Loathe: Roadworks!

Steve

As I write this, we've had road works and 'temporary' traffic ligts on Stakeford Road (Welywn Bridge) for over three weeks, yet no sign of ANY work getting done. This seems commonplace in the North East, it causes congestion, inconvenience, and the distraction is a danger, it's only a matter of tie before it causes an accident. Other counties manage to get such works done within 48 hours - why can't ours?

Same is true of the A19 northbound, roadworks for around 6 months now, construction traffic at the side of the road, speed limit reduced to 50, yet no sign of any actual works?

I've contacted local councilor regarding the Stakeford Road situation, but feel it's going to take a lot more to get our council to start working effectively on such matters. I find it odd that we pay one of the highest council taxes in the country - Higher even than London, yet situations like the above are commonplace locally.

Contact for your local councillor/MP in the directory section (at the top of page) of this site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I write this, we've had road works and 'temporary' traffic ligts on Stakeford Road (Welywn Bridge) for over three weeks, yet no sign of ANY work getting done. This seems commonplace in the North East, it causes congestion, inconvenience, and the distraction is a danger, it's only a matter of tie before it causes an accident. Other counties manage to get such works done within 48 hours - why can't ours?

I was wondering what was going on with these lights, very annoying. Try fighting with the A1 traffic through Dunston every day :( 

• 2 weeks later...

It annoys me when it shows you 400 yds to merge in a single lane most people Que. proper then idiots fly by which causes traffic chaos

It gets me so angry I just pull out so they can't get by I luv it when they start peeping there horns no consideration at all

• 3 weeks later...

Brillo,lights at the Welwyn Bridge only came off,recently,to allow a diversion route while a section of the A1147 was being resurfaced,under the railway bridge.

The minute the works were completed,on the A1147,the lights were re-sited,again,for weeks,and weeks....still no work being done....no...not at night-time either,cos I walk my dog over at sometimes two,and three o clock in the morning!

I shone my high -intensity cree-led torch all around,and underneath,and no sign even of any prep. work,no materials lying around...nothing![waiting till April Budget money maybe eh..?!!]

Malcolm,any ideas wat's gaan on?

Aa was thinking maybe a safety issue with the bridge,that naebody's tellin' us aboot,like ease thi load on it wi traffic control lights.

Never heard of Les G.

Thanks Adam!

• 1 year later...

Darn, did I forget to post an update on this!

It's a year later - and afaik we still have lights.

The official response from NCC is that the lights are in place so the children from guidepost can walk to Bedlington schools safely. Of course had they (NCC) not closed schools all over Northumberland there wouldn't be a problem..

More 'common sense' from NCC it seems!

road works ? ooo does that include the dualling of the A1? don't be silly -- does it mean 4 sets of resurfacing on the same stretch of A1in 2 years? does it mean there is an integrated road plan for the WHOLE county -- don't be daft .. but we have a road that goes from nowhere to nowhere that will not used -- damn - silly me - of course it will -- as soon as the county hall is moved and a building that isn't fit for purpose as a county hall is deemed fit for purpose as a school? still puzzled about that one... and it means that the school grounds can be sold off for housing - with ..... ooo a magical transport link right next door and of course we do not need the whole messed about with actual care for the mental health issues or those old folk that get in the way with their totally unnecessary requirements for care NCC -- NO COMMON  Sense (ok I stretched that one)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does NCC think that kids walk from Guidepost to Bedlington Station through Stakeford... a distance of a few miles...?!!

The kids these days winna waak anywhere at aal except from Daddy's..[or Mummy's!]POSER JEEPS,which are usually parked on top of sacrosanct zig zag lines at pedestrian crossings next to the school gates...as AT GUIDE-POST school!![AND the schools at Bedlington top-end creating mayhem wi traffic!]

It's been a canny lang trial for traffic lights,half of Bedlingtonshire already has the new Cree-Led lamposts and lights erected and operating,with the control lights they already have!!....and THAT'S a massive project,which a must admit,the organisers of the project deserve a pat on thi back for a change,cos mind,..tha's sum streetlights in sum queer aakward places,like wat they've just done in the last few days at Moorland Avenue junction at Bedlington Station,and the ones doon from the said Welwyn Bridge at Red Raa,doon ti the traffic island joining the A1147.

Them lads on the job are sumtimes risking tha lives just being there daeing tha job,wi sum of thi idiots hareing aroond the roads nooadays!

Another pat for NCC,me Son reported the 30mph signs at Bomarsund as having failed illumination at night.

Two days later they were lit when a tuk LBJ oot at neet.

A telt me Son that them signs haven't been lit since LBJ and him came to live wi us......nearly six years ago!!

Mebbe aal the NCC engineers ownly work backshift!!

We have an aad static van up thi country,not far cos me Wife canna travel very far,but it's nice and quiet,owa-lukkin' Cragside.

Thi back roads are lethal.

When NCC got funding ti repair aal thi pot-holes....this is what they invested in........[LBJ canna resist gettin' in on thi act!!]

At thi time,it was highly efficient,daeing loads of lang road stretches at a time,great!....the first winter came, and aal the heavy farm traffic,bin wagons,JCB'S etc,and

noo it's slowly getting back ti wat it was!!.....thi result of patching up instead of proper re-surfacing!

NOO!...aav noticed that the entrances and BACK LANE,to Milburn Terrace,in Bomarsund ,Stakeford,opposite ti where Liddel's Garage used ti be,THEY aren't breaking up.......no!.....cos the County Councillor who lives in that street had the whole monty....road-planers,doon ti hard rock almost,a complete convoy of motorway road surfacing crews with every machine required,even down to the roadsweeper vehicle,and illuminated 20mph restriction,no entry,and local access only...road signs,topped off with highly visible road markings through-out!!....in a back lane!!!!..it's like legoland when you go doon there noo.

