Merlins! 8 Of Them!

Also, found this among the trees in the front garden, all alone next to a now non-existent exit driveway (another relic from the war); I love it, and would gladly bring it home and put it in my house!

post-1298-0-86483300-1425457266_thumb.jp

closer to home - the air museum outside of Carlisle is worth a visit - real nice folk - they recently opened up for a private visit for some scouts from the region and they all got to clamber in the planes and had free run of the place -- magic moments for them!! - not RAF but navy -- lol been to look at a 15" naval shell tonight that was dug up - glad it didn't drop on my foot!!

there is a decent RAF site on tinternet - I got some very relevant information from the about some spent casings I keep turning up on the Goswick ranges - they also had the Hartford and Cramlington sites in the wrong place (as in the Hartford camp and the airfield at Cramlington - I can still recall the sheds there and the airship shed at Nelson Village0 

• 1 month later...

"Scramble. Scramble. Scramble. Bandits Jocko angels one five"

Sismerc's 'few' were stood down and their Jocko wing launched to see off Ivan's raid over the allied convoy north of Chillyjockoland. Her Morse message to merc was, "I am not allowed to say how many planes joined the raid, but I couldn't count them all out and I couldn't count them all back as I wasn't up in Jockoland."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32308307

• 2 months later...

merc, if you are at your sisters on 12th July, there is a classic car meet at East Kirkby. They fire up "Just Jane" at this meet, this together with loads of classic cars is a good day out. I myself will be there with one of my classics. 

merc, if you are at your sisters on 12th July, there is a classic car meet at East Kirkby. They fire up "Just Jane" at this meet, this together with loads of classic cars is a good day out. I myself will be there with one of my classics. 

Orloff, you have piqued my interest there with my two favourite things - classic cars and classic aircraft! I do need to make a visit (to pick up a lizard of all things!) so may pencil it in for that weekend. May I ask what classics you own? Regards.

** edit - and if you let me know which you will be taking with you I can track you down!

Edited by mercuryg

Wow! Fabulous cars! Just before I learned to drive my mother had, I think, an a30 van. I might be wrong but I think not. I learned in her next car. A morris minor. Few of my generation learned with double declutching in the routine.

Merc - old habits die hard, I still double de-clutch in MrsSyms jalopy* (it's not old - just a manual) when approaching a junction/roundabout at speed ... can't in my car 'cos it's an auto.  My Mum had an A40 ... I came across one a couple of weeks ago parked in a greenhouse at a garden nursery MrsSym took me to;  it was in showroom condition.  It was an exact colour match to my Mum's - pale blue - and when I looked inside it was like being transported back in time.  It was shocking to see just how small a vehicle it was in comparison to modern motors (even the small ones) ... sometimes she used to collect us and our mates from school and cram us all in - she'd get lifted by the Peelers these days for overloading.  My first car (my Dad got it for me at the Lion Garage on Front St in 1967ish) was an old Ford Popular 100e with a 3 speed crash gearbox ... I learnt to drive in it. I suppose these motors would be worth a bob or two these days.

*I know I don't need to do this but it seems to be a natural reflex.

Edited by Symptoms

"Ford Popular 100e..."

Great cars! Proper cars those were; these days there's so much electronic stuff that so much can go wrong. I remember pretty much renewing everything on one of my Mini's bit by bit, it was so simple even a mechanical ignoramus like me could do it.Nowmy mother drives a Nissan Micra that is utterly complex!

Sadly Orloff I can't be in Lincolnshire this weekend; I really want to go but can't make it, and am disappointed! I hope you enjoy, take some pictures for us!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If anything has a value, sentimental or monetary, keep the ankle biters well clear ... you know they just trash it.  Let them look and touch under your supervision whilst regaling them with the family/items history.  They'll thank you (when you're gone) when they tell the tales to their nippers.  I'm now thankful I listened when all the wrinklies in my family told their tales;  there's always a need for a  repository of oral history in a family, so start them young.

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now