You can find owt on t'internet!

• 4 weeks later...
Pete, on 16 Jan 2015 - 8:45 PM, said:

Sounds a bit like Erich von Däniken, Ancient space men (Chariots of the gods). Mind you that was proven to be not true.

Can never understand how people get sucked into things like that.

Simple Pete!

Whey,a wudn't say gettin' sucked  in was the reet way ti luk at it,more of thra'ain' off the blinkers that ye've worn since ye sucked ya dummy!

[not YE,Pete,figure of speech!]

The God thread is covering aal this debate aalriddy,so it's pointless repeating me opinions,but suffice ti say,we gotta look to further horizons,and not

believe ivrythin' we've been brainwashed wi,since we were born!

What was proven to be not true,Pete?..an' WHO.supplied the proof?!.[ye got me puzzled theor,naebody's claimed owt to BE true!!...we only put forward wor opinions,and theories,and

we either agree,or disagree,simple as that!]

Ye believe the Bible in it's entierity,withoot question,or ye have other beliefs,like me,disnae mek me any less of a man,only less of an ignorant man!

[ignorant as in dictionary-not derogatory!]

As I keep saying......Time will tell!![but a wish thi bugga wud hurry up afore aa dae,an' aam not heor ti see it!]

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

That is a good point, Pete, and bears thinking about. I believe that the bible stories are based upon actual events, but that they had been exaggerated or misinterpreted by the time the Gospels were written. Given that it is difficult to pinpoint a firm date, that could be anywhere between 50 and a few hundred years AD.

Yes Merc, I agree, not on the point of the Biblical stories being exaggerated but definitly on pin pointing dates. Theres a big question at the moment, did Exodus really happen. This question has been raised because it does not fit with the wordl view on time and dates.

There has been a documentry made that looks at this problem of fitting the Exodus dates to the world view dates unfortunatly its not been released in the UK (at the moment anyway) The documentry has been made by Bible believers and none believers.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds a bit like Erich von Däniken, Ancient space men (Chariots of the gods). Mind you that was proven to be not true.

Can never understand how people get sucked into things like that.

Suppose it's the same as being indoctrinated,and radicalised,in believing god loves us all,then says "suffer little children...."[the best disclaimer ever written!]

That gets religion off the hook,every time a tragic event occurs...doesn't have to be a massive disaster,one child killed in a road accident,or murdered or whatever....IS a disaster....but god is good and he will forgive the murderer,but he won't bring back the child.........well,he put man on earth with a fre will...didn't he?[but tornadoes,tsunami's,etc.............?]

I still can't get my head around all the main characters being white,with English names.......Mary,Joe,Jesus[white],Peter,John,etc!!

I bet the people in the Pacific Islands wonder why god let this happen!!

HPW.

I am not ashamd to say, I believe the Bible from cover to cover, now weather I interpret it the same way as other do, may be not.

Pete,we all have our own beliefs,it's great to discuss them sensibly.

I wonder who disproved Daniken?...[i know the history about him!]

Not sure if this should be here or "Is there a God†but I hope my thoughts/ opinion doesn't offend anyone.

I'm not sure! and not just hedging my bet but one minute I think how could there possibly be a God the next how could there not be, how could we possibly just "evolveâ€

I feel that the bible and other such writings came from the scholars of the time writing what they think they saw and heard, I'm sure that depending on how educated our brains are that is how we explain events. I think the bible was a simplistic account of events based on many actual facts, and shouldn't be taken too literal.

When everything was quite simplistic an account would be written explaining to simple people in a way they could understand how they thought what they saw happened, the parting of the sea, the flaming bush, feeding the multitudes with fish, walking on water, eclipses, earthquakes etc.

Today we are far more advanced (or are we?) and use facts and science to explain many of the unusual events that occur. But things so complex as brains, eyes, skin, thought, conscience, compassion etc just "evolved†if it was natural selection why are there millions of species when our environment isn't that diverse!

Respectfully posted.

Hi Vic!

Very good way of thinking,and that's the way I think.

How can God let the world collapse,yet all that we have,the way planets and stars are positioned,our environment,couldn't have just happened by accident.

It had to be created,now we could have called our creator Rover,it wouldn't have a happ'ence a difference in our teaching, from being able to talk...would it?

We would accept it.

Anybody see why I chose Rover as an example?!!!

Vic,when we reach adulthood,and we have a bit of a brain,the word "offended"[i think!]shouldn't exist in our vocabulary!!

As a hardened aad pitman,nowt offends me,mebbe aggravates me,or whatever,but no offence!!

It annoys me when I read of people,mostly over the other side of the world,who get "Offended"if you say the wrang thing,look thi wrang way,.....!!yi wadn't think they were grown-up folks!!

Aam wi yi on ya points of view,Vic,hope aaa hevn't offended anybody by rabbiting on aboot nowt!...[as usual]

Ti retorn bak ti thi thread title,yi CAN find owt on't internet....!!!!

AAA fund a brand new burner assembly for a Carver caravan heater,which is aboot thirty years aad!!

A company tuk aal the tooling from Carver,and the license to carry on producing the exact same product!

A also found me long lost friends in Canada,which pleased the hell oot o' me!!

Lang live thi net!!

Ti retorn bak ti thi thread title,yi CAN find owt on't internet....!!!!

AAA fund a brand new burner assembly for a Carver caravan heater,which is aboot thirty years aad!!

A company tuk aal the tooling from Carver,and the license to carry on producing the exact same product!

A also found me long lost friends in Canada,which pleased the hell oot o' me!!

Lang live thi net!!

