Labour Has The Answer

threegee

I knew they would, after all they created most of the problem.

Answering questions tonight about concerns, from within her own party, that Labour now needs to offer something to control immigration shadow attorney general Emily Thornberry MP thought for a second then inspirationally offered that the EU should look into - no, I'm not making this up - counting immigrants better! A surprised Newsnight's Emily Maitlis asked the obvious: how on earth... no no, says our budding senior law officer, this will help to better plan for the immigrant flows!

post-2-0-77747600-1412991062_thumb.png

Further pressed on what Labour would do she interjected "...no no what they are talking about is their jobs being taken and them being undercut and what I'm saying is that UKIP does not have the answer to that.. ..it seems to me that one of the things we have to do is make sure there is a level playing field and people [immigrants] get proper worker's rights."

So, once again the Labour front bench is in total denial about a major problem facing their own electorate. The current interview strategy is to move off any awkward subject by saying ..when talking to people the conversation quickly moves on to [insert diversionary topic].. thus completely avoiding the actual issue.  This is championship level chicanery, and the responses are so uniform and predictable that Labour must at least have a manual, if not run a full course, to teach too-hot-to-handle issue avoidance.

Listening to the debate seems futile all to often.

After all, immigration is a fact of life, we all feel free to travel and settle all over the World.

We live on a small island and our life here is good.

Even so people move to live elsewhere.

I wonder where our own ancestors emigrated from.

We could be surprised !

It is my opinion that the electorate are voting about a basic mistrust of all these career politicians.

Even the Scottish Independence could be just a vote against all that has and is going on at Westminster.

We have learnt about 'the brown paper bag system' !

In order to feel secure we have to trust our government and others to act fairly..

GGG ... substitute Tory for Labour in your posting above and the meaning stays essentially the same.  None of them has a cogent arguement that can be defended - the phrase 'twisting in the wind' comes to mind.  As to ukip's take ... presumably, the saintly Malala Yousafzai would have failed the entry medical being looked at by them.

Actually Sym the Tory guy was sort of rational in his responses.  Yeah, he did trot out the party line about we need to have a renegotiation of EU treaties first, and a lot of the interview was devoted to off-topic goading him into saying if/when he was going to defect to UKIP (accompanied by cut-away shots to sickly sarcastic smiles from mouthy fat lady in red), but there was nothing that you could pin down to being straight out of the newthink manual.

On the medical thing, I think you've been reading the Guardian again.  Nigel was at pains to say that all he wants is Australian/Canadian type immigration health checks.  It costs £300K for a full course of AIDS treatment; are we intending to write a cheque for everyone who turns up at Dover with a story of how their own government won't treat them?

Maggie: I sort of agree with you, but I think the disenchantment with Westminster is particularly severe with traditional left-leaning people like you. It's easy to see why as you feel you've no longer anywhere to go.  I'd urge you to talk to some of the local UKIP people.  Before you dismiss the suggestion consider that many of them are from the same background as you, and at root have the same sorts of values.  It's a bottom-up organisation which can accommodate differences of opinion on how to get there, and it's one where you really can influence your representatives.  Over the past couple of years policies definitely have moved leftward, and as more old-labour voters join that can only continue.  Even if you only take up common cause to burst the Westminster bubble you will have achieved something worthwhile.  I think that many traditional Labour voters are already doing this (some maybe subconsciously), and many ex-Tory voters now don't give a damn if Miliband gets elected or not because there's no real difference, and he will rapidly hang himself anyway.  There's also an increasing chance that neither Cameron or Miliband will ever happen, as both parties are receiving the shock they have long deserved.

Years ago I remember sitting in the Northumberland arms having a pint it was the eve of the general election the one which caused

Years of misery by a tyrant,2 lasses were sitting having a drink both are still around bedders now. I asked them who they were

Voting for they said that women's name I said why,they said "because she is a women & we've never had a women P.M". I've never

Seen 2 gullible lasses like that in my life voting on a whim but it happens....

Seems to me those two girls had more basic common sense than the people who vote tribally for a rosette. They'd at least identified a real common cause.  No one now questions that a "mere woman" can handle the highest public office in the land, and by extension any other. :)

I'm not saying it as a mere woman as putting her down I just didn't like what she did for the country & the hardship she caused

it's why they voted that concerned she had chrisma,for that you can't deny. Just like that banker boy who runs ukip if he was

Working in the city he would be still getting slated by working class people for his massive bonuses ..Fair dues though he

Does do a good spin. He's convincing lots of people so you can see why he'd got one...

