Terrier Plate Works - Market Place (Millne House)

Tonyp

Someone will have to explain this a little more to me; where, and when, and what are we talking about? All sounds very interesting.

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/gallery/image/1698-me-mam-advertising/

Only difficult if you don't glance at the piccies at the top of the current board index page! ;)

Tony's mum was called Sylvia, and - if my infant memory isn't addled - was a quite stunning red-head, and quite a personality in the town!  I suspect she may feature in other group pictures that have been posted. If I'm wrong here then someone will surely prove this right in the course of time.

Anyway, Tony's family, in common with other's in Bedlington, knew more about making bicycles than just about anywhere else in the UK.  Making real things featured heavily in the town's economy before WWII, and for a bit over a decade after.  During the war they supplied the forces who sent Bedlington bikes all over the World. They still turn up in barns and foreign fields. Interestingly, they also produced the components for those sectional Bailey Bridges you see in the war films.  I think Billy Scott - Scotts Engineering Works - up the bank behind the former Elliott's Garage - also contributed here, and there was a good deal of mutual exchange of engineering services.

Ah, so the Terrier Plate Works was about steel fabrication and light engineering and not about ceramics.  I had visions of crates full of teapots, cups and saucers and gravy boats, all packed in straw, being carted down to the Station and humped onto trains for the start of the long journey across the Empire.

Has anybody collated any of this information/history?  This is the first I've heard about it and would love to discover more.

Oops, I've just looked at that advert for the Plate Works ... they were making plates!  But were they ceramic or repousse metalwork ... hard to work-out from the ad.

Edited by Symptoms

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now