Land for Development - Bedlington/Nedderton

toffo

Malcolm wrote:

"The objection I have is that there isn't any infrastructure to support the community 25 years ago never mind now. Lack of recreational avenues and no investment into the commercial offer have left us hopelessly mismatched as a viable Town."

Couldn't agree more! I'm all behind your ongoing push for leisure facilities, for example. As I said, though, this is a commuter town, somewhere nice to live, within easy reach of the main employment areas, good schools, and with a few nice places to eat and a handful of decent pubs. I'm afraid that, with fear of being shot down, shops as we knew them are no longer a prime consideration for home buyers. The number of Asda vans I used to see making deliveries on Dunstanburgh Close was an eye opener.

Toffo wrote:

"We were informed the spare land on Hazelmere ten years ago was allocated for a first school, I think the majority of residents on Hazelmere would have welcomed the afore mentioned shops / pub / school if asked, last year?"

That's right, but Adam is correct in that it was originally earmarked for the pub/shop/centre. I don't agree the majority of residents would have welcomed a pub (pubs don't belong in housing estates); the school was unnecessary; a shop would have been nice but is hardly missed, and the community centre, as I've said, would not have been used to a viable extent.

"Wonder where the supporters will stand then if having to run the gauntlet of leaving arriving during peak times?"

But isn't this always going to be a problem in a town with just a few single file in and out roads? There will always be traffic at peak times, it's just how it is; however, see my comments about the rise in telecommuting. In twenty years time the idea of driving fifteen miles to an admin job in Newcastle will be long forgotten; more and more people will work from home. It's cheaper, more convenient, and just as efficient. For the record, I'm neither for nor against the new housing - I won't be upset if they don't get built - but I simply see that there will be a need for new housing on an ongoing basis. I champion the town, it's a lovely place to live and has everything I need (says a Choppington resident!) but as  Malcolm says, there are certain aspects missing. Let's hope these can be resolved.

**Before I go, regards the peak time traffic in Bedlington: it's nothing. A few minutes wait on the run from Hazelmere to the roundabout may be a little annoying, but compared to some places I've lived, with similar populations, it's nothing.

Merc,

As I said I think we are on the same page here but I don't see why Bedlington can't be the very best dormitory town and have the very best facilities of any in the country! We can't turn the tide back but what we can do is channel it in the most advantageous way for ourselves. I don't see why we can't have a thriving shop sector and I don't see why we can't have some recreational facilities for adults and our youngsters! We do need some innovative plans and mass community support but I don't think it's impossible. Course with so many imponderables it might be a case of………………….

post-23-0-19515800-1421399430_thumb.png

"I don't see why we can't have a thriving shop sector and I don't see why we can't have some recreational facilities for adults and our youngsters!"

I'm with you on the recreational facilities, and hope that things change on that front, but I remain unconvinced by Bedlington's ability to have a thriving shop sector. Grocery shopping is now in the domain of the major 'out of town' superstores; to be frank, most of those I know go to Asda at Bebside for their weekly home shop, as the choice is better. I can't see that changing any time in the future, especially as home deliveries will become more prevalent. I would love to see smaller, independent shops doing trade on what is a very attractive Front Street; I know you championed French Grey Tales - now sadly decamped to Morpeth - and that is the sort of thing I'm getting at. Bedlington has little through traffic other than those that live here; a Tesco/ASDA/enter name here superstore in the town would never garner the footfall required to justify it. I have to say that, when the original Tesco plans came to light, I was one of those who said it would never progress beyond what it is now, a very ordinary supermarket. I note the new Handicrafts shop at the West End has received a lot of praise; I know of many people who used it for christmas presents. Will it last?I hope so, I'd rather see it than another hairdressers/beauty salon, of which we have enough.

As I wrote earlier one area the town should be promoting is the restaurants/bistros: go to Trip Advisor and you'll see nothing but absolute praise for Bistro 62, which one seasoned reviewer, not from the town, rated as 'simply the best restaurant in Northumberland' and beyond anything he'd experienced in Newcastle. I can concur: only visited once, but it was an absolute delight. Ashianna's also gets a lot of hits, the Italian at the old Dun Cow also. It's an area in which the town seems to be winning, hands down.

