Core Strategy Full Draft Plan

Remember to go tomorrow.

Huge significance for the next 20years and Bedlington.

Do not be 'fobbed off' read carefully what is on the future plans.

The Blue House plans and the Broadway House development were just not in the Core Strategy plans December 2013 that I read about and collected their shinny brochure.

They were odd sites not considered but slipped in.

They were on separate maps and only when you asked questions did you realise that they were hugely significant.

West Bedlington Council did not seem aware and a meeting of Bedlington In Bloom took place on the same night.

Only dedicated councillors were at that meeting for Bedlington in Bloom

No one seemed to realise what had been slipped in under the radar.

On a numbers game.

The plans were :-

Broadway House Farm was number 6744.

West of Westlea on land that floods 6773

Haselmere up to the Blue house Farm 6775

Behind Haselmere 6774.

The plan was/is for 1,200 new dwellings over twenty years

Equating to sixty houses per year on average

The plan also says that a new area for housing will be needed North of the Town.

Guidepost/ Stakeford and Choppington get their own plan that is separate .

That details 420 new dwellings.

With some new housing to South of Guidepost.

Maybe today will show different details.

Whether the schools, doctors or even roads can deal with the extra people is an issue.

South East Northumberland is to get 12,820 new dwellings over the twenty year period.

Second last line is what I kept at them about. There is a part which says........ infrastructure for new developments, but what was talking about initially was physical infrastructure, roads, paths, drains etc. I asked them to consider social infrastructure, schools, doctors, leisure and commercial infrastructure to support any new development. Hope they took it all on board!

The answer is we will have an older population therefore school places not needed.

I do not think they have any answers.

Basically Government led.

Money making for the developers.

They say they have looked at the ratio of properties sold and properties that will be needed.

I think the figures will prove to be what they want them to be .

Hope I am wrong and we end up with an amazing town!

The brochure on the Full Draft Plan for Northumberland is interesting.

Before 2031 South East Northumberland which is the narrow band from Amble down to the Tyne is to be 'Delivered' of 12,540 new houses.

The rest of Northumberland is to be 'Delivered' of

On the basis of this planning it seams South East Northumberland will have no protected

'Green Belt'

The brochures will be available today at Choppington Social Welfare Centre 1pm till 4pm

Newbiggin Leisure Centre tomorrow 10am till 2pm.

Huge significance for us all and our narrow South East Northumberland Area.

Will we end up like the ghost areas of Southern Ireland where new houses just did not sell.

I hope this does not happen and the planned growth and the forecasts are true and accurate.

No one wants to halt progress.

Headlines in the News Post Leader this week suggest 800 people have signed a petition against 480 new houses.

This is just the start, if we are not considered to have any protected 'Green Belt'.

Please, if you can, get a brochure this is the future for all of us.

The brochure on the Full Draft Plan for Northumberland is interesting.

Before 2031 South East Northumberland which is the narrow band from Amble down to the Tyne is to be 'Delivered' of 12,540 new houses.

The rest of Northumberland is to be 'Delivered' of

On the basis of this planning it seams South East Northumberland will have no protected

'Green Belt'

The brochures will be available today at Choppington Social Welfare Centre 1pm till 4pm

Newbiggin Leisure Centre tomorrow 10am till 2pm.

Huge significance for us all and our narrow South East Northumberland Area.

Will we end up like the ghost areas of Southern Ireland where new houses just did not sell.

I hope this does not happen and the planned growth and the forecasts are true and accurate.

No one wants to halt progress.

Headlines in the News Post Leader this week suggest 800 people have signed a petition against 480 new houses.

This is just the start, if we are not considered to have any protected 'Green Belt'.

Please, if you can, get a brochure this is the future for all of us.

All the protected green belt Maggie will be round Morpeth, wonder why that is?

"The answer is we will have an older population therefore school places not needed."

Was this the answer given by 'them', Maggie? If so they miss the point completely. An older population does not mean less youngsters, but more!

They have all the answers but no answers.

Older generations will maybe live longer.

The figures can be disputed on every count.

