Bedlington Station From The Air

I remember someone (Tonyg!) posting this aerial photo from the britainfromabove.org.uk site and adding a comment something like - 'fantastic photo - I didn't know some of these streets ever existed'.

Managed to find out some of the names and have added them to a copy, as allowed by English Heritage, off the britainfromabove site:-

post-3031-0-60198900-1411415360_thumb.jp

Can't find the original post.

Amazing!  Some really useful work there. It took me a few seconds to get orientated, but we are looking in a North Westerly direction from above the Jubilee Terrace / Palace Road area.

All we need now is for someone with a decent drone to take a contemporary shot to superimpose.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eggy!

There was a Stone Row at Barrington pit village,which isn't mentioned,a divvent knaa where it was,in relation ti thi rest,and thi ownly reason that a knaa,is cos me big marra lived  in No 3 [?],born there,and is noo 72 years aad!

Alan Dixon will put me right on that one,hopefully.

Hi Eggy!

There was a Stone Row at Barrington pit village,which isn't mentioned,a divvent knaa where it was,in relation ti thi rest,and thi ownly reason that a knaa,is cos me big marra lived  in No 3 [?],born there,and is noo 72 years aad!

Alan Dixon will put me right on that one,hopefully.

Will have to try and check that one out.  I knew most of the street names but was unsure of their actual location. I think I used the History Hollow topic Barrington :- 

http://www.bedlington.co.uk/community/topic/654-barrington/page-2?hl=barrington#entry34128 using Barton Raffies tagged photos, and the  http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ to place all the streets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing!  Some really useful work there. It took me a few seconds to get orientated, but we are looking in a North Westerly direction from above the Jubilee Terrace / Palace Road area.

All we need now is for someone with a decent drone to take a contemporary shot to superimpose.  :)

Threegee maybe you can get an image via google map just a thought.

This is what we need :-

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

Thought I had added the instructions.

Using 'mouse' 'LEFT CLICK .. HOLD IT AND DRAG YOUR MOUSE GENTLY FROM LEFT TO RIGHT ON THE ORIGINAL PHOTOS....

AND IT WILL BECOME THE EXACT SAME LOCATION TODAY .... DRAG IT BACK OVER AND YOU ARE IN 1944 AGAIN.'

• 2 weeks later...

The question  marks above North Row were what we called "the fitting shops",which comprised Electrical,Mechanical,Blacksmiths,Joiner's,Saddler's,in the days when all the pit ponies "gears"..[harness's,collars,bridles,etc]..were made on site-no contractors in them days!

You can see the Blacksmith's forge flues in a row,just to the right of the higher buildings which are arrowed.

Please correct me if I am wrong,but I worked there for six years,and had to go over to the "shops",regularly, to take my  bags of blunt drilling bits,and

coalcutter picks to the Blacksmiths shop,to be sharpened.

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now