBCURW?searchreq=50

Please sign and share it with Friends, family, work colleagues, etc.

And lets put Bedlington back on the map!

Adam, I signed the petition I'll ask some of the members when I'm at congress house on the 6th of March to get on board for you.

I do think this is a better way forward than you know what.

Thanks Tonyp, The more people sign it the better, lets put Bedlington back on the map!

Adam, I signed the petition I'll ask some of the members when I'm at congress house on the 6th of March to get on board for you.

I do think this is a better way forward than you know what.

It's not an OR Tony.  You can sign the petition AND vote for real change!

Kippers don't do standing in the rain chanting slogans.  They're for hitting the establishment where it matters - right in their six figure retainers, expense accounts, and fat pensions!

can I sign as having a relevant interest~?? I live wayyyyyyyyyyy up north in the county (in the bit without streetlights) now but still own a house down there. would not want to devalue the 'cause' as seeming to be an outsider.

Pilgrim, It does not matter where you live, as long as you want to see Bedlington rise from the ashes of under investment.

Has anyone actually pinpointed when the demise started and how it came about?? - yes the mines closed but that was way before any of the closures post Thatcher etc. Did the 'county' or local authorities put anything in place then for the future? and did the shire actually get any of the huge amounts set aside after the demise of the NCB or was it excluded because the mines had already closed?? - that was a serious question as I have no idea of the timeline. it is something which has happened to many small communities but Bedlington was once actually quite a major centre, and for many 100's of years, with steel and railway development and the mines.

It certainly needs investigating.

The why and wherefore /s.

Even the sign posts on the A1 and A189 tell a story !

Bedlington with all its history has been edited out.

One information post in Gallagher Park even misses Bedlington off.

That is on an overview map detailing major towns ie Blyth Morpeth but not Bedlington.

I have posted the picture elsewhere on the site .

I will try to post it again.

Well done Adam for trying to change things .

Who know maybe someone somewhere will listen and do something.

Just maybe the people with any influence will feel ashamed they have not acted before now.

One thought did strike me after reading a post on a different thread about 'isolationism' etc. perhaps the shire is actually placed in an ideal situation to be a major distribution hub. it is central to the south east Northumberland plain, has access to Tyne Dock/Scandinavia/ Blyth Dock and close enough to the A19 and A1 to act as a 'nodal distribution point'. the land is available (and relatively cheaply!) and there is a large local population which could service the industries and point of sale areas of the Tyne Valley and Newcastle and also act as a staging post for access to 'over the border' as it is ideally placed between the Teesside conurbation and Edinburgh/Glasgow (bear in mind drivers hours etc etc.). It would provide local work, albeit in a 'service' industry but could actually mean that the shire would be a major player in the European transport network. (daft or what??) 

3G I think your gripe is with Ian not the Labour Party I think you should go to one of his surgeries & tell him how you feel take willyj

with you incase you need notes

Tony, Lavery is an anachronism. If he's not gone this time around he won't be around in 2020.  If he had the basic intelligence to realise he was now in the wrong party he'd be worth talking to.

If the Labour Party genuinely returned to its roots, and opposed the EU once again, I'd be voting for it for the first time in my life! 

At a Labour Party conference on 26 April 1975, the Labour membership rejected continuing EEC membership by almost a 2:1 margin. Tony Benn said "We have had a conference and the decision is clear ... It is very clear that there now must be a move for the Labour Party to campaign." The majority of the Labour Party leadership was strongly for continuing membership, and the margin of the party vote was not a surprise, since only seven of forty-six trade unions present at the conference supported EEC membership.

But, what did the manipulators in your party do?  They knew that they could just scrape a third of the vote, so they set the threshold for against at two to one!  Now that's real democracy for you!  Alex Salmond would give his right arm to get that sort of lunacy accepted.

And... let's look at the Tory side of the coin:

Much of the "Yes" campaign focussed on the credentials of its opponents. According to Alastair McAlpine, "The whole thrust of our campaign was to depict the anti-Marketeers as unreliable people – dangerous people who would lead you down the wrong path ... It wasn't so much that it was sensible to stay in, but that anybody who proposed that we came out was off their rocker or virtually Marxist.".

