Blackberry Smoke

Malcolm Robinson

Malcolm, thanks for posting this clip on here. I like "Southern Rock" or Bar-room Boogie" type bands and I hadn't heard of Blackberry Smoke before.

I've just downloaded the album and on first listen I like it (which is always a good sign), so I'll have a few more listens and then decide on whether or not their back catalogue gets downloaded.

Malcolm,  I too like Cajun/Bluesy type of music, as well as lots of others genres. Back in 1987 I went to the New Orleans Jazz & Blues Heritage Festival and had a brilliant 12 days of wall to wall music, mostly from Louisiana, but lots of other states & countries also represented. The festival is held over 2 weekends at the end of April, each year, on the New Orleans Racecourse. When we were there, they had 10 Stages set up, where the music played simultaneously, non-stop from 11:00am to 7:00pm each Friday, Saturday & Sunday. The hardest thing was deciding who to go and see/listen and who to miss out on. We saw loads of cajun/zydeco bands.

Good listening, I must say. A friend of mine is guitarist in a very successful rock band, he also builds his own instruments and plays st bluegrass festivals, love to hear him play

There was quite a Cajun/Zydeco trend in the UK during the 1990's and I saw R. Cajun when I lived near Aylesbury, but I thought a couple of the London based bands were better. The Electric Bluebirds (with Alan Dunn on accordion) were good but the best of all were The Balham Alligators (featuring Welsh Keyboardist to the stars - Geraint Watkins). They have a recently released compilation album that covers 4 individual albums and it's very good. There's not much on YouTube by way of videos, but there are loads of recording tracks that you can listen to.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now