Robson Family

Jcw

Hi there,

I'm not a Bedlington resident but I'm trying to trace some lost lost family members who I believe lived here, and I'm wondering if anyone knew them.

I'm looking for an Anthea Robson, who would be around 60 years old now. Daughter of James Robson and Margaret P Robson (nee Westhead) who died in 1999. I have been told by another relative that they lived in Bedlington Station, and am hoping this is the right place. Of course Anthea may have married and may not live there now, and I realise this is a long shot but I thought I'd try it!

Many thanks,

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

I do not know Anthea although I think she may have married and now lives in the Blyth area with her family.

I do not think it would be appropriate to post details on the forum however if you could send me a message I may be able to assist.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Joanne,maybe a different family,but a Father and adult Son lived two doors away from my family,at Hollymount square,in the early to mid-fifties.

They both had the nickname of "Pop" Robson.

The Father used to drive a massive old 1940's Wolseley car,with the old-fashioned running boards,and huge Lucas "King of the road" headlights mounted on the front wings...green,if I remember correctly.

This was in the days when your milk,groceries,ice-cream,rag and bone men,and everything else,was horse and cart driven...so this car really stood out in our street.

Did you have other relatives who might have been driving a car like this?

Hope this is of some use,if only to eliminate!

Hi Joanne,maybe a different family,but a Father and adult Son lived two doors away from my family,at Hollymount square,in the early to mid-fifties.

They both had the nickname of "Pop" Robson.

The Father used to drive a massive old 1940's Wolseley car,with the old-fashioned running boards,and huge Lucas "King of the road" headlights mounted on the front wings...green,if I remember correctly.

This was in the days when your milk,groceries,ice-cream,rag and bone men,and everything else,was horse and cart driven...so this car really stood out in our street.

Did you have other relatives who might have been driving a car like this?

Hope this is of some use,if only to eliminate!

Are we talking 'STOP SHOP with POP'?

• 2 months later...

Spot on Keith!

The Clouson family lived around the corner from my Family ,in Hollymount Square,from Hollymount being built,in approx 1948-ish...

Pop Clouson had the travelling shop,canna remember if he started with horse and cart,like everybody else,mind.

Then later on,he had the shop at Allgood Terrace.[from the mid-1950's-on].

If "young" Pop is still with us,and he comes on here,he might confirm the age-old story that was passed on to successive generations attending the Whitley Memorial School.

That story related how old Mrs Molden was reprimanding Pop,[who was a very big lad,aged nearly fifteen years..],and he got out of his school desk,lifted Mrs Molden up in the air,[shouting and bawling going on between them],and dumped her into the large waste-paper basket in the corner of the classroom.!

The baskets used,in those days, stood about three or four feet tall and were narrow at the base,and wider at the top,like a giant flower vase.

Pop had to go to see aad Nicky,the Headmaster tyrant,to have both hands thrashed with the cane ..."which is really going to hurt..."

Mr Dodds and other teachers had to come to her rescue,and get her out of the basket,and of course,the whole class found it hilarious,because,in those days of Victorian bringings-up,and teaching methods,behaviour like this was unheard of![ you got thrashed for just talking in class!]

I think,in those days,the nickname of "Pop" was given to any lad with the Robson surname,because of association with that of the soft drinks manufacturers in Morpeth,bearing the same name.

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now