Bedlington Investment Petition

Adam Hogg

Maybe the pre election propaganda will be unleashed soon and I'm expecting Lavery's bunch along with NCC and ARCH to make  an announcement  about major investment plans for Bedlington.  Of course any such investment would have to be put on the back burner until other projects at  Ashington Football Club,  Ashington Sports Centre and the Ashington headquarters of NCC are completed.   

Aah, sorry, been out of town so much I'm losing touch (The Lion's takings must have plummeted, they've not seen me since Tuesday!)

"Not even gonna bite........."

But now is the best time Malcolm,  seeing as you won't get hairs in your sandwich anymore!

Is there anyway to sign without giving an e mail address.

I wonder if this will put people off signing Adam.

There are still people with no internet access.

Remember to give details of how the petition is going.

ie how many people have signed to date.

I wonder what publicity the cause could achieve.

It makes one hell of a story.

Injustice and maybe corruption.

Perhaps merely self interest, money going to other towns.

Bedlington from important to irrelevant.

Only in the eyes of the people with the power.

Arguments about all main roads not bringing people to our town apply equally to Blyth , Ashington and Morpeth.

Even Cramlington!

Morpeth may get a Northern bypass.

Less traffic going through has never affected Morpeth.

I believe things will change.

They must !

Bedlington must become a priority to our elected leaders.

Is there anyway to sign without giving an e mail address.

I wonder if this will put people off signing Adam.

There are still people with no internet access.

Yes there is a Way Maggie to sign it without giving out your Email address, I have a hard copy you can sign also.

Maggie has Raised an excellent point though, How is the petition doing?

Well here we are at this moment 361 people have signed the online one.

61 people have signed the Hard copy one.

I would like to thank everyone who have signed it.

But also ask those who have not signed it to please do so and help put Bedlington Back on the map.

Maybe the pre election propaganda will be unleashed soon and I'm expecting Lavery's bunch along with NCC and ARCH to make  an announcement  about major investment plans for Bedlington.  Of course any such investment would have to be put on the back burner until other projects at  Ashington Football Club,  Ashington Sports Centre and the Ashington headquarters of NCC are completed.   

Coming Soon.......watch this space, !!!

"Arguments about all main roads not bringing people to our town apply equally to Blyth , Ashington and Morpeth.
Even Cramlington!"

Not really,Maggie; Cramlington is two minutes off the Spine Road, Asda is on the Spine Road, the Blyth out of town shopping centres are two minutes down Cowpen Road (which I will freely admit is a horrible road for traffic), Morpeth is just off the A1, and so on.I'll give you Ashington. To get to Bedlington you have to really WANT to come here, or need to. That's what we need to think about. Investment is great, we need it, but in what, precisely? I simply don't see retail as ever being the answer, and clearly neither do the major retailers, which is something else we should take note of.

People coming to our town was not a problem in the past.

I remember a town centre and shops that attracted a variety of people from a variety of places.

The East and West end of the town were always busy.

The Swimming Baths were used by all on a regular basis.

The Railway line brought people to the town and allowed access to the coast.

The market days were always busy.

Bedlington provided everything that was required or needed.

Some folk still chose never to go to Newcastle if they can help it !

Cramlington had not been invented.

Maggie, you're absolutely right, but I don't think looking to the past is the answer. A lot has changed, especially in the way people live their lives nowadays, since small towns like this one were thriving. The past is another country, etc....As for the railway, I'd like very much to see it reinstated, but would it really draw enough use? I'd like to think so, but am not so sure. 

As for pilgrim's question "And why is Cowpen road such an abomination??"

Well, apart from being the road to hell, it's pretty much the only in/out route into the county's most populous town, unless you choose (as I do) to take the round-about route via South Beach.I have been told that, during rush hour, it is the busiest road in the county (although am not sure this is altogether true). There was a plan, I believe, to bridge the river from where the power station stood or thereabouts.

The way to 'use' the railway for our benefit, and other towns of course, is to use the station as a commuter stop but have a half decent range of businesses there to exploit the potential passing trade. We don't build towns around markets anymore!..................

Most populated 'Town' in Northumberland is now Cramlington with just over 40,000! .............

An idea I tried to float many years ago was to have a secondary Blyth access route off the spine road, down Sleekburn and Cambois, then across the river right into the heart of Blyth Town. Seems the cost of a bridge stopped that one. However these days we see NAREC with large sites on both sides of the river, and indeed an enterprise zone at North Blyth, surly a bridge is called for now? ..................................

Cowpen Road is a bottleneck, simples!

Coming Soon.......watch this space, !!!

Getting Nearer.....not long now

The way to 'use' the railway for our benefit, and other towns of course, is to use the station as a commuter stop but have a half decent range of businesses there to exploit the potential passing trade. We don't build towns around markets anymore!.................. Most populated 'Town' in Northumberland is now Cramlington with just over 40,000! ............. An idea I tried to float many years ago was to have a secondary Blyth access route off the spine road, down Sleekburn and Cambois, then across the river right into the heart of Blyth Town. Seems the cost of a bridge stopped that one. However these days we see NAREC with large sites on both sides of the river, and indeed an enterprise zone at North Blyth, surly a bridge is called for now? .................................. Cowpen Road is a bottleneck, simples!

Interesting stuff Malcolm! Can we reinstate Choppington Station too please?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now