Disappointed

After all of the money spent to renovate the shop fronts, in Bedlington, it's disappointing to see a new occupant, relocated florist, painting over the heritage paintwork with white paint, surely this shouldn't be allowed with the conservation area.

Edited by Brett
I moved this topic from the Introduction forum as it is better suited to a discussion sub-forum

Welcome to the Site Bayardm.
The shop front that the florists is now in was never done under the THI, also the heritage paintwork i am not sure about it.

The earliest I have seen of a photo of the shop is when it was W. Wards photo shop and it was white in the photo, then blue, then in recent years it was brown.

Pleased to hear it! I was well impressed with how Front Street looked during my "flying" visit in December. It had a nice homogenous feel to it with so many shop-fronts in the same style, matching lamp- and signposts and even matching plant containers! I'd love to see it now when Malcolm's got his hanging baskets up so get some photos up here please.

While on the subject of Front Street, I noticed some "Heritage Trail" signs on the walls of some Buildings (Excellent initiative!! We should be proud of our heritage and  Bedlington's got a great deal to offer). However, I only came across these 'by accident' as it were. Where do I find more information next time I'm in Bedlington - hoping to get in a longer visit next year when I finally shut up shop and become an OAP. Is there a brochure of some kind that outlines the trail, and if so where would I get one?

I think there is a worse example of a shop standing out from the rest in Watson's Newsagent, now horribly sponsored by The Sun.....

Thanks Malcolm!  That's great! However, I have to ask why are these leaflets tucked away in the Council Offices? It's not always open and maybe there aren't many who know about the leaflets or their whereabouts. Get them onto the counters in shops, cafes and pubs where they will be more easily accessible.

I take it you haven't checked out the Development Trust web site then Canny lass.

Take a look at this and note the date!

I agree they are useless bits of paper until we start promoting them properly and having boxes locked up in the council cupboard……!!!!! We could (and should) have been handing them, out last Saturday!

Couldn't find any date but I know I've seen this earlier - much earlier, Malcolm. My Point about distribution in pubs, cafes and shops was more related to the need to attract people from outside of Bedlington. I mean, people visiting or just passing through  don't pop into the council offices do they - but they probably have a pint, a lunch or a packet of sweets etc. If they can also pick up a broschure then they know that it's worth coming back to the town with the family.

Last time this was printed I had them in all the Tourist information centers across the county!

Not only those but all Development Trust run buildings at least had a few. (Northumberland has more Development Trusts than another other county with most managing old community buildings!)

Exactly your point we need them out across the globe not really distributed next door.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Eggy they have, You can see the old shop front down the alleyway in the picture I posted.

Not sure why.

Definitely looks better than before when it had those metal cages up at the window. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now