More Ancestors

ckegeneo

I, also, am looking for information about my ancestors. My great-grandfather, Henry "Harry" Gardner was born in Camboise on November 10, 1849. He came to the US sometime before the 1881 census because his wife, Alice Cole Gardner, is listed as head of the household in Bedlington. Shortly after that, she and their 5 children sailed to the United States. I am looking for any information on Henry and/or Alice. Alice's father was Thomas Cole and her mother is listed as Elizabeth.

Thank you

Karin (AKA ckegeneo)

• 1 month later...

This is an update to my last post.

I am looking for information on my g-grandfather, Henry “Harry” Gardner – said to be born November 10, 1849 in Camboise England. He married Alice Cole September (or August) 8, 1871 in Morpeth. He was a coal miner and they moved to Pennsylvania USA around 1881. The story goes that they moved because Alice couldn’t stand to see her 5 year old son, Harry, leaving for the mines while it was still dark dragging a lunch bucket that was as tall as he was. When they got to Pennsylvania, they only had the knowledge of one kind of trade – so they worked as coal miners!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karin Myers Tillotson

ckegeneo@hotmail.com

The only association of the name I can recall is that the stone building (now flats) just before the easterly entrance to Hollymount Square was originally "The Gardner's Arms" public house.

I know this because I've seen the title deeds to the property, though I'm no longer sure about the precise spelling.

The only association of the name I can recall is that the stone building (now flats) just before the easterly entrance to Hollymount Square was originally "The Gardner's Arms" public house.

The Gardeners Arms is now the vets at 74 Front St. E. I believe the original windows were removed to the Morpeth branch.

The Gardeners Arms is now the vets at 74 Front St. E. I believe the original windows were removed to the Morpeth branch.

Yes, you may be right on that one, I could well have been thinking of the (much lesser known) Oddfellows Arms.

But, hasn't that vets now closed down too? I remember a closure notice on the door.

• 3 weeks later...

is that the one that used to have saw dust on the floor?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now