Selling Up And Getting Out

tomtom

By the way anybody can be great at what they do..but can be **** at teaching to do that you have to be special to get kids attention &

Teach you should go into a class where the kids don't want to be there..when I went to school some classes you wouldn't dare move

Even if you weren't interested now they do what they want that's got to be some blame of the parents

Lot of the problem is lack of discipline. Good teachers are leaving, as there are so many untuly kids left to run amock. A teacher does so much as raising their voice to try to control a situation and find themselves 'investigated'.

Parents too have been afraid to discipline their children, Kids often don't even know right from wrong these days. Those kids grow up, find that they don't fit in in the real working world and become depressed at their own situation.

Some of the kids brought up under the above method are now parents themselves and have never known a world where kids behave, and have NO idea how to bring kids up properly themselves. Yeah it can be tough growing up, but all this softly softly approach is destroying lives.

"Lot of the problem is lack of discipline."

Couldn't agree more. This is going to sound like an overtly sexist comment, and in general it is, but I reckon a distinct lack of male teachers these days has a lot to do with this.

On the Jobcentre point, I had the pleasure of signing on for a while. In my initial assessment I was asked if there were any jobs I could specifically not do, and why: 'those where you spend all the time on a telephone' I replied 'because I'm  largely deaf'.

Great, said the kid, let's have a look; oh, this looks perfect for you, it's in a call centre.......

Mercuryg what do you think of this one of union colleagues is totally blind,went for his disability assessments,the guy told him to look

Forward his reply was I don't know how to look forward as he was born blind,how stupid can people be.Steve said we were moving

Away from the topic he is probably right I was just trying to say if you get a good education the world can be your oyster.If you stay at

Home or move away it's up to you,the world is a small place & bedlington will always be there..as I said I've been away 20+years

Returning once but I'm starting to get a buzz about returning on Sunday even if it is for one day...

I've said it before here and I'll say it again.  I blame Esther Rantzen for the lack of discipline in the homes and in schools.  Before she setup Childline parents and teachers could discipline brats without the threat of being reported by the brats.  Adults are now scared of chastising their charges and the kids know that the adults are scared.

Lets not get sidetracked by the kiddy-fiddling issue ... this is about basic manners!

On the subjectt of education surely we all know someone who is brilliant but has not passed exams.

Practical skills should be celebrated !

Everyone is different.

The question is 'How many Head boys or Head Girls become Buisness man/woman of the year / decade'

Divergent or convergant thinking!

In London they do alternative education I.e engineering etc but there not suitable for a school environment, but they still have to do

The core subjects maths & English usually at a college,on the coming home subject I will see my brother book into the hotel

And head for the northern club in ashington lots of mates there

As I say if you want to travel qualifacation are better than none I do agree with you that you don't need them but having qualifications

Show a future employer that you can complete something..That you must agree,as I've said I'm working class but I do know

Education is the best way forward & that's a fact

There are people with Special Needs who cannot pass exams but have skills that cannot be measured in this way.

GCHQ is even thinking of employing people who are Dyslexic.

Education is valuable but the ability to pass an exam often is not the full or accurate picture.

Enjoy your trip home Tonyp.

My missus teaches people with special needs I think your missing the point big time by the way people with special needs can get qualifacations one of my friends has dyslexia & she got a BSc with honours in chemistry it's up to an individual with the right teaching

What they can achieve maybe you should meet my missus & she can tell you about alternative education I don't by what your rubbishing on about...

I'm just saying education opens doors a lot quicker than if you haven't got one it's not about escaping I think I told you

My reasons for leaving ...As I said I do like bedlington & I could come back if I wanted to with out any financial worries

But I am happy & settled where I am,all I was saying its best to encourage your kids to do the work if there capable...

It is not all about you Tonyp.

I am loyal to Bedlington but I have not always lived in the town.

I do not disagree with anything that has been said on this thread.

Subjective viewpoints are fine.

On the subject of missing the point and needing to talk to your missus, now that would be interesting.

You appear to say you don't know what I am rubbishing on about'

Your text does not read well.

I have an opinion surely you can understand that fact without the derogatory comment or comments.

Education is an essential part of everyone's life.

We all have skills that are useful to society.

I agree with everything you said about education in this country Mercuryg, and the thing that seems to stick out a mile is the fact that some school leavers are not cut out for a university education. They are far from the standard of 30-40 years ago which would increase a person's chance of achieving success in a career relating to the degree they took. It seems that a lot of school leavers, and indeed mature students, think that....Oh I'll nip off to university, have a jolly old time and come out at the other end with a degree. and some of these degrees are absolutely useless to them.

This all seems such a waste of time and money when they could have taken a vocational course, and got a perfectly good trade out of it. They would also be much more employable, and useful to our country than a downbeat, unemployed ex-student, busking in Northumberland Street, and living on benefits.

I may sound like I am anti university types but I am not, and I speak from experience. My own son left school to take a degree at Ashington Technical College (as it was then). After a few months I could tell he was not enjoying it (bearing in mind that he was a computer whizzkid), I asked him what was wrong, and he told me that he was not happy with the sociology course he had opted for. Believe me, I was so happy to hear this, so I asked him what he thought was his best subject, what was he really good at. You guessed it. computers. to cut a long story short, he switched and went to Sunderland Uni on an IT course. Now he works for an International company that takes him all over the world.

The point I am trying to make, is that a lot of the talent that the youth of our country possess is being wasted in their futile quest for a degree. Or even just to be able to say...........'I went to university'. As if it was some kind of badge that they have to wear,

So, Mercuryg, I agree with everything you said about education. You are obviously an educated man, and there are always going to be people who are too quick to disagree with you because they just don't get what you are saying.

"a lot of the talent that the youth of our country possess is being wasted in their futile quest for a degree."

Willy J I believe you are absolutely right. It's not for everyone. (It wasn't for me!)

"a lot of the talent that the youth of our country possess is being wasted in their futile quest for a degree."

Willy J I believe you are absolutely right. It's not for everyone. (It wasn't for me!)

Also agree, I come across people weekly in my own line of work they've 'recently' gotten a degree - and to be honest, their lack of skill is astonishing. I don't think this was the case 15-20 years ago, but then I'm not old enough to know :P

Having qualifications can maybe help you get an interview (sometimes even a career), but in reality at present, REAL knowledge and ability far outweigh the 'paper' and is another thing entirely.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now