Bugs

Tonyp

Haven't eaten any in Brisbane but had plenty of them during my visits to China. The large ones (5-6 cm) are a bit like pork scratchings in texture and they taste of whatever oil they've been fried in or whatever sauce you dip them in. Be sure to ask for the ones with 'eggs'. Lovely and gooey in the middle with a salty taste. The large Grasshoppers are mostly 'shell' and in China you're only meant to eat the thighs (not  a great deal of meat on them). I don't know how they eat them in Brisbane. The big maggoty things werent my cup of tea.  The small bugs (1-2 cm) - the type you buy a big bag of on street corners have no taste either. It's just like eating a bag of 'scranchuns from the chip-shop.

Hi Tony P

Bugs are delicious also known as Morton Bay bugs they are similar in texture and taste to a Lobster

some times they are boiled until cooked some people do them in a seafood sauce but any way way you

will like them i am sure Brisbane is nice and Scarbourgh is a nice suburb.

Too late Brett, I've already eaten tons of it! Deep fried food is the only way to go with chinese street food as the high temperatur kills most things. Now you come to mention it the oil is Always very spicey. I thought it was flavours from the food they'd cooked previously but it could well have been there to disguise the gutter oil! Anyhow, I survived with no ill effects.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now