Working extra years and the old NHS problems may end up with people not living longer.

Zero hour contracts and lack of job prospects mean lots of the younger generation are moving back into the parental home.

Basically our children and grandchildren cannot aspire to a house purchase.

They claim to have looked at the figures of houses for sale against properties not selling.

The conclusions could be disputed!

Yesterday we drove to Tynemouth and back by Blyth. We were shocked by the number of new developments.

Blyth from Bebside was traffic saturation , no one was moving.

The traffic jam was unbelievable.

Being late for your own funeral must happen all to often!

What happens to all the extra traffic when the new developments are complete!

By 2031 when this Core Strategy has been completed we will truly have a very different SE Northumberland.

The details and the 'No Protected Green Area' will have huge implications.

Developments are being turned down but consider that

1) there is an election soon and

2) developers with money to spare can and do appeal to the Secretary of State, where all to often local decisions are overturned .

The consultation time is nearly up and all that is planned will happen .

My wish is it does not ruin this beautiful area that we love so very much.

Interesting points Maggie, if I may respond to a couple:

"Older generations will maybe live longer."

I don't see a maybe; they are doing, and will continue to do so.

"Zero hour contracts and lack of job prospects mean lots of the younger generation are moving back into the parental home.
Basically our children and grandchildren cannot aspire to a house purchase."

I'm not sure about this; most of those I know in the 25-25 age range, for example, either have a mortgage or are renting, rather than living at home.

As for zero hours contracts, a contentious issue I agree, but one that is somewhat exaggerated. Figures are disputed, but the number of people on such contracts is somewhere between 600,000 and 1.4million. They tend mostly to be young people in part time jobs, and it doesn't actually mean they get zero hours. It's not new - as many think it to be - and can be beneficial for the likes of young mothers who, say, can only work a shift here and there. It isn't going to have a massive effect on the working trends of the future (see my comments on telecommuting, which will have a far greater effect).

"Blyth from Bebside was traffic saturation , no one was moving.
The traffic jam was unbelievable."

That's a different situation to Bedlington, though: Cowpen Road is the only main thoroughfare into and out of Blyth from the Spine Road (I always go the long way via South Beach); Blyth has a population of approaching 40,000. The road is also home to a very big and much used industrial estate and a couple of busy shopping centres. Statistically it is the busiest road in the county at rush hours. Contrast that with Bedlington, which has a population of less than half - it will never approach that of Blyth - and four different routes in and out of the town in different directions.

I'm aware of the potential effect and problems of the infrastructure of a lovely town, but I'm not sure we cam expect Cowpen Road type situations.

As for the green land, remember there's a lot of it around here; some will be gobbled up by housing, it's the inevitable march of time.

So with all of these new homes, builders have to pay the council vast sums for local investment. Local meaning Ashington as we all know. Investment in schools such as the West End (or even replacement of) is essential, but this money will be swallowed up elsewhere, leaving bedlington without. And all of these extra homes means extra council tax, again we'll not see much of that come out way either.

There is certainly not much going for Bedlington as we've been let down time after time by local MPs and councils. Mr Lavery, that's you. Speaking to people around the town I know I'm not the only one to be thinking sod this, time to up sticks and move somewhere that invests in its residents rather than siphon cash from one town to an under privileged neighbour....again.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The core strategy and a neighbourhood plan are being looked at carefully by the 'Make a Noise Group'

Anyone with any expertise in planning and all matters related is /are needed.

So far Bedlington has lost out.

Maybe this is the time for everyone to help.

• 2 months later...

Seems to me that the developers win every time.

The Core Strategy Brief Guide States

'We have to consider some new developments on green field sites and in the Green Belt'

The guide proposes a managed approach to reviewing the existing Green Belt, in order that we protect it against pressure from inappropriate developments.

Open Season.

'We have to consider some new developments on green field sites and in the Green Belt'

The guide proposes a managed approach to reviewing the existing Green Belt, in order that we protect it against pressure from inappropriate developments.

Open Season.

Open Season.#

Yep.......

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now