Not a banker Tony, a metals trader - just a glorified scrap yard dealer!  :)

He's had a real job, unlike the vast majority of our current MP's. See what BBC anchor Andrew Marr says, even though he has to hedge it around a bit to get it past the thought police at the Beeb:

On the subject of modern politics Marr said people should not become MPs until they're 40 as he criticised the lack of "gritty, real-world experience" in the House of Commons.

Marr said as a young journalist he had entered the political world where politicians had "really good experience.

"When I started out I. Politics reporting, there were still Tories who had had a good war, built their own companies, had really good experience, knew the inside out of a balance sheet, had employed and sat and worried about profits.

"On the Labour side you had ex-miners, metal workers, ex-factory hands, ex-posties.

"So there were people all over the House of Commons who had done other things first and that really mattered.

He added: "We've lost most of that gritty, real-world experience in the House of Commons.

"I would like to see nobody - this is ridiculous but I'm going to say it anyway - nobody in the House of Commons until they are 40. That way they always have to do something first."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/520671/Tony-Blair-Number-10-Downing-Street-Andrew-Marr

On MT, well... we are British, not followers of some Middle East religion, so we can cheerfully agree to disagree and celebrate the difference. I'm sure we'd both have rather different views if we'd been on the other side of the fence at the time.  It's history now, and what matters is the future and our kids future.  I think we are all pretty much looking at the future from the same perspective now.

I've got to agree with Tony on this point, Threegee. That the two girls voted for MT just because we hadn't had a woman PM!!! As I said in the other site (please read) we have always had a voting mentality of my dad voted labour and so I shall. What we need is real change and personally I couldn't give a rat's sh*t if the next PM was a prince or a pauper as long as he/she can deliver the goods. What we all must understand is that politics isn't about one man - or woman. (though Maggie tried to rule the roost - to her downfall) Politics and the running of the country takes many people and people make mistakes - we have to realise this. No one person can Guarantee a 'Golden Age'...so let's not get carried away on the promises of one party. Please don't lose sight of realistic politics. Not even the Athenians - the very cradle of politics - could deliver the goods.

..you worry me I'm worried you might be buying brown shirts...

What worries me Tony is that I've recently been skimming Karl Marx and finding some of the logic compelling!  Particularly the bits about how wages are driven down.

My real concern is the neo-Nazis who control the EU (as at core is UKIP's).  So, by that token, you've got hold of entirely the wrong end of the stick. Tell me how you feel about the EU?  Good, bad, don't care?

Keith: We are talking history there, and can talk ourselves into a corner.  The only reason I get involved in arguments over MT is to illustrate to casual visitors (particularly youngsters who've never been exposed to it) that there's an alternative view.  Actually, it remains the view of at least half the country (and probably quite a few other members who are wise enough to keep their mouths shut): remember that MT got some thumping majorities, and only lost power by being deposed by her own cabinet.  There is no way I'm going to convince you or anyone else here of her motives. But, as she saw it, they were most certainly for the benefit of the entire country.  It's history; we are where we are, and we are talking about the future now. We can easily agree to disagree on the past.

Sorry, Threegee, you missed my point about MT - it wasn't a history rant.

As you said -  MT got some thumping majorities, and only lost power by being deposed by her own cabinet

She got deposed because she didn't listen to others - Geofrrey Howes' infamous cricket speech - if you recall.

That was the point I was trying to make - No single politician runs the country so let's not think Nigel Farage is going to wave a magic wand and make things better. If that was the case let's vote for Sooty...and Sweep... Izzy wizzy let's get busy.   :thumbsup: 

i

I concede that she became very out of touch in the final term.  I think ten years should be enough for anyone; so maybe a two-term limit wouldn't be a bad thing no matter how popular you are?

Looks like the Daily Mail of all rags has finally jumped onto the bandwagon. Might cause Miliband to choke on his bacon in the morning. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2789592/nigel-farage-did-win-don-t-play-fools.html?offset=500&max=100&jumpTo=comment-65964353#comment-65964353

I think Labour are likely to draft in some senior helpers for Miliband to try to make him look a tiny bit more competent.  They've employed Obama's spin doctor (Axelrod?) at some huge fee, and he'll be trying to earn it.  Maybe he's making them take the bacon sarnie test right now? :)  Where was he when Miliband wrote (and partly delivered) that speech?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now