Oldest foreign food takaway

Tonyp

I'd say the first takaway in bedlington was the Chinese takaway which was in hirst terrace before the whole street got knocked down I remember my parents saying you can't eat there they it dogs emm there chips & gravy was lush & there chop suey rolls were massive

Hi Tony,a knaa wa taakin aboot Bedltn here,but yi just gave me a blast from thi past!!

Not Bedltn,mind,but can yi mind o' thi "Kam Tong" Chinese restaurant in Blyth,in thi mid-sixties?

It was,as you would expect,immaculately presented,and thi ckicken n chips were gorgeous............till yi read in the Evening Chronicle,that they had been fined and closed doon because of....ahem....hygiene regulations breaches.........cats,rats,dogs,evrything but chicken....in thi fridges to cook!!

Mind....it's aal thi syem,when yi put a bit saalt n vinegar,and tomaarti saaace aal owa it....!!!!..[except for thi smaal bones that get stuck in ya throat.......heh heh!]

.........Sorry Tony,a got carried away....as yi dae...like!!

A canna mind the first one in Bedltn,but a can mind one in Bedltnshire.....in the early 70's,at Guide Post,afore thi roondaboot was put there,it was caaled

" King Barbecue Express"...[ gorgeous ckicken n chips,which was a rare luxury treat in them days!!]

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

HPW - I remember that cooked cat story that you mentioned above.  It was very big local news and I remember reading about it in a local Blyth paper, the name of which I've forgotten.  It fed into the widely held mythology (racist) of the time about what was served-up in Chinese (another racial epithet was used back then) restaurants.  Wasn't the restaurant down an ally near the Market Square?

Aroond 1971 my Wifes' Sister's neighbour had been to Newcastle for a meal after the cinema.

The folks' little girl got a chicken bone stuck in her throat,and was choking.They rushed her to the RVI and the surgeons removed the bone.

They knew immediately,that it wasn't a chicken bone,it was a rat's. When Police raided the restaurant,they found the fridges stocked out with cats and rats.

The same procedure was gone through....fines...closure  etc,checks on all the other's..

The girl was extremely lucky that she survived,as she was cynanosed by the time she reached hospital....no paramedics then,no oxygen,etc....

The Chinese got a lot of bad press,but we have moved on a bit since then!!

How would a lot of folk survive if they didn' have their "Chinky's" to tek yem !!

Looking back,it was probably ignorance of our culture,compared to their's,what caused the problem.

If they eat rats,as some tribes still eat swallows and other small migratory birds,they probably thought it was o.k. to do it here!!

Not forgetting that we used to eat sparrows,and blackbirds,and crows,at one time!

................................baked in a pie!

To put things into perspective,a few years ago,I was in an English fish and chip shop,up Alexandra road,in Ashington,famished,waiting to be served.

As I paid for my order,I dropped a coin,which rolled.as they do.....under the counter,right across,under the girl assistants' feet,and under the bench where the vertical spit-roast meat thing was cooking.....[donner-meat...that's it!!].

The young girl reached down with the long knife,used for cuttin the donner meat,and tried to bring the coin out,nearer to her,which she did.

When I saw the muck and dust and filthy ball which came out with the coin,I was disgusted!

It was worse when she reached a filthy wet rag from the chip counter,and threw the knife back onto the donner meat tray....,after giving the knife blade a quick rub up it's lengh,to "clean"it...![then putting the rag back onto the chip counter!]

I never went back there again!

One's each!!

Symptoms.....it was the "Blyth News"....[in broadsheet in them days.."Ashington Post"....was it's Sister newspaper..]

Gud aad-fashinned clean and respectable reporting on local affairs.....who pinched Joe's gaarden fork oot thi allotments.....that sort o' thing!

Sorely missed!!

"The Blyth News"! What I nightmare that was I used to deliver them on Thursday night from Adamsons newsagents my round was Hollymount sq,terrace,ave etc people actually bought them same price as the chronicles but they were heavy & on Friday people used to get the Morpeth herald I guess there all free now...

The oldest Indian Takeaway in our memory was in Station Road Ashington.

Circa late 70s early 80s.

Before the Cavalier Restaurant in Morpeth changed to the Manzil maybe 83/4.

Our kids claimed they would never touch the food.

Pity that did not last they have cost us a fortune.

Today the food does not often taste of being cooked over charcoal.

We love all the fresh herbs and spices.

Pilau Rice , Nan Bread , tandoori Yum Yum

Is The Blyth News still going?  My old man was featured a few times  and it would be nice to see if they've got a searchable archive so I can get some 'clippings'.

