Leaving the 'Shire'

Maggie/915

Leaving or coming to live in the 'Shire'.

I left the 'Shire' 47 years ago on Saturday.

Lots of people remarked on my accent and asked 'where are you from?'

Given my answer of 'about 15 miles North of Newcastle' , there was all to often the cry of :-

'you must be pleased to be living here now'

It seems this attitude is no longer too prevalent.

Tourist figures are 'up' and Robson Green is doing another set of programme on our beloved area.

History can be about change .

It seems our lives have seen huge changes .

I did not leave the 'Shire' to take a ring to Mount Doom but it has made me very grateful to return.

First to visit my parents , friends and family and now in retirement to live a simple life surrounded by people I feel comfortable and 'at home with'.

Perhaps sharing our positive memories will help to bring us all together and stop the arguments about politics.

Not that there is any problem with arguments but we need to remember the positive and forget the negative.

My life led me to live in Cyprus during the years up to and after 'The Coup' taking place.

Life in a divided Island was /is difficult to understand.

Cypriots both Turkish and Greek lived happily together.

One act changed all that and the problems still exist to this day.

Let us celebrate our lives here or wherever we are now.

Perhaps others would enjoy sharing their experiences of leaving .

Equally maybe others would enjoy sharing experiences of staying living or coming to live in the 'Shire' during such times of change.

One memory I have is sugar being in short supply ( late 70s or early 80s).

My mother queued in the Market for the odd bag of sugar but then queued up again for another.

The gossip was good and there was jam or chutney to make.

I have used the term 'Shire' because it seems people are not always remembering the whole

Bedlingtonshire History.

Divided we should not be.

Sorry Symptoms nearly forgot you.

Surely you watched the programme the other night.

If not it was on ITV eight o clock Monday night.

Featured Dolphins near Beadnell , Cragside and even skinny dipping in Druridge Bay.

He was also on local TV discussing the programme.

Sting has put on another show in April at the Sage.

I know you will be interested.

Just to keep that sense of humour going strong!

Spot-on again Maggie!

You will always have the negatives,part of physics.....pity,I always see a glass half-full!

Too many dooners,we only have one innings,we shud be grateful for having the best County in Britain..!

The only people who pull it doon,are those who haven't even been aroond and seen hoo luvly it is...away from the pub!

Was waaking little black Jess doon the Wanny river the other day,[another luvly place for families wi kids],and got on,as ye dae,taakin ti a stranger with her little dog.

Luvly lass,she had her own place over in Spain,somewhere,for a lot of years,and has recently sold it and started to holiday in this Country,with a touring

caravan.

She and her husband were blown away with the Lake District,for starters,but didn't know where the best places north of Ashington were.

They were going to go up the east coast of Scotland,in the summer,but my Wife and I advised them,that it has to be the Cheviots ,first,cos they liked walking,then go up the West Coast of Scotland.

We toured this country length and breadth,for over twenty years,[never been abroad,or even on a plane,except Concorde,but that's another story!]

and have never had the inclination to want to travel to Spain,or wherever,and spend a fortnight in heat so intense that it would kill me,and lie lazily by a pool,or the beach.

What suits one,doesn't suit another,but when I used to go up the Glencoe pass,or go over to Skye,or Mull,or Fort William,it used to beat me,when I came back to work,and marra's who had been abroad,had a fortnights bad weather,or it was too hot,and they had to stay in the shade...usually a pub!

Me being a tee-totaller,and a walker and hiker,who loves nature,failed to see the attraction of other countries,when ours is the most beautiful,cos you can

go into it without an armed police guard,or don't need to be a mountain climber!!

Someone dust off his dummy will they :lol:

Heh heh,Adam,that soonds like it came stryght from aan aad pitmmen's gob!!

Methinks some things rub off onto wa offspring withoot wi realising it!!

Nice one Marra![ we aal knaa it's ownly a bit o' banter....divvent wae?]

HPW, I'm afraid I would have been a mod! Always loved The Who!!

Back on the subject, I love this county, and the immediate area I live in.  I've been here 22 years now, having been brought up in a VERY affluent part of Cheshire (Dad was a journo on the Telegraph in Manchester). Most of the people down there were wealthy; we were simply ordinary.

I came back here because I always considered it my home, my family having originated here, and I have never regretted it. The people are great - I'm fortunate to have a fantastic set of neighbours and to live in a very wonderful place - and count myself lucky I have the coast within a few minutes reach, stunning open countryside equally near, and one of the most beautiful and vibrant cities in the country a short bus ride away. Give me this place over anywhere.

I have seen a few items listed by 'Robson Greene' along the Tyne valley etc.

Anyhows - we have 80 mile of coast which is mostly unused - there are regularly days when you can wander about for a couple of hours without seeing anyone and the same applies to the Cheviots. We might only have one day of summer a year, but look on the bright side -- if it was ever warm up here you would have 80 miles of tourist resorts in a solid line right along the coast!!!

Say nowt and keep it to ourselves!!

(oh and the county has about 365 castles, bastles and fortified towers dotted about)

On a typical day within a mile of home I can see deer, red squirrel, more buzzards than you can imagine, and kestrels, all of which used to visit the garden in our old house, and that was on a toad migration route so once a year for a couple of weeks you swept young toads out of the house daily - its amazing to see the grass in a paddock 'moving' with them on their travels.

There are some fantastic geological sights and amazing rock pools along the coast, and all for free. I often moan at the child and remind her there are downsides to rural life but folk actually pay good money to spend a week here on holiday and we get it all year round for nowt! 

