Merlins! 8 Of Them!

Foxy, I think Adam may have it, Bristol Bombay 1939-1944 but I'm still looking, It may be a Handley Page 54 Harrow, 1937-1945, the nose is "more" correct but the wheel spats are not correct! the small windows are correct, I'm leaning towards the Harrow!

Foxy, I think Adam may have it, Bristol Bombay 1939-1944 but I'm still looking, It may be a Handley Page 54 Harrow, 1937-1945, the nose is "more" correct but the wheel spats are not correct! the small windows are correct, I'm leaning towards the Harrow!

[/quote

I can only find the small windows bellow the cockpit right hand side on the Harrow, I still think the nose appears Harrow but can't explain missing wheel spats!

post-119-0-86719400-1418092139_thumb.jpgpost-119-0-39032700-1418092121_thumb.jpgpost-119-0-66123900-1418092159_thumb.jpg

I can only find the small windows bellow the cockpit right hand side on the Harrow, I still think the nose appears Harrow but can't explain missing wheel spats!

attachicon.gifpost-2205-0-79010000-1417946942.jpgattachicon.gifhp_54_harrow-mk_ii_148.jpgattachicon.gifAircraft_Handley_Page_Harrow_MK2.jpg

The wheel spats may have been added later Vic, maybe to protect the wheels against fighter attacks and Flak.

It is indeed a Handley Page Harrow Mk 11 bearing the serial number K6992 (the 92 of this number is clearly visible under the wing on the negative)

The information I offer is from the book British Military Aircraft Serials. The configuration of the perspex nose is also typical of the Mk 11.

It is indeed a Handley Page Harrow Mk 11 bearing the serial number K6992 (the 92 of this number is clearly visible under the wing on the negative)

The information I offer is from the book British Military Aircraft Serials. The configuration of the perspex nose is also typical of the Mk 11.

Must be one thick Book then tomtom, :o quite a few serial numbers back in them days. 

Maggs - many here are of the generation brought-up on making Airfix models of WW2 planes and ships so know quite a bit about what these things looked like.  I fondly remember spending my pocket money in a model shop in Blyth (I think it was on Thoroton St) buying these things.  Our comics were also full of stories of daring do in the war and much of the telly was showing 1950 war films.

Carving a balsa wood DH Vampire was my first (8 years old) then came Airfix, KeilKraft and glow plug engines, JetX engines, control line and gliders (couldn't afford radio control)

Ashington ATC 1110 sq. Then came the real thing the R.A.F. (15 year old)

Symptoms The Model Shop was at the bottom of Bowes St (later I lived at the top of Bowes St) and Biggles books were my favourites!

"I'm bored†is a new word that came out with electronics!

Vic, I've just checked Multimap's birds eye view and I'm sure the shop must have been on the corner of Bowes and Thoroton.  I also went through the balsa model making phase ... my first was a Stuka but for some reason on of its wings had a slight warp to it, maybe I'd put too much tension on the structure before applying the dope.

Still has nothing on the Vulcan.

Well, no, nothing does Adam. She is the most glorious aircraft of all time. Fortunately, stories of XH558 being grounded for good from now seem to be a little wide of the mark. The latest is she WILL be flying in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now