Memories Of The Domino

I'll get it started............The Peddlers, Amen Corner.........walking across a sticky floor that nearly pulled your shoes off.

Before you blitz me, I know, there should have been another 'a' in champagne.

Willy - there are another couple of old posts about The Dominoe, but not a lot of acts named.

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/topic/3642-club-domino/

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/topic/3647-memories-of-the-past/

I, along with a group of lads from Bedlington Station, spent 3-4 nights per week in the place. My initial recall of names:-

Frank Ifield

Cathy Kirby

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich  - I got mistaken for Dozy (save the comments!) by two drunk girls and they floored me and crawled all over me. Unfortunately my mates dragged them off! 

The Ivy League

Carl Denver

Hypnotist – David Duvcal?

Duncan Norvelle – Catch me!

The Grumbleweeds

Can't recall the name of the resident band. They were rubbish, lead by the trumpet player who also attempted to sing. 

Great start though Eggy, quite a list of stars you mentioned there. I bet it triggers a few others memories, pity nobody collected the posters advertising the acts every week. What a trip down memory lane that would be. Maybe somebody has and may come forward when they read this.

How long did it take to start speaking to your mates again, I mean. that was damn selfish pulling those two birds off you. I can imagine you were just being friendly letting them help themselves.

Struggling now, lots of images flashing through but no names!

A group of us used to play football down at the park, past the Grammar School om a Sunday afternoon. Well tanked up!

As we passed the Wallaw cinema, closed by then - mid 1968 I would guess at, one Sunday, we noticed the doors open and a lot of activity inside. So in went Bob Pattison and from that day we got to know the guy who was one of the managers/organizers and he kept us up to date with the night club developments. Just about every Sunday the group would call in and be updated and shortly before the opening night the free entry passes were handed to us, and they kept on coming for months to come - hence the reason why we could afford to get in 3-4 nights per week. Remember one night, probably a Sunday when we stayed behind with the management after closing, when I eventually got home, and before I could get upstairs, me dad came down stairs and was absolutely amazed to see me for the first time ever up before him and what he thought, ready to go to work. Couldn't disappoint him, he handed me my bait - Shippams Beef paste and cold tatties (together) sandwiches - that he had prepared the night before and I turned around and went strait back out the front door and off to work. Good job it was office work, only damage done was to my forehead banking off things.

Just remembered - Lulu - Shout - the place was lifting.

Hypnotist – David Duval? (not Duvcal as above)

Edited by Eggy1948

Looked it up Keith, I didn't know this subject had already been covered or I would have thought twice about starting it up. It's just that it was such an important part of our lives in the 60's and 70's. I had my 21st there in 1969, and I played my last gig with Merlin there in 1971. before the band went back to London.

Really happy memories for me. My apologies to anyone who has had to put up with repetitiveness.

The claggy mat is always the first thing I think about whenever the Dom is mentioned, but I had forgotten about the Red Barrel and the chunky glasses. Yes it was crap, and it's a wonder no one got a hernia carrying the glasses.

I was treated to Champagne there once though on my 21st birthday. My pal bought 3 bottles, he had money and the rest of us didn't. He even went off and squandered quite a few quid at the tables. To us he was rich, his dad had 2 shops and a coffee bar (Carlo's Coffee Bar) in Blyth. Lucky Git, but if I remember rightly, the champagne didn't taste any better than the Red Barrel. I guess our ordinary working class taste buds weren't suited to such posh luxuries.

WillyJ & Eggy - go into History Hollow and type in Club Domino in search engine. There's a lot of stuff in there about the Claggy Mat. :thumbsup:

Willy - there are another couple of old posts about The Dominoe, but not a lot of acts named.

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/topic/3642-club-domino/

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/topic/3647-memories-of-the-past/

I, along with a group of lads from Bedlington Station, spent 3-4 nights per week in the place. My initial recall of names:-

Frank Ifield

Cathy Kirby

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich  - I got mistaken for Dozy (save the comments!) by two drunk girls and they floored me and crawled all over me. Unfortunately my mates dragged them off! 

The Ivy League

Carl Denver

Hypnotist – David Duvcal?

Duncan Norvelle – Catch me!

The Grumbleweeds

Can't recall the name of the resident band. They were rubbish, lead by the trumpet player who also attempted to sing. 