A number of years ago a casual acquaintance of mine, of an older generation, declared to me that he had no interest in the internet, as he could find all he needed to know in books. He didn't see the point, it was all a fad, etc, etc. Now, I'm no 'computer geek' - I may work in online marketing, editing, writing and the like, but that's the extent of it - but what struck me was that this guy was an absolute fanatic on the subject of military history, with particular reference to certain specific regiments, battles, etc. I told him that, for someone with such interests - and many others - he would find the web invaluable; no, he said, it's all written down, in books, on his shelves, in libraries. Besides, he had no computer, and didn't want one. I asked if he would spare an hour, and come to my place, and let m just show him what he was missing? He scoffed, but agreed; I bought a few tinnies, of course, in advance.

So, one quiet Saturday morning, we sat down in front of my laptop. I asked him to give me an example of a particular area he was interested in. He named a regiment (cannot remember which), in it went, into google, 'regiment xyz history' and, in an instant, well, you know the story, out came a whole load of options. The upshot was, within just a few minutes, I had him up and running on a well-populated forum that covered this and other regiments, and talking - by text, but talking - to actual, real veterans of this regiment, who could tell him stories that, as they were not best sellers but only of interest to the likes of him, would never make the history books, Still, they are history, and it is - for me - these personal events and recollections that make it even more so.

Back to the story: he was, inevitably, hooked, and an hour became two, he wrote down email addresses, retrieved photos, moved on to his pet subject of WW2 German battleships, and so on. Yes, books are brilliant - I have hundreds on my pet subject  - but personal and, for want of a less demeaning word, minor recollections get edited out.

So, my friend was hooked, asked if he could come back next saturday, and so on. I showed him how to navigate - a bit daunting for a complete computer novice - and helped him buy a laptop and got him set up with a connection and so on, and he went on to find many ex-military friends, colleagues, and veterans, that he could not have found by books.

So, yes, you're right, the web is an amazing thing.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of years ago a casual acquaintance of mine, of an older generation, declared to me that he had no interest in the internet, as he could find all he needed to know in books. He didn't see the point, it was all a fad, etc, etc. Now, I'm no 'computer geek' - I may work in online marketing, editing, writing and the like, but that's the extent of it - but what struck me was that this guy was an absolute fanatic on the subject of military history, with particular reference to certain specific regiments, battles, etc. I told him that, for someone with such interests - and many others - he would find the web invaluable; no, he said, it's all written down, in books, on his shelves, in libraries. Besides, he had no computer, and didn't want one. I asked if he would spare an hour, and come to my place, and let m just show him what he was missing? He scoffed, but agreed; I bought a few tinnies, of course, in advance.

So, one quiet Saturday morning, we sat down in front of my laptop. I asked him to give me an example of a particular area he was interested in. He named a regiment (cannot remember which), in it went, into google, 'regiment xyz history' and, in an instant, well, you know the story, out came a whole load of options. The upshot was, within just a few minutes, I had him up and running on a well-populated forum that covered this and other regiments, and talking - by text, but talking - to actual, real veterans of this regiment, who could tell him stories that, as they were not best sellers but only of interest to the likes of him, would never make the history books, Still, they are history, and it is - for me - these personal events and recollections that make it even more so.

Back to the story: he was, inevitably, hooked, and an hour became two, he wrote down email addresses, retrieved photos, moved on to his pet subject of WW2 German battleships, and so on. Yes, books are brilliant - I have hundreds on my pet subject  - but personal and, for want of a less demeaning word, minor recollections get edited out.

So, my friend was hooked, asked if he could come back next saturday, and so on. I showed him how to navigate - a bit daunting for a complete computer novice - and helped him buy a laptop and got him set up with a connection and so on, and he went on to find many ex-military friends, colleagues, and veterans, that he could not have found by books.

So, yes, you're right, the web is an amazing thing.

Hi Merc!

You just related to ME there,in a very big way!

From age of aboot 11 years,in 1955-ish,I stood in the queue for an ice cream,in the Top-end pictures,in Bedltn.

...[not often mind,a treat!]

I was intrigued as to how the ice-cream lady's tray was lit,cos I couldn't see any batteries beside the little bulb.

Naturally,as a laddie,we all played with torches,and knew the batteries had to touch the bulb,to light up.

My interest in Electricity fired up!

Many library books on electricity,and radio electronics later,and much experimenting,with old pre-war radios from Barn'ton tip,I was,at age 14 yrs,building small 2-valve radios from circuit diagrams with my science teacher's help.

SO,MY interest in computers,when they first came along,was more to do with how they worked,NOT WHAT they did.

People,including my two Sons,tried in vain to convince me that I would get hooked,once I started!

I have followed the Space race since Sputnik was launched,and everybody kept telling me how I could register with the

NASA channel,and see Shuttle launchpads,live,on countdown....etc.

SO!!..I agreed,and my Son gave my Wife and I his old one,and went away home.

I didn't know how to switch the thing on!!

Now,nobody can get rid of me!!!

I fully understand the guy you tell us about,as that was me!!

Now just a couple of weeks ago,my Wife's Mobility scooter transaxle rear bearing collapsed...about 100 yards from the car.

I had to lift the siezed wheel off the ground,and push it,with my Wife still sitting on it,back to the car.[nackered!]

Home....internet....prices and availability..anywhere from £80-£140-ish!

Found a used...[ahem....."Pre-loved"...!]one,for £25 + £10 p&p..!..on E-bay,bought it,had it 2 days later,fitted it,had my Wife back on the road again...highly delighted,cos she canna stand being grounded and housebound.

People say the net is a bad thing,only for those who seek the bad things that the world has to offer!!

Whey, that's my story,off a gaan again......!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now