Is there a God?

Not even going to waste minutes of my life going there Malc!  He's an immediate turn-off when he shows up on TV.  An out-of-touch elitist fool is the very best that can be said about him.

That, of course, explains why he's so jolly popular with our moral guardians at The Ministry of Truth - the Beeb!  Yet another notch in the long campaign to scrap the licence fee.  Hit the b**(^%s where it hurts - no, not there - in the pocket!

• Like 2

Many of us share the view Stephen so eloquently expoused in that interview.  Three cheers for the Irish broadcaster RTE for transmitting the interview ... let's not forget how much influence the God botherers exert in Ireland.

I like Fry and enjoy all his works, he's ALWAYS value for money.

As the the original question, ' Is there a God?'  He used to be a member of this Forum until and even bigger Big G wasted him via the redmodkillbutton.  Aye, the Devil's work!

Say as you find Maggie!  Hardly abuse, or personal. He's actually a Cultural Marxist; so OK, I take fool back - he's no fool, he simply takes others as fools!

He's fully entitled to his opinions, but he takes my money, and represents a distorted view of the world to my kids, and the rest of the nation, as the norm.  He can have all the young male consenting "totty" he wants, but he's not entitled to represent it as either normal behaviour, or tell me I must approve of it! In fact originally I rather liked him, but he's changed, and not me.  It's not simply his flaunting his sexuality as some sort of superior state of being, it's his other elitist attitudes.  We've come along way from sticking Oscar Wilde in Reading Jail, and all of that is undeniably for the better.  But, in an increasing number of cases these days the tolerance now shown is not reciprocated, instead it is capitalised upon. He comes across very snide and condescending, and I wouldn't accept that in a heterosexual, so I'm not making excuses for him because he's a homosexual - which apparently is what I'm required to do by the BBC thought police. Unlike the BBC I think that any form of discrimination is wrong, so I simply don't accept their doctrine of positive discrimination.

This is just one of many reasons why the formerly balanced BBC is past its sell-by-date.  It always had element of elitism, but it was a benign and inclusive elitism that aimed to enlighten and promote a national purpose. It was pretty much apolitical, and on the rare occasions it strayed over the line sharp corrections were administered and all were happy.  These days all pretence of that has gone. The audiences don't appreciate the morph because it has been gradually introduced in the name of progress.  It's not progress - it's bloody frightening, and wide open to exploitation by a future totalitarian government. Paranoia? I think not! One thing Nick Clegg is right about is to be very very worried about what is presently being enacted in the name of national security.  If the same subversion of tradition values is applied to national government as has already been enacted at the BBC, Winston Smith will be reciting 2 + 2 = 5 and believing it before the BBC hits its centenary.

• Like 1

Interesting points threegee.

I do not agree with all your conclusions.

I think we all hear the news and the issues of day in our own subjective way.

The BBC has it's role to play.

There are other news channels to compare viewpoints.

Basically there have always been people who seek to challenge authority.

Similarly the BBC, in its own way, has tried and maybe failed.

Back to Martin Luther and the printing press, would that be fair and unbiased!

I think not!

Depends which side your on.

The Government and National Security now that is a whole topic in itself.

Life has become dangerous but remember the Cuban Crisis, were we safe then from foreign expansion plans.

What becomes an army of occupation can be said to be a peace keeping force!

The World it seems can never be totally peaceful.

Politicians have their own agenda.

Maybe Animal Farm is the text to quote.

Interesting points threegee.

I do not agree with all your conclusions.

I think we all hear the news and the issues of day in our own subjective way.

The BBC has it's role to play.

There are other news channels to compare viewpoints.

Basically there have always been people who seek to challenge authority.

Similarly the BBC, in its own way, has tried and maybe failed.

Back to Martin Luther and the printing press, would that be fair and unbiased!

I think not!

Depends which side your on.

The Government and National Security now that is a whole topic in itself.

Life has become dangerous but remember the Cuban Crisis, were we safe then from foreign expansion plans.

What becomes an army of occupation can be said to be a peace keeping force!