Keith - Work is just getting too much for you - see my reference, with two links, in my first post iro the Dominoe.

Wish I could remember the names of the, so called, comedians that died on that stage.  

Anybody remember when the Troggs played at the Domino? .....Girl.. you really got me now ..you got me so I don't know what I,m doing yeah Girl you really got me going.... they charged top dollar te see them I was underwhelmed te say the least, seeing them live but the song has grown on me and I play it in the car on occasion

Anybody remember when the Troggs played at the Domino? .....Girl.. you really got me now ..you got me so I don't know what I,m doing yeah Girl you really got me going.... they charged top dollar te see them I was underwhelmed te say the least, seeing them live but the song has grown on me and I play it in the car on occasion

Yes - Troggs and - Dave Berry (The Crying Game) - Norman Collier (Testing, Tes..., ..sting,.....) - Freddy and The Dreamers.

Did The Animals appear there?

Edited by Eggy1948

I'll get it started............The Peddlers, Amen Corner.........walking across a sticky floor that nearly pulled your shoes off.

Willy - as my memory was having a nap between remembering one of the turns I got the Sixtownships History Group members to help. There have been a load of acts names posted and I will work my way through the postings, extract the acts name and post them, along with the name of the person that remembered the act. - Like the one hit wonder 'Little Arrows(in the air)' Leapy Lea!  

Willy - as my memory was having a nap between remembering one of the turns I got the Sixtownships History Group members to help. There have been a load of acts names posted and I will work my way through the postings, extract the acts name and post them, along with the name of the person that remembered the act. - Like the one hit wonder 'Little Arrows(in the air)' Leapy Lea!  

Extract from Sixtownships posting, contributor's name first:-

Jan Hill  - Dave Berry, Norman Collier.

George Barnett  - freddy and the dreamers, the animals

Lynn Bramley  - always remember lulu been there

June Nichol  - I saw Gene Pitney at the domino

Alan Maddison -  Applejacks,(song Tell me when) Leapy Lee (song Little Arrows was his hit), unfortunately seen them both. One hit wonders !!!

Lyn Nicholson  - Remember going to see The Tremeloes definitely at The Domino x

Steve Davies -  Love Affair

Norma Agnew  - The searchers Desmond decker and the aces mac and Katie casoon Hermans hermits  - I also remember there was a female topless group on we were asked to take the big whiskey bottles down cos they were soiling the view for them standing at the bar the drummer was very popular. I worked there for a few years.

I remember going in one night and this little man was walking around wearing a fur coat I said ti the rest of the bar staff who brought the monkey the manager George England said in a very stern voice that Norma is Del Shannon. Oops.

Jackie Hoult -  I saw Gene Pitney at domino with Lynn Taylor, June Bingham and Thora Cole. In front row. Recall act before him was Dickie and Dotty! What a laugh they were?

Charlie Crisp - The Herd....

Doug Ramsey -  Frankie Vaughan,Joe Brown,The Caravelles,Dickie Henderson..

John Dawson - The main photographer was Bill Ward. What a photographer he was. So dedicated and captured many treasured memories he did.

Brian Davison – The Troggs, The Fantastics were there twice. with hit song (Something old something new something borrowed something blue.)

Allan Kidd -  Del Shannon ( twice),New Vaudeville Band, Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

Anne Donothey  - tommy trinder,mersey beats,.swinging blue jeans,geno washington and the ran jam band.x

Mick Riley -  Gene Pitney

Jack Kidd  - For the first couple of years John Shelly was the resident DJ, and I've been racking my brains trying to remember the name of the resident House Band? Can anyone throw any light on their name?

Dave Holland, or 'Holly' as he liked to be called got up on stage with us and sang a song at the Domino during our last gig in the North East. That was in 1971 Eggy, ask him if he remembers that night.

Dave Holland, or 'Holly' as he liked to be called got up on stage with us and sang a song at the Domino during our last gig in the North East. That was in 1971 Eggy, ask him if he remembers that night.

Willy - Dave remembers when he was DJing at the Domino and singing with many of the bands. He can't remeber 'Willy j.' - and I couldn't give him the name of your band cos I couldn't find it any of the posts.   

