Samsung Galaxy S6 Launch

threegee

Solid rumour says it will be launched ahead of schedule on 2nd March.

It will have a minimum of 3GB of RAM like recent models in the Note series, but 4GB is a possibility.  This contrasts with 1GB in recent iPhones, the stingyness of which has many Apple fans unhappy.

Here's the rest:

• 64-bit eight-core 14nm CPU which is 50% faster
  • 5.1-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display with a 577ppi density, stunning outdoor visibility, super dim mode for late night.
  • A huge 20 megapixel OIS camera sensor and a 5 megapixel f/1.8 front-facing camera with real-time HDR
  • 32 / 64 / 128GB of storage
  • 2550mAh battery
  • Built-in wireless charging
  • Four hours of usage on a 10 minute charge
  • Quick connect charging
  • Samsung Pay: works with 90% of existing magnetic stripe payment terminals, and NFC payment terminals
  • Metal and glass body
  • Gorilla Glass 4
  • Cat 6 LTE

Built-in wireless charging is a big plus as it saves having to get hold of a special Qi back or find a mechanically unsatisfactory third party receiver coil.

The new body is premium and a deliberate getaway from the plastic construction that on-line reviews often criticise (unjustly I think, because this has saved countless expensive drop disasters).  Is it an x86 based product and a step change from ARM?  The 14nm CPU might just provide a clue, though none of the rumours mention such a major change of direction.

I will never understand why people actually pay extortionate amounts for these things. I appreciate the technology and innovation involved, but how many of those who buy this actually need such a hefty specification? How many of its features will most people actually use? What will it cost on a monthly contract? £40 or something? I realise I'm a little biased as I speak from the point of view of someone who rarely uses a phone, but surely these things are just for showing off? The one function I would appreciate is usable NFC (I've yet to find one on a smartphone that was anything other than clumsy and time consuming, and therefore pointless, to use) as it is surely the future for payments of all kinds. I'll stick with my tablet, upon which I use about 10% of the available features.....

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now