The World it seems can never be totally peaceful.

Politicians have their own agenda.

Maybe Animal Farm is the text to quote.

I didn't expect you to agree with any, so I'm gratified. :D

The BBC has a special role as the state broadcaster. You can't opt out of funding them.  There has always been special trust placed in them. But, I'm one of an increasing number of people who believe that they are betraying that trust and pursing the agenda of an over class.  My argument is not for abolishing them, but putting broadcasting on a level playing field.  How do you feel about the license fee?  There are going to have to be some changes, but - like most things - decisions have been kicked down the road (until 2017).

Interesting that you mention the Cuban Missile crisis at this time. Are you aware that you likely came within 50 miles of a Russian nuclear warhead the other day?  Far closer than at any time in the cold war!  And... the Greens and SNP demand abolishing our nuclear deterrent, which kept us safe through the last century! The Greens also want us to "end our special relationship with the USA".  Doh!

Animal Farm?  Oh, I think the Pigs have been running the farm for a very long time now. Time for the people's turn again! :)

• Like 1

I am pleased that you are pleased or 'gratified' threegee.

I think we even agree on Animal Farm.

Not sure how many people it would take to change everything.

Revolution rarely proves to be an answer.

However things are not good whichever way you look at it.

The BBC attempt to be impartial but how much influence and power the government hold over them remains to be seen.

I believe most governments would use the same power.

Yes I am aware of the Russians coming so close to our airspace.

I think you will find it is something they have done for a long time.

Even during the so called 'Cold War'

My understanding is that the RAF regularly scramble to intercept any infringements .

Maybe not so regularly reported in case we all panic.

I think we even agree on Animal Farm.

Not sure how many people it would take to change everything.

Revolution rarely proves to be an answer.

However things are not good whichever way you look at it.

The BBC attempt to be impartial but how much influence and power the government hold over them remains to be seen.

I believe most governments would use the same power.

Not talking about revolution Maggie, I'm talking about the people taking back power by proper democratic process. Of course you could always write a rude word on the ballot paper instead! :D

And, I'm not talking about government influence; that's always been reasonably taken care of, so it's possible to see the BBC being leaned on from that aspect. What I'm talking about is a much more insidious control by London centric liberal elitists. People who are bent on limiting the range of debate in order to give the illusion of representing the range of opinion.  You can see this at work daily in the way public contributions on the BBC website are moderated.  When the debate goes into realms that they find awkward - starts to reflect real public consensus - it is shut down entirely.  This has little to do with party affiliations - it's control by a self-serving over-class who've never had a real job in their lives, and believe themselves morally superior to huge chunks of the population.  This is the real reason for the disillusion with the political process, and why ever fewer people vote LibLabCon. People aren't as stupid as this over-class takes them for!  Most can't put their finger on the reasons for this disillusion, but they do know there is smoke and mirrors at work.  When they say "they are all the same", they need to think a little more deeply as to why this is.

This isn't a conspiracy I've dreamed up, it's a pretty universal thought across the political spectrum.  Take your pick of who's perspective you want to look at it from, but the basic conclusion is universal.

https://www.google.com/?q=uk+political+overclass

"Are you aware that you likely came within 50 miles of a Russian nuclear warhead the other day?"

It wasn't armed. I often wonder why some of these intercepts get reported, and others don't. I have it on good authority from someone working with the QRA team that it happens on a weekly basis.

"He's an immediate turn-off when he shows up on TV"

Same here! Nothing to do with his sexuality or his political views, more his inability to be concise with the English language.

It wasn't armed. I often wonder why some of these intercepts get reported, and others don't. I have it on good authority from someone working with the QRA team that it happens on a weekly basis.

I think you can still detect something Russian, nuclear, and that wasn't armed in the Lake District.

If I remember correctly this one was notable because it turned right and flew the channel too - thus unsettling the great and the good.

"I think you can still detect something Russian, nuclear, and that wasn't armed in the Lake District."

probably not just there, but all over the joint! However, you know as well as I do there is a vast different between that and a nuclear warhead, which is basically a big shell unless armed.