The other residents asked for an explanation as to why this was done,when they had pot-holed streets full of ponds aal the way down.....response was to spray tar and surface chippings down West Terrace where I used to live,meanwhile I'm waiting for a very serious accident to happen doon Barrington road...wi aal the heavy goods vehicles,loaded with concrete beams,and other heavy loads,stream in and out of the industrial estate constantly,breaking the road up all the time.

Mind,whoever gave the go-ahead to build an industrial estate there to start with,where the access road was laid down for horse and cart transport..........begs belief!

Rant over!

IMGP8552.JPG

IMGP8555.JPG

IMGP8565.JPG

Heh heh!!

A posted this last neet,[or early this morning..!],and hadn't seen last weeks Leader,so a glances through it thi day ......and wat dae a see?

Ye'd think for a second that NCC had stolen one of me pics!!

Thi guys risk a slap on the kuckles from H&S ......nae safety hard hats on!!

Thi article in the Leader doesn't tell you how the potholes are getting back to wat they were as every day gaans by!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 21:08, Tonyp said:

It annoys me when it shows you 400 yds to merge in a single lane most people Que. proper then idiots fly by which causes traffic chaos

It gets me so angry I just pull out so they can't get by I luv it when they start peeping there horns no consideration at all

merge in turn is the quickest way......and the recommended way as per highway code.....nothing worse than lorry or car pulling out to slow/stop traffic  thinking they are doing the right thing

12 hours ago, rosco said:

merge in turn is the quickest way......and the recommended way as per highway code.....nothing worse than lorry or car pulling out to slow/stop traffic  thinking they are doing the right thing

I agree - use both lanes and then merge as the road narrows. Use the outside lane and stop cursing those that follow the highway code. The world will merge into a better place - EU says so! 

• 2 weeks later...

Heh heh!!FINALLY.....FINALLY!.....the Welwyn bridge is closed for traffic,cos they are .....FINALLY....re-surfacing the dirt track road from the bridge to the

Station![mind,it's only for a few weeks cos thi water board,or gas,or BT,or sum bugga else will come along and decide a trench needs digging to lay pipes or cables.....

....broadband.....fibre-optic cables.........heh heh!!!!]

That stretch has been deadly for bikers for years noo,and it griped me when a full road crew,with planer....etc,re-made the road....in the back lane....at Milburn Terrace

complete with signs,restrictions,road markings,etc......a back lane!!!!.....mind,a very senior NCC official happens to live there,nowt personal against the fella,just seems a bit........whey,ti me,the main roads should take priority owa a back lane!!

Loathe....Barrington road also a dirt track fast becoming!!....

Nae money for that...it's aal gaan ti Ashington!!!...[see this weeks leader!]

Whey it seems up ti noo aa got it wrang again!!....tha NOT deaing thi dirt track alang ti thi Station,[but they might eventually!],tha daeing VERY essential repair

work on thi Welwyn bridge itself.

LIKE.. the fact that it's actually being done,cos a waaked LBJ alang there last neet,at midneet as usual,[!],and a saw where the road AND the concrete base which holds the fencing,is collapsing,and being undermined by heavy rainwater.

If it had been left much langer,one day we wud see a bus or other heavy vehicle parked doon aside the Welwyn buildings,lying upside doon!

Noo aav waaked alang that road many a thoosand times,but nivvor on the east side where tha's nae footpath,so yi dinna see thi damage from the proper footpath

and yi dinna see it from thi car as yi drive owa thi bridge,cos yi hae ti waatch wheor ya gaan......!

Just hope after thi bridge is fixed,that they continue alang thi road ti thi Station,and gie us a gud road alang theor.

On 25/11/2014 at 00:23, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Brillo,lights at the Welwyn Bridge only came off,recently,to allow a diversion route while a section of the A1147 was being resurfaced,under the railway bridge.

The minute the works were completed,on the A1147,the lights were re-sited,again,for weeks,and weeks....still no work being done....no...not at night-time either,cos I walk my dog over at sometimes two,and three o clock in the morning!

I shone my high -intensity cree-led torch all around,and underneath,and no sign even of any prep. work,no materials lying around...nothing![waiting till April Budget money maybe eh..?!!]

Malcolm,any ideas wat's gaan on?

A think it musta been a foggy neet,and aav been dog.....[!]....tired not ti hae seen this damage,unless it's just started ti break up recently,but ti be honest,the breaks in the aad concrete dinna luk like recent breaks,mebbe they were cracks and mebbe a heavy vehicle has clipped the fence and pushed it owa,which would be consistent wi thi type of collapse that it's aal displaying!

Nivvor mind,nae mair rabbitin' as lang as it does get fixed....nice one Mr Gilbert,whoever yi are!!

LOATHE.....LOATHE....LOATHE......! That aal thi roads up where me caravan is,as shown on me pics of the "Jet-Patcher" machine above,are a million times worse noo than wat they were when this machine clagged tarry toot inti thi pot-holes,aboot three years ago!

Thi roads are so bad that me car grounds in places,and yi can hear aaful crunching underneath even as yi gaan deed slow,and weave from side ti side ti miss as many holes as yi can,but it's an impossibility ti miss aal of thim.

A had brokken coil-springs on me last car,[thi one that got written off by thi hit and run bitch last year],and aav noo got a broken one on this car,which is gaana gaan in next week for service repair and Mot.

A wonder if a send the bill in ti NCC,will they pay it?!!!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now