Blyth Public Library used to have all the old Blyth News, they also had it on microfiche! is the library still there?

I remember going to the Mido Chinese Restaurant in Ashington in the late sixties. It was such a fabulous place to go you felt so posh. We remember sitting across from Doctor Stone and his wife and thinking we were so special . I used to order Chicken  Maryland and Lychees for dessert or of course Banana Fritters with Golden Syrup which were gorgeous. Those were the days  and everything was new.

Dr Stone was the medic nominated to conduct my medical examination as part of my Uni application in early 69.  I went to his surgery, which was on Netherton Lane, to 'drop my pants' and cough, various pressures taken and vital fluids dipped;  I got a clean bill of health,  "a fine specimen" were his exact words.  The funny thing is I vividly remember him talking about importance of pecker cleanliness for students and ensuring no build-up of foreskin cheese to ensure the health of the ladies - I kid you not!  He talked about the very low incidence of cervical cancer in the Jewish women and the link to male circumcision (no cheese).

Edited by Symptoms

There was an Indian restaurant in Whitley Bay opposite a pub where an old lady played the piano and everyone had a 'Sing Song'.

Then there were the Indian restaurants in Newcastle's Bigg Market.

Plus one near Westgate Road which had a door to the toilets in a wall painted to look like a jungle.

Happy Days.

YesterdayI wrote a reply to doglover's posting about Dr Stone but it has mysteriously disappeared.  Could it have been lost in the ether or was it deleted?  If the Mods deleted it wouldn't courtesy expect me to get some sort of spanking via the Personal Message facility?  Oh, I've just noticed that below my username is "0 warning points", what does this mean?

Spot on Maggs.  My mission here is always to educate.  Perhaps if I'd used the medical term Smegma, those whose fingers hover over the' kill trigger' may have paused, scratched their heads, referred to a handy Anatomy and Physiology book (or headed to Wikipedia) to discover what the term meant.  I hope they would have then realised that I was dealing with a very important health matter for men, and by association women.  Other facts in my post reference World Health Organisation research studies that has been conducted for decades, so Dr Stone was clearly on top of his game.

Note of caution ... the sawbones wasn't discussing something he found on me but was talking about general health issues confronting young men and women in the 60s and especially those leaving home for higher education.  Oh, and the issue remains relevant today.

Tony, my reference was Dr Stone caught scoffing in the Chinese restaurant ... and off I went in a different direction to discuss the expertise of the sawbones;  nothing to do with chips, chicken chow mein, flied lice or Cheshire cheese.

Clearly, my pleadings in an earlier post above, fell on receptive lugholes.  The tale of Sym's bits being examined and the wider issue of health well being has been restored ... thank you Mods. 

Dr Stone had a son who I was mates with for a time, but I can't remember his given name as most of us went by nicknames back then (obviously his was Stoney) ... any help with his given name????

Mods, what does that "0 warning points" mean?

The software we use has a built in warning system based on a points system. Points don't get you prizes but temporary posting restrictions or a ban if the points reach a threshold. Don't worry though we've never had the need for it here as moderation is very hands off. The only things that ever really get moderated are if people start with personal attacks or basic decency is overlooked. You only get to see your own warning level, others won't see it and in the new version coming soon it won't even show at all unless you have a warning. 

Tony, my reference was Dr Stone caught scoffing in the Chinese restaurant ... and off I went in a different direction to discuss the expertise of the sawbones;  nothing to do with chips, chicken chow mein, flied lice or Cheshire cheese.

Clearly, my pleadings in an earlier post above, fell on receptive lugholes.  The tale of Sym's bits being examined and the wider issue of health well being has been restored ... thank you Mods. 

Dr Stone had a son who I was mates with for a time, but I can't remember his given name as most of us went by nicknames back then (obviously his was Stoney) ... any help with his given name????

Hi Sym.[and everybody else!]....

No bugga worse than HPW for gaan ti Newcastle ti get ti Edinburgh!! .....so nae grumbles here marra!

Noo,Dr Stone had 2 Sons,that Aa knew of,one of whom was sadly taken away in a car crash,many years ago.

His other Son was called Richard,[or "Rocky" to those who he called his friends....certainly not me..!! ]

Sym,I will PM you the reason why ,cos what I was going to share,might be considered a breach of privacy...or whatever!!!!!

Suffice to say that Dr Stone was a very well-thought of Doctor.

..........and his Son wrote my car off which was parked outside of my door,while I was asleep in bed...where HE should have been at 5-0 am!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now