Edited by pilgrim

Dear Tonyp

Maybe just maybe you need to come home.

Life in Greenwich and the South has coloured your perception of Blyth Bedlington and Ashington.

Last time I walked through Greenwich Market I saw a mix of people.

Congestion and low emission zones we do not need here.

We can visit the coast without a lengthy journey.

Night life is the same everywhere.

Things can get very out of hand.

Alcohol and petty crime are problems no one escapes.

I have read of some terrible problems in London.

The Riots, Stephen Lawrence, people and children expecting to be mugged on the underground or simply on their journey to and from work.

One friend in Croydon was subject to an attempted mugging outside his home.

Fortunately he is 6ft 8" and the mugger ended up with problems.

We have friends who simply do not go out at night in London.

Too much hassle.

In the North we have freedom and people enjoy a good quality of life.

Ask your son in Widdrington.

Life in the South can be challenging.

However keep telling people it is 'Grim 'up here.

If that is how you feel.

Remember we have it all and who wants to share.

(Bank holidays and the back roads to beautiful countryside with no other cars.)

What could possibly be better, certainly not life in the smoke and pollution of London.

Visits to London are fine for a while but living there must be a challenge even for you Tonyp.

Maggie I love Northumberland definitely the best county in the UK that I agree on the bank holiday issue if a firm wants you to work you work, the only holidays your entitled to is Xmas day & Boxing Day the rest is up to the employer gov guide lines I'm afraid...

"Visits to London are fine for a while but living there must be a challenge"

It's a wonderful city,full of history and interest, but I couldn't live there - or, in fact, in any city.

I used to commute to London - park on platform at Newcastle central 7am, train  - finish work at 4;30 -  5:30 train back and home for 9pm - a long day but it was what I did. although I visited London many times for many reasons and never liked it -- too hot - too busy - but magic for the likes of the British museum and the imperial war museum!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

My eldest Son has lived in North Finchley,in an upstairs Victorian,[Tudor-styled],flat,for the last twenty-six years...only cos he had to move down there with it being the hub of the music business....[or it USED to be...before computers and Simon Cowell killed it off!]

He has leafy green avenues,with apple trees,laburnums,willows ,etc brushing your face as you walk down in the summer time,a nice view of green meadows in the distance,from his rear balcony,a 10-mile long walk along a tree-lined little brook,which takes you through urban areas,and out into open countryside,Green Parakeets,loads of other birds,Foxes ,etc,a tube station 200 yards away,what more could you want?........

....Ask Him,and you'll get your answer immediately!!!!!

Northumbria.....!! ....THAT'S what you want!,cos for all the lovely things he has,it is countered by the fact that it takes you a half-hour to go up the road,about half a mile!!

Congestion is getting worse,nowhere to park sometimes,even in his own avenue,permits required.....ughhhh!!

It's a quiet mixed race neighbourhood,with some lovely people,but gie me ..[AND him!].....our homeland!!!!

Cheers Maggie,I'll check it oot on U-Tube,cos nowt's happening  here!

My Son is a Recording Engineer/Record Producer  with his own small but great studio,wi loads of vintage gear.[google Triangle Studio]

Twenty six years ago,before computers killed the recording studios off on a massive scale[worldwide,]London was the place to be.

Now,it's a struggle to find work coming in for my Son,and all the studios which are left.[in America also].

He has had more success lately with Danish,Polish,Portugese,and Spanish artists.

When he comes up north,the first thing he wants to do,is take a trip to Wooler,or Hadston country Park.

We went away every weekend to Wooler,right up the hills,with a 12foot Sprite Alpine touring caravan,and walked miles over the Cheviots! 

As kids my Sons played in the stream,fishing,building dams with stones,as laddies did....bows and arrows,and even target shooting with air weapons,[when very young],my youngest Son had an air rifle when he was nine years old,couldn't carry it,too big and heavy,but I used to have it on a mount so he could lie down to use it.[on targets]

They grew up with a very healthy respect for the countryside,wildlife,and the environment generally.[country code etc..]

We went to Hadston,in Druridge Bay,when it was an opencast coal mine,after the closure of Chevington colliery drift mine,quite often,and used to park our little caravan on the Dunes,as did a few other people.[in the 1970's]

One day,it was very cold and cloudy,and Tuffy our Tortoise,was very lethargic,and just lying motionless,on the grass in front of the 'Van.

We watched him like a hawk,but as we went in to have a cup of tea,a break in the clouds appeared.

We were chatting,all four of us,[the kids and my Wife and me],when we suddenly realised it was sunny,and we all dashed outside to make sure Tuffy hadn't started to wander......too late!

Tortoise's close down under the cool cloudy skies,and come to life very quickly as soon as the sun shines!!....VERY quickly!

We searched the whole area all weekend...and never saw Tuffy again.

Every time we went there,for weeks afterwards,we widened our searched,with no success.Maybe somebody picked him up,and now has a 40 year old veteran in their garden![his name was painted on his back  with Flowmark  paint from the pit,and was very durable,so it wouldn't wash off with rain or owt.]

Magnificent Maggie!

Brings back loads of memories of us walking all over that land you see on the U-Tube video!

We used to be up early on a sunny morning,and out by 5-0 am,sammidges and soft drinks and water,and walk and laze by a stream,walk again,etc,and not return to the Van till 11-0pm after watching the Sun go down over the valley's.

We've seen some stunning sunsets up there!!

Thanks for posting that one Maggie!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now