Land for Development - Bedlington/Nedderton

toffo

On that note pilgrim we need to consider how many properties are just not selling in Bedlington.

Sadly even on that subject the figures can mislead us all.

If population figures are so inaccurate ( when is a Shire not a Shire ) what we are told and what we see to be true are totally different.

Consider the number of 'bankruptcy ' or properties repossessed .

All these figures for our town could be relevant.

Basically are people being conned into buying properties they simply cannot afford!

Government help to buy etc

Do the jobs available support the growing housing market.

When all is said and done, Maggie, the people who buy these houses can clearly afford it. Getting a mortgage these days is no easy matter, and the lenders are extremely strict. I agree with you about the massaged population figures, and the lack of investment point simply cannot be argued with, but the town still offers combination of elements that are attractive to families.

I would argue the scheme, and the continuing low interest rate, has helped a great deal. Reposession rates last year were the lowedt for a long time, as were mortgage arrears figures. We can't get awsy from the fact that, no matter the consequences, new homes are needed, so we need to look at ways to accommodate them practically.

The costings in relation to the repssessions etc, malcolm? We can only take the information given, as is always the case, but I see no reason to doubt them. Or do you mean the costings in the help to buy scheme?

When all is said and done, Maggie, the people who buy these houses can clearly afford it. Getting a mortgage these days is no easy matter, and the lenders are extremely strict. I agree with you about the massaged population figures, and the lack of investment point simply cannot be argued with, but the town still offers combination of elements that are attractive to families.

The majority of houses that have been sold in Hazelmere in recent years have been bought up by "buy to let" investors (one owns 10+ properties alone) charging £600 + a month rental, thus restricting the ability of tenants to save for the large deposits lenders require now! The reality is the young generation have no employment prospects locally so travel afield and demand a lot more for their hard earned cash than the ghost town we are becoming, with empty properties both commercial and residential! The top and bottom of it is as long as we have no decent basic infrastructure such as shopping/ welfare/schools/ public transport / nightlife to support an expanding town no one will want to move here!

But never mind we have "Bedlington in Bloom" to brighten up the soon to be empty derelict market place row of shops, the old derelict school building, the incomplete old folks home, the empty rundown former "top club", the closed down former Red Lion Pub that has obviously ran aground!

Edited by toffo

I think toffo means the ridge farm, as the red lion is thriving. As someone who had a mother, sister, and sundry friends living on hazelmere I would take issue with the fact the 'majority' of houses on hazelmere sold in recent years have been bought to let. Some eill have been, of course, but over 50%? I have family and friends - many - living there, and they all buy. I cannot disagree that Bedlington is not a centre gor employment, but it never will be. This is something we have to accept: its a commuter town.

"Planting flowers and putting up park benches will not Rejuvinate Bedlington."

No, it won't, but I'm not sure anyone said it would. It's a voluntary organisation, which aims to make the town look nicer thanks to the hanging baskets and further, and (no I'm not involved) I for one am thankful it does so. I like to see the town looking as good as it can, I think the benches are great. People put hard work into the scheme simply to achieve this: why knock it? Surely you'd rather have it than not have it?

I have an idea: we're all (me included) very good at telling each other what WON'T work for the town; why don't we all have a go at proposing what will work? Let's not get back into the 'we need money that Ashington gets' thread because we all now that, let's think on another level: if these people involved in the In Bloom scheme are willing to put in some of their precious time to make the town look pretty, what can the rest of us do in a similar vein? Or are we all simply comfortable sitting on our backsides typing frustrated rants?

• Like 1

"Isn't the Red Lion pub now a restraunt ?"

It's a Wetherspoons Pub, serving a fine range of ales and food, and is a busy establishment at even the slackest times. It's a great place to lose your glasses, too.

"Isn't the Red Lion pub now a restraunt ?"

It's a Wetherspoons Pub, serving a fine range of ales and food, and is a busy establishment at even the slackest times. It's a great place to lose your glasses, too.

I got them back Merc,they were behind the Bar, (specs) however I'm considering loaning them out to anyone who may now be under the impression that the place  ran aground. 

I got them back Merc,they were behind the Bar, (specs) however I'm considering loaning them out to anyone who may now be under the impression that the place  ran aground. 

It better not, where would I live? I have asked them if I could move into the little snug behind the fire; I could easily fit a bed and a desk in there.

The Bedlington in Bloom Project is fantastic!  It show visitors, even those just passing through on a bus, and of course the local Residents that all hope is not lost. It also shows just what can be done when a small Group of enthusiasts sacrifice their leisure time instead of sitting around complaining about the present situation and what might have been if events had taken a different path. The Bedlington in Bloom Project has some very interesting and desirable effects. It's getting Young residents involved in their Community, instilling pride in the appearance of their Town, giving them areas to be proud of because they've helped to create those areas by planting trees and flowers which will be available for their Children - the next generation of Bedlingtonians - to see and be proud of. If that's not rejuvenation I don't know what is!

• Like 3

Well I was going to have a pop back at Tony and toffo but I think merc and Canny lass have said it.......................................

It all about getting off our arses and doing something positive for a change! I have said it before but it really is up to us, the community, to fight our way out of the position this town is in and BiB group shows what can be achieved. Even the 1400+ page views in a week on Facebook is better than any other group hereabouts and that promotes a positive face for Bedlington to the world.

It's about making upgrades to your environment to show anyone looking in there is a scintilla of pride still aboard here. It's about providing an example of how people just getting together to tackle a common problem can usually overcome it.

That BiB group won't be beaten, there is more grit, intelligence and determination within their ranks than we can see in the whole of County Hall as far as I am concerned. ...........................................................

So toffo and Tony tell us what you guys are doing to turn the fortunes of our Town around and let us know how we can help you because your schemes must be so much more important and pertinent?

As I see it, it's all about long term planning. Bedlington is never going to be a hub of industry. Would we really want that? However, it's got great potential as a commuter Town. Let's make it attractive enogh to make people want to live there or at least spend their liesure time (and Money) there. OK, if all that's said is true then the infrastructure , at the minute, is possibly not the best but it can be worked on. Once you've got sufficient people living there things like bus services and schools tend to follow in their Wake. It may even become attractive, and viable, for Investors such as Tesco.

The real investment, however, is in the following generations of Bedlingtonians and that's where Projects such as Bedlington in Bloom are doing such a great job.

Anything we ex-pats can do Malcolm? Seeds? fund a flower bed?, Adopt a tree? Plant a shrub? Buy a terrier bench? Get your thinking caps on guys!!

• Like 1

A bedroom community, isn't that what we dream for! let the others have all that industry brings. One of the first things we learned when we came here was if you want it, go get it! don't expect others to get it for you.

We have been involved with many projects, and achieved a lot of satisfaction knowing we have contributed to the community.

Many of the larger projects have required lobbying, news media and plebiscites (even demonstrations!)

We also found that nothings stays the same for very long! things are always changing, what was a hotel became a movie theater, then a bowling ally and downstairs is now a dance studio, with a furniture shop at ground level (was a restaurant) also the local newspaper has its office there, upstairs are various offices, I'm sure that will eventually change again, across the road the bank is now a restaurant.

One of the things we found was if you involve the youth in problem areas they don't usually vandalise their own projects, instil some pride!

Well said Canny Lass.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now