Tony Benn controversially claimed "Half a million jobs lost in Britain and a huge increase in food prices as a direct result of our entry into the Common market", using his position as Industry Minister as an authority. His claims were ridiculed by the "Yes" campaign and ministers; the Daily Mirror labelled Benn the "Minister of Fear" and other newspapers were similarly derisive. Ultimately, the "No" campaign lacked a popular, moderate figure to play the public leadership role for their campaign that Jenkins and Wilson fulfilled in the "Yes" campaign.

Yes, I admit it!  As a stupid youngster, I swallowed the propaganda too!  Note that's exactly the same LabLibCon collusion that goes on today, and exactly the same ("fruitcake and loony") tactics they still use against the people. They can't logically argue the case, so deflect the arguments and use smear tactics.

You know what? Those trade unionists (and Benn) were right!  But none of them could reasonably have foreseen the sinister political element, which is still on course to remove our country of its sovereignty.  But, today we do have "a popular, moderate figure to play the public leadership role", and an national organisation behind him.

What's it all in aid of?  It's to maintain a ruling elite, and in the case of the EU a supra-national ruling elite. It has nothing to do with improving the lot of ordinary people, and is a travesty of popular democracy.  It can only succeed if they can fool people like you into a meek acceptance of their system.  But, it gets far more sinister if you take the time to observe where the EU is heading.  The buzzword is post-democracy.  What that really means is that there is a limited time window for people to come to their senses and fight to maintain popular democracy.

How many times have you heard people say "they are all the same"?  That's because at surface level no one can miss the truth. But that's the only the level you are permitted to observe. Vote LidLabCon and you are a patsy for the exactly the same trick. The political shenanigans is a illusion put on for mass consumption - it's the same willing mass deception as WWE Wrestling. Do yourself a favour and find out what post-democracy really amounts to!

"daft or what??"

Great idea, but the rail  network would have to be vastly upgraded, the roads improved, and so on. Oh, and the 'NIMBY's' wouldn't like the bloody great lorries and the inevitable call for new housing that the surge in employment would bring.

Edited by mercuryg

mercuryg -- wasn't there a plan to include Bedlington on the metro network?? ooo don't get me started about NIMBYs!!!! - and isn't that a terrible idea - upgrading the rail network and the local roads, and Gawd forbid that there should be an upturn in folk wanting housing in the shire  and actually having a surge in employment!!! absolutely disgraceful!!!

They are building a  new hospital at Cramlington (had to be done) but from the number of cars in the compound (as I spent some time down there sorting out my mothers property etc.) I am wondering how much employment was contracted out locally?? I would suggest it was all done by 'inworkers' - maybe the county should insist on a  %  of  local contractors when they embark on such major works??

"..wasn't there a plan to include Bedlington on the metro network?..."

Malcolm (and others) may be able to answer you more readily but I do seem to recall that there was such a plan; was it to use the same line as the current Blyth and Tyne route uses (of which there were/are plans to restore a passenger service)?

"I am wondering how much employment was contracted out locally?"

I don't know, and get your point.However, I do know of many local people who have been to the walk-in appointments regarding future employment at the hospital, and it is going to need a hell of a lot of people!

that can only be a good thing - but I have the sense that this was a major work in progress that could have provided a lot of work locally - it may have been done - and also many local firms cannot take on major contracts - but it is perhaps something the 'county' should look at 

Every time you hear a politician say…”the British People……” you know whatever they go on to say is a completely fabricated lie!

A hang-over from "the American people" that we heard with appalling regularity in their election campaign?  Now in The International Spin-doctor Handbook?

Latest cliché seems to be "It is right to...".  Count them!

The pressure group want the mainline because of what it will offer after Ncl. Personally I would support the Metro extension idea?

Common Sense for a mainline connection Malcolm. :withstupid:

A metro extension would cost much, much more then a mainline connection Malcolm, overhead wires, signalling restructuring, plus the bus companies would not be happy as they would have to pull the double deckers out of service because of the height of overhead wires.

Plus the connections at Newcastle and Morpeth would be taken out as Network rail would not let a metro (trams) run on the east coast mainline, Then you have cut off the Port of Blyth and Lynemouth Power station for freight trains making them very unhappy.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now