Don't see why we can't have thriving shops merc? I do think there is a hell of a lot of work to do to get there mind but with the right people and attitude I don't see why we can't get the masses of people who live in these new houses we have seen emerge in Bedlington over the last 30 years to use Front Street and its shops.

First thing of course you have to get the correct shop offer then a joined up effort to winkle people out of their homes and actually walk down the street to see what they are missing. Then make it habitual!

Smaller contemporary service sector and niche retailers would be my initial thoughts at present.

Smaller contemporary service sector and niche retailers would be my initial thoughts at present.

Mine too; this is what I'd like to see. The problem is that niche goods are readily available at competitive prices without the need to leave your home. My entire Christmas shopping list for the nieces and nephews was completed online. It's quick, convenient and cheap. I'm not sure what can be done in a town such as Bedlington to encourage people to open shops that would be welcomed and used regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed by today see the diggers at creating an entrance route and land is marked out can't find anything on planning part of NCC website?

I don't know what is going on but it does look highly suspicious, they were at work on Saturday at 9.00am when I went past.

Public meeting on the Friday night, diggers there first thing Saturday. Pointless meeting? We attended and learned of 200 homes to be built along with retention pond. A roundabout to be installed where Netherton Lane joins the main road out of the town. On the face of it, didn't look too bad and gives the town a natural border, but it's the lack of transparency of where the builders local investment funds goes that grates with me. I'm more concerned about rumours of building to the north of Edinburgh drive and around to the land behind Meadowdale Accademy field (essentially joining hazelmere to the chesters), with access roads via Edinburgh and Featherstone I presume. Looking at Google maps I can't see any natura space for an access road via the chesters. Traffic in and out of the estate if this happens will cause significant problems with only one way into the whole estate.

Thanks toffo.

The traffic will affect this area of Bedlington.

I also worry about the lack of school places, these houses will be bought by young families.

In other areas school places are a lottery .

Children can be expected to travel to a school, more traffic.

I was born in 1946 and there was a similar problem.

The solution was school in Netherton Colliery and a walk.

Now it would require a car.

Malcolm, the map was dated August 2012 and part of a Nathaniel Lichfield and Partners "Sustainable Future Living" for Bedlington which I believe was possible commissioned by Mr Rutherford. I think what local planners and councillors miss out on is the direct effect these things actually have on peoples day to day life's. People like looking out of there windows and seeing open views, they like going for walks in the countryside which is virtually on there doorsteps. It makes people feel good in a world which is really messed up at the moment. The last thing we really want and need in Bedlington right now is more homes, pollution, traffic jams, extra waiting at doctors.... There is more negatives than positives unless you add the money from extra council tax up which will probably end up paying for the new council offices in Ashington!

"People like looking out of there windows and seeing open views, they like going for walks in the countryside which is virtually on there doorsteps. It makes people feel good in a world which is really messed up at the moment."

All well and good Scoop, people do enjoy those things (I'm lucky enough to have a nature reserve outside my back gate) but, with respect, very few people in Bedlington can wake up and look out over open views and green fields; most, after all, are hemmed in on housing estates, with only those on the edge having the privilege of such views. As for walking in the countryside that is 'virtually on their doorsteps', it still will be, it's not going anywhere soon. The land earmarked for development in this scheme is, if I'm not wrong, privately owned. From what I've seen, the footpaths already there will not be affected (as those that existed when Hazelmere was built were not). It's all very well wanting to keep 'our' town at the size it is now, but what about those people who want to come and live here, who see it's attractions (including those above) and wish also to enjoy them?As I said in an earlier post, it's clear demand exceeds supply - the new batch of houses on Hazelmere have pretty much all been snapped up. Yes, the infrastructure needs work, in all areas you mention, but while the negatives outweigh the positives for you, for those looking for a new home in a nice place with all the attributes mentioned, it's more positive than negative.

I think you might have missed some of my point, Scoop. I agree with many of your points - as I stated - I simply think there's a bigger picture here, which addresses the inevitable fact that more people are going to want to come and live here in the future. People are living longer, the population is growing, and an attractive place to live, in pleasant surroundings, with good schools for the children and transport networks to the main areas of employment is always going to attract new families. The trick is, as has been discussed much, how to improve the services and infrastructure to cope with a population increase that we can't do anything about.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now