Money For The Asking!

How about ringing Sky up and telling them you want to cancel the contract?  You don't?  Well that's not really important; the fact that you are ringing at all could be all it takes to collect a massive saving!  82% of the people who've tried haggling with Sky report real savings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10875750/Martin-Lewis-My-10-tips-for-haggling-with-call-centres.html

Do a bit of homework before you ring not just Sky but other major suppliers, and don't forget to report your results back here for others to benefit.  Minimising the excess profits that flow out of our Town indirectly benefits everyone in it, and when that money goes to faceless foreign corporations it doesn't even benefit our Country.

Provider - Success rateAA (407 responses) - 90pcTalkTalk (198 responses) - 82pcSky (915 responses) - 82pcRAC (100 responses) - 78pcAdmiral (163 responses) - 78pcAviva (123 responses) - 74pcVirgin Mobile (113 responses) - 73pcVirgin Media (395 responses) - 73pcDirect Line (127 responses) - 70pcEE (156 responses) - 67pc 

It all sounds too good, and unfortunately I have to say that my family have had no success with Sky on this subject. Do your research and also be prepared to back down (at the last resort) before any unfortunate action taken. One daughter tried it and the Sky operator was so efficient that their Sky contract was cancelled whilst they were chatting and no deal was offered.

One friend rang up to cancel his Sky Sports subscription when the 2010-11 season ended, with the intention of restarting it when the new season started, and they offered him the sports for £1 a month during June, July AND August then back to normal in September.

Personally I have had much better success with insurance.

Building and Content insurance I have normally managed (since retiring and having more free time) to keep the price at the 'Introductory' price by obtaining quotes from On-line sites ( TSB, Aviva, Direct Line, RAC etc.)  and informing my current providers that I am going to switch to a new provider as they are £80-£100 cheaper. Then they give me the introductory price for another year AND the policy remains the same. No hike up of excess etc.

However this year I had to switch as they were not prepared to meet the competition price. As I had already done the spade-work, on-line, just had to accept the quote from the alternative supplier.

NB. Not true figures but proportionately correct. One on-line offer from Lloyds TSB was say £250 for Building & Content. Rang my local branch in Bedlