Who owns the land?

My new living quarters has a derelict site across the back lane. Most of the other residents have developed this land adjacent to their property by adding a small shed/garage and developing a small allotment type area.

I've looked up the boundaries of my property and it ends where the lane starts.

How do I find out who owns the land opposite, to get permission to use it?

Since there is no actual address for it that i am aware of, I'm finding it difficult to get information.

The area is much like that of the properties along Rothesay Terrace, with the house, the back lane, then the area of land beyond.

I would have tried Land Registry, when I bought the freehold for my property they sent me a plan of my Gardens and boundaries, it just about shows where every spuggie  sh***s.

yup, i did the same for mine, however the land in question has no address.

I think you can get copies of boundary plans online for a few quid, but you need the full address to get the information.

Thanks again Malcolm

The Land Registry should provide you with a 'Block Plan' showing your crib & land plus all neighbouring stuff.  Each plot will be identified with a number or letter allowing owner ID but this is only the case if the plot has been registered.  A suprising amount of land isn't registered because it's remained in the same hands for decades and hasn't been 'transferred' to new owners since 1990 (I think that date is correct ... from memory).  Most councils have 'online' planning portals and with a bit of imagination it's possible to navigate these and 'deduce' ownership of parcels of land and neighbouring holdings, eg. has a named neighbour objected to an application, and so on.  Another trick is to see if there's any leasehold land in the area via the Land Registry and ask the Leaseholder (or more probably their agent) if they own the plot you're interested in;  many 'historic' Leaseholders transferred bits of their holdings, say for housing developments, but retained odd bits.

Edited by Symptoms

yup, i did the same for mine, however the land in question has no address.

I think you can get copies of boundary plans online for a few quid, but you need the full address to get the information.

Thanks again Malcolm

Chris, There is a section on the land registry site that is a map enquiry.

All you do is click on the map where you want to search, then the map will come up, find the place you want to find info about, zoom right in, then the Find properties option will be able to be selected, click on, then click the place on the map where you want to find the info about and you should be fine.

Its like everything else in life, If you don't know, you don't know.

Heaven forbid anyone ask for a little help.

Castle wall thick, that's how thick.

I'm not here asking after doing no research at all. I have looked into it. I hit a wall.

My apologies to you and your wasted 10 seconds of life you took to read and reply, but thanks for the response anyway. Nice to see the friendly moderators chipping in on resident issues.

I apologise, i fail to see where any negativity came into any response before your reply.

I'll sleep on it an revisit it in the morning.

Just in case it is not clear, I appreciate all of the previous responses, and thank the posters for their input. I was merely trying to clarify the information.

My apologies if any offense was taken, that was not my intent. The "moderators" quip was directed at foxy's reply alone.

Behind my mums garden fence there lies a couple of yards more of overgrown land. Many years ago she and the neighbours enquired as to the ownership of said land. The council said it's not theirs. So it's nobody's. I'm going to erect a tent, and live there.

If you go on to Land Registry Portal and zoom right in to the property/land where you want to view the details.

Then turn on Find Properties (this only becomes active when you zoom in far enough)

tUIISKr.png

This allows you to select the area on the map and displays the results before for potential plots.

bgRByZ6.png

This tells you the address associated to the bit of land you selected and in this particular case it is freehold.

I would assume if it's free hold then the council can help.

• Like 1

Have you given any advance notice that your vacating Table 25?

I moved on from 25 some time ago when it became the domain of the Morning Club (nowt against them, lovely lads) and there is no nearby plug to power the laptop. I now frequent table 36, otherwise known as 'Stevie's Office'. It also has a radiator next to it, and a window view of the Front Street plus an overall panoramic view of the pub.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now