Zepplin raid over Bedlington - apr 14-15 1915

I know the photoshopped postcard has appeared many times

post-3031-0-85644100-1420577953_thumb.jp

and the validity of a Zepplin raid over our town scoffed at. I am not saying this is true but whilst searching for info on Dr Trotters monument trying to establish the possible date the fake was first published) I found a couple of links where the story of a Zepplin route, dropping bombs, is documented.

The info is :-  14/15 Apr 1915 Wed/Thu. 7.30-9.00 p.m.

The Zeppelin L9, on her first mission, made landfall just north of Blyth, and at Cambois she was attacked with rifle fire from the 1st Battalion Northern Cyclists. She dropped bombs at West Sleekburn and then followed a winding course to the south passing over Choppington, Bedlington, Cramlington, Seaton Burn and Forest Hall; 14 bombs were dropped en route, all falling on fields. She then headed for Wallsend harmlessly dropping 9 bombs on the way. 6 IB were dropped at Wallsend, one hitting a cottage and slightly injuring a woman and a girl. 2 more bombs were dropped before L9 turned east and crossed the coast at Marsden. (L9 caught fire in its shed at Fuhlsuttel, Germany 19 Sep 1916).

The source is :- http://www.bpears.org.uk/Misc/War_NE/w_section_08.html

I believe one can still see the crater left by the bomb at Choppington; I live yards away but have ever looked. I will later, and will take a photo if I can find it.

**Incidentally, I think the postcard predates Photoshop by some years! Perhaps the word has now entered usage as meaning 'an altered picture'?

Edited by mercuryg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now