Start nominating

A Northumberland town

:thumbsdown:  I think we've picked up one of those too on the homepage!  Didn't know we had Guardian writers living locally!

It's either "Bedlington" or simply use the definite article journos! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Great to,see the Xmas event back on however I nominate close the road off and have the international Xmas market stalls set up and create a real buzz, this would attract more people into the area and would be beneficial to all, after all it would happen like that in Morpeth!!!!!

Goona be a closed road Toffo and plentyl of market stalls!  (Nov 26th)  

Plus a FULL WEEK of activites to brighten up the Bedlington street scene.  Look out for promotional offers in a lot of the shops!!!!!!!

Some of us are trying to push, pull and drag Bedlington into the 21st century!  

Most of the hard work done by Leading Link as usual!  

Great stuff Toffo, bring your neighbours too.........starts 4.00pm I think?  

Activities on in most of the 'closed' shops all week.  Even the mighty Tesco have given us the use of the old Indian Restaurant, downstairs and upstairs!  Plenty stuff going on there and also at the old Gas Shop, many thanks to the owners there too! :whistle:  

Nearly had the old shoe shop but its got tenants going in.  

Just trying to make Bedlington Front Street at least seem busy in the run up to Xmas!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was having a gander in at the shop where they were making all sorts of goodies the other day.

Looked really nice having another shop besides tesco with lights on.

I made the assumption that we plumped for a smaller tree to cater for the amount of visitors and stalls.

If only someone had some way of filming the entire thing from the air  :shiftyninja:

Mal, I've just had a look, via your link above,  at Leading Light;  looks to be a worthwhile venture.  Just a quick question:  I noticed that some of the Trustees had links to the Catholic school/church.  Is the Charity a Catholic one, or is it an ecumenical one, or is it secular?

While some of the trustees are of that persuation Sym the organisation is secular. (Read its mission statement.)

In fact there are children from ALL local schools taking part.

As far as I am concerned this is our children showing us what can be achieved with a little bit of imagination and quite a bit of stocism.

While some of the trustees are of that persuation Sym the organisation is secular. (Read its mission statement.) In fact there are children from ALL local schools taking part. As far as I am concerned this is our children showing us what can be achieved with a little bit of imagination and quite a bit of stocism.

It's brilliant; all too often I hear people talking negatively about the youngsters. I find them, on the whole, to be pleasant and polite, and enthusiastic. Kudos for the organisations encouraging them to get involved in stuff like this.

Thanks for the clarification Mal.  I did read the mission statement on my first visit, but, but, but .... often these have to be 'taken with a pinch of salt'.  I'm glad that it's honest.  Ditto with merc's post above.

Back in the day* there was quite a bit of 'organised' stuff for us kids to do: popular and well-attended youth clubs attached (and run) by the schools, cubs/scouts/guides, lots of activities nearby (Humford Baths, for example).  I'm sure other 'old timers' here could add to the list.  Oh, and our parents would be content to let us stay-out all day doing our shit ... now they're petrified of lurking kiddie fiddlers.

*Pre-Thatcher evisceration terror.

Bit disappointed to see its running for 4-6pm by the time we get home pick kids up etc will more than likely miss it, could have been so much better organised over a weekend! Such as lights on fri evening (no problems with school nights and keeping kids out later) stalls out all weekend give the whole town and any hopeful visitors a chance to look round, look at what newcastle and morpeth achieves! Aim high Bedlington!!!

Just look what some poxy little town in Cheshire did to gain National (and International) attention for their Chrissylight switch-on.  They created a Fartbook page and Twatter storm about the glorious William Shatner (Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise) coming to do the deed ... of course, it was all a fib but it resulted in massive publicity.

What a missed trick for Bedders ... it could have been put-out there that he was coming 'from far away' to get a free haircut* before the aliens turned up.

*for those who don't know what that reference means do a forum search or wait for clarification.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now