Enough City Hall.......

I may well know the answer, but it wouldn't be fair to say, right away.

Here's a secondary question that's a lot more difficult:

220px-Neagle.jpg

What's the connection?

Yep, all aboard the tootoo ... fond memories.  I've posted here before about getting to and from the Mayfair in the late 60s ... I suppose anybody interested could do a search here.  The traincops at the Central Station didn't like us lads hanging around for the train and would chase us off ... we would then buy a platform ticket (out of a machine, maybe cost 2d or 3d) and get on the tootoo with that.  Obviously, there was no gadgie at Morpeth checking tickets in the middle of the night.  Then the tramp home through all sorts of weather, including once knee deep in snow and only wearing my hippy sandals.

It was in Pink Lane (the short cut to the Central Station from Clayton St).  There were a couple of cafes there but the so-called 'all-nighter' shut at 2.30am ... it might even have been a Wimpy Bar.  Anyway, its real claim to fame was the meeting place for the London gangster, Jack Carter, to meet his neice in the 1971 film Get Carter.

Maggie the late night café opposite the Central Station was called 'BOWERS'. All the groups in the area would congregate there on Fri/Sat/Sun nights after gigs. Lots of 'groupies' too.

• 4 weeks later...

Technicolor romance Maytime in Mayfair (1949).

Yay!  A belated New Year's gong goes to Eggy!

And.. the photo is of course of Anna Neagle, who hardly gets a mention today even assuming current generations know the name.  Such is tinsel-town fame!

A leading star in British films for over 25 years from 1932, she won several awards as Britain's favourite actress and biggest female box-office draw. She was awarded a CBE in 1952 and created DBE in 1969.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now