Hide Adverts
Sign in to follow this  
Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Bedlington Grammar School to be demolished

This is a letter to an ex pupil, David Williams, posted on the Sixtownships History Group :-

"Dear David

As you will be aware, Bedlington Grammar School has changed over the years and has been part of an enlarged Bedlingtonshire Community High School for some time.

Development of the current school is due to continue with a major new building programme scheduled to start during the summer of 2015. Once work on the 12-month project has been completed (around summer 2016), all of the original buildings, including the Grammar School, will be demolished.

Some former BGS pupils, who are aware of these events, have indicated that they would like to visit the old school before it disappears. The purpose of this message is to assess the level of interest (if any) in a possible 'farewell tour' (or tours) to the old Grammar School before the bulldozers roll in.

Any arrangement could be for this year, or next year, and may be best done during the summer holidays when there are no current pupils around. The advantage of making it summer 2016 is that it would then be possible to see the new building at an advanced stage. However, the disadvantage of this option is that it is a long time in the future.

Please let me have your views in respect of your interest (either way) and preferred date.

Mansel Dinnis
[email protected]

Richmond House, Landing Lane
Hemingbrough, Selby
North Yorkshire, YO8 6RA

Tel: +44 (0)1757 638103
Mob: +44 (0)7790 772878

I attended the Grammar School for a year before it was turned into a comprehensive.

Legend has it that Bobby Charltons initials are carved into the lead flashing above the main entrance doors.

I attended the Grammar School for a year before it was turned into a comprehensive.

Legend has it that Bobby Charltons initials are carved into the lead flashing above the main entrance doors.

Never heard that one before Reedy - spent many mindless minutes - 1961 to 1965 -  waiting outside main entrance doors to receive the punishment one did not deserve but never saw any names carved into any material. 

On the Bygone Bedlington Facebook site Bill Sharp posted:-

There will be an event at BGS in March 2016. I am in touch with Mansel Denis who is in touch with the school so when lets me know dates etc I will post it here in the group. The school plans to make it a memorable event and intend publicising it in the local area so you may know before me.

Facebook post by David Williams.

Ex-BGS students: I have just received this from Mansel Dinnis, webmaster of the "Semper Sursum" website.

I look forward to seeing some of you there:

Hi

Bedlingtonshire Community High School have now confirmed they are giving former pupils the opportunity to visit the school at two ‘looking back, moving forward’ events in June before the old grammar school building is demolished.

For those former pupils who left the school before 2000 (ie: all Bedlington Grammar School pupils), the visit will take place at 7:00 pm on Thursday 16 June.

The school are still finalising the programme for the visit.

Admission is by ticket only. Tickets can be collected from Reception at the school. Please contact the school direct to order tickets. Here are the BCHS contact details.

Bedlingtonshire Community High School
Palace Road
Bedlington
Northumberland
NE22 7DS
Tel: 01670 822625 (choose option ‘0’ for Reception)
Email: [email protected]

For those ex-pupils who do not live locally, tickets can be posted.

I have email addresses for only a limited number of former grammar school pupils and I would ask you to pass on this information to anyone you think might be interested.