"

If I remember correctly this one was notable because it turned right and flew the channel too - thus unsettling the great and the good."

It did indeed. Not the first time it's happened though, just Ivan flexing his muscles and giving our lads some much needed action!

21 million is a lot of money.

Maybe we could tele port the old leisure centre to Bedlington.

Money no object.

Beamish achieve these objectives successfully.

It could be under the Heritage Initiative.

We may need help from our 'Rich' neighbours.

Perhaps they can just feel sorry for us 'Poor Relations'.

Crumbs from under the table come to mind.

Six Townships is taking on a whole new meaning.

Once upon a time!

Any budding authors care to mix past and present together.

Fact and Fiction.

Certainly beyond humour maybe not.

Er......have we not strayed slightly off-topic here........[everyone turning a bit like me....heh heh!!!!]

Well,seeing as I have never watched television or read anything other than the News Post Leader,[only cos it is shoved through my door!],for many years,

I don't even know who this Fry chap is,or what he does,and have never heard of him.

Does that make me a fool also,or uneducated??

Does anyone remember a big Tsunami a few years ago?....not man-made.....where the Arch-Bishop,as well as other leading church dignitaries,admitted that the disaster had made them.."question their own faith"..

?

The current situations at the other side of our beautiful planet,in the name of God,.......WHY?

I am not a church- goer,but I believe in the Commandments,and every bit of good teaching I received as a child.

Now,having reached three-score years-and ten,my beliefs are slightly different to the norm.

Yes Jesus walked this planet,and yes,he was a real good bloke,with many medical and spiritual skills,such as telepathy,pre-cognition,telekinesis,etc...

He came from another planet,tried to teach and help this hopeless place,was much misinterpreted,and over 2000  years,the writings of the chinese whispers became distorted.

Let's look at the Star of Bethlehem.

It appeared,shone for a few weeks,then disappeared...!

Stars take millions....or billions of years to form,live,and die.

It was more likely to have been a spacecraft on a steady heading,which,like approaching aircraft,appear to be still,and hovering in the sky.

The Bible says..."and there were giants in those days....and they came from far off lands..."

It doesn't say how much help and engineering skills they came with,to build our wonders of the world,such as the pyramids,or lay down runways that are

so accurately engineered that they do not deviate by more than a few degrees over hundreds of miles.......

Ezekiel went up the mountain,and heard the dragon breathing fire and noise,and was taken on the dragon's back to other wonderful places........

He saw angels with faces "like that of burnished brass..."....well they wouldn't have NASA written on them,now would they?!!

Yep,you guessed,I've read too many books by Erik Von Daniken,and others,and all the evidence suggests the theories to be true.

Only one question remains unanswered.......Who created the Spacemen?!....and this is where we have to ask ourselves,if there is no God,how did all the beauty of our planet,and the rest of the universe start?

We only have the power to ask the questions....but not the intelligence to understand the answers.

I stated a terminological inexactitude,at the start of this post.....

I said I never watch television,that is mostly true in the majority of my time,if the weather forecast is on,when I carry my disabled Wife's meals through to her from the kitchen,I might for a minute,just see how the day is going to fare!!

She keeps me updated,on current news affairs,but from what I hear from lots of folk when I am out and about,there is so much vile trash on the box,I would rather spend my time as I do,with my Wife,my little dog,my motorbike,my guitar and music,or just watching raindrops running down the window on stinking days....heh heh!!

I rest my case for/against God.

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

Checking my post above,I meant to edit the part which says i have never read anything....blaa blaa...

Of course I read,I just don't read newspaper tabloids,it is enough seeing the front pages of lies and trash,being thrust in my face,even in places like Aldi

nowadays.

It is like religion,you believe what you want to,but don't,[apart from sensible discussion,such as this....],thrust it in my face,or knock on my door,like Jehovah's do...which I consider to be a tresspass upon my property,as much as I would a thief.

I have to laugh when I hear folk say...it was in the paper....[meaning it must be right enough...!!]

Eh.....aam a simple-minded bugga,except when it comes to Scientific theory and discovery,Geology,Space investigation and travel,anything to do with the marvels of engineering on a grand scale,anything supernatural,spiritualism,occultism,oh......and Revelations,in the Bible..!!.....[666....!]

...not forgetting Coalmining....of course!!

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

"

Let's look at the Star of Bethlehem.

It appeared,shone for a few weeks,then disappeared...!"

Because it was a comet....

"'....read too many books by Erik Von Daniken,and others,and all the evidence suggests the theories to be true."

You've got me started on one of my pet subjects, HPW! Pray tell, where is this evidence? Von Daniken, for example, admitted to making up a good deal of his!

Disnae really matter Mercuryg,The star theory is my own,no-else's,yes,may have been a comet also,but no way was "a star is born"..the truth!!

People like Daniken,H.G.Wells,etc,were scientists,and scientists don't believe in supernatural events,or things like

Men in white dresses,with feathery wings....!

Now I am not,and I repeat NOT,Atheist,but I have a reasonably balanced view of what might really have happened 2000years ago,and I certainly do not believe there was a virgin birth!

You have to remember the culture in those days,probably even now,that if a couple had a child out of wedlock,they would be stoned to death.

So something had to be done to protect the innocent child and one parent..thus the fable....now where's the Actual evidence of the virgin birth?....It lies in our faith in the Bible!...is that any more convincing proof than scores of

scientists,like Daniken,who have put theories which,at least,are a bit more credible than feathery clad men floating down from the sky!!

More like small landing craft,from a mother ship,come to investigate this beautiful planet,and fornicating with our inhabitants....as you would expect...after a long journey.

"Wheels within wheels...and the dragon had four faces,and wherever the wheels went,the faces went also..."

Not Daniken!!!.....Revelations!!....Ezekiel!!..."and the faces were like that of burnished brass".....Space helmets!

More credible than a four-faced dragon snorting and breathing fire up the mountain!!

But I still believe in a creator of all this,cos it couldn't just have happened by itself....from nothing?

Like I said,we can ask the questions,but we are too small and miniscule,to understand the answers!

The Universe never ends....it's too mind-boggling to even try and contemplate the fact there is no end....

..like believing the earth was flat in olden times!!

We can only put forward our ideas,even we disagree,it doesn't really matter,cos we are never gonna get anywhere,we are still going to carry on destroying our beautiful planet,and it's people.....and God is always going to cause the world's strife,and sit on the fence while it all happens!!

One thing always puzzled me,WHY was Jesus always shown as a white man in Bethlehem?

Wouldn't surprise me at all,if the visitors return,in my short lifetime,[which I have left],if they are perfectly ordinary human beings,and not little green men ,as we have been indoctrinated from childhood,to believe!!

Bet You and Me could while away a happy evening mercury,if we were sat around a comfy table with a pot of tea...[me being a complete tee-totaller!!

"Bet You and Me could while away a happy evening mercury,if we were sat around a comfy table with a pot of tea...[me being a complete tee-totaller!!"

I believe we could, HPW! I have a heart interest in all things 'unusual' and have my own theories on the biblical stories. I am what you might call a UFO 'enthusiast' (although must stress I believe them, on the whole, to have been built here on earth and originate from military projects) and avidly read anything related to the supernatural etc. One thing I must take issue with is your description of von Daniken as a Scientist; he has no scientific background at all, the science in his books is actually where he falls down, he was merely a hotelier with a dubious record of fraud and tax evasion! On that note, it's interesting that his books were (and are) massively successful where others that went before, from which it is widely believed he pinched most of his ideas (i.e ancient astronauts, the nazca lines, et al) were not. How did he manage than with no history of publishing and no credentials as an authority on the subjects within? That in itself is a mystery!

HPW wrote: "One thing always puzzled me,WHY was Jesus always shown as a white man in Bethlehem?"

The answer is that the BossGodBotherers back when we were emerging from the Dark Ages into the Medieval Period* were all white blokes;  it just wouldn't do to show any of the main characters in their fable as being anything other than the same as themselves.

*loose code for that general period.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now