Eggy I'm not surprised he can't remember, he was drunk as a skunk. The band was called 'MERLIN' and I think he persuaded our lead guitarist Harry Bryzinski to let him get up and sing a song. I wasn't too keen on the idea as it was my last gig with the band, and I didn't want anything to spoil it. The band went back to London after that gig. Sad moment for me, but I had a wife and child up here and they came first.

Eggy I'm not surprised he can't remember, he was drunk as a skunk. The band was called 'MERLIN' and I think he persuaded our lead guitarist Harry Bryzinski to let him get up and sing a song. I wasn't too keen on the idea as it was my last gig with the band, and I didn't want anything to spoil it. The band went back to London after that gig. Sad moment for me, but I had a wife and child up here and they came first.

I will let him know the name of the band - Dave is on the fb Sixtownships History Group site. I just new him in 1967-68, both members of Bedlington YMCA.

• 4 weeks later...

willy j., on 12 Oct 2014 - 6:48 PM, said:snapback.png

I will let him know the name of the band - Dave is on the fb Sixtownships History Group site. I just new him in 1967-68, both members of Bedlington YMCA.

Willy - response from Dave Holland - 'I still see Dessie , he walks around with a porkpie hat on. Still a character . I remember Harry well, good guitarist. Dont remember Colin or Bill'

• 2 years later...

Just catched up wi this topic........better late than never!

My Wife and Me went speshully ti see Holly wi the Toby Twirl group.......GROUP!!!! ..[we didn't caal them BANDS!!...bands played trumpets!!]

After they set up and did the soond check,Holly was lukking aroond wi he's hand shading he's eyes ti see if any of he's marra's

had cum ti see him.

He got he's eye on me and came stryght up ti wor tyeble and sat doon aside wor lass,wi he's drink,till the stage-caal came.

As he got up ti gaan,he hoyed a haaf-croon on the tyeble and said Bill will ye get is a Bacardi n Coke for wa haaf-time please.?...[a didn't knaa wat that waas cos a was a tee-totaller...still am!]

[naa...aam sure it was TWO haaf-croons....cos a can mind thinking....ye bugga....he must be rich noo!]

Whey he came owa and had a gud crack aboot the aad days...[in the early-mid sixties..when we were aal starting oot wi nae gear hardly!],at haaf-time,then he said one last s'lang afore he went ti gaan inti thi van at the end of tha set.

He started the set wi "Up-up and away with my beautiful balloon" track....and the group's soond and of course Holly's voice was amazing![ mind,when he was a young-un,he did Mick  Jagger ti a T !!..he aalwis waas a gud vocalist..a real pro.]

Harry Bryzinsky played in a few groups in the early -mid sixties,and was an amazing guitarist!...even though his fast playing wasn't my style in them days.....mainly cos a cudn't play thi bugga like him!!

Aav nivvor seen Holly since that neet at the Dom. in 1968,but wud luv ti hook up wi him again one day,even though he wadn't knaa me noo![  me knickname's nivvor changed since it was forced upon me in 1959-ish...and pretty easy ti remember,...like!!].....

Los Zafiros played there,[aav still got the forst vinyl album they recorded before their tour],and they waaked aroond the audience,as Spanish/Mexican groups did,singing and playing guitars aroond ya tyeble ...porsinall-like,[singin' ti thi Wife....not ME!]

ARRGHH! A canna mind thi nyem o' thi strong man who won "Opportunity knocks" [Hughie Green's show]and came ti thi Dom!

He myed he's nyem bla'an' het waata bottles up till they borsted!....waas it Mike...summik or otha?

He lifted a Blacksmith's Anvil wi he's teeth...and when a local lad and h'e marras were heckling him...[drunk!],he invited the ring-leader up on stage ti try and lift the anvil just wi he's arms..[cos the lad accused him of having stage props,and any bugga cud lift a wood anvil!!]

Whey thi clivvor lad got up on stage....and fund oot it WAS a steel anvil..and he cudn't lift thi bugga two inches off the floor....which highly amused ivry bugga.....mebbe some folk thowt that HE was a "Prop",as part of the show.....believe me...that lad used ti kick wor lasses chair from under her in class at the Catholic School,and later ran the Nyeuk!![in Bedlington Market -place!!!]

Aye Tom!! A bet ye canna  mind o' that lark!!

The Ivy League played as weel...

Happy days they were!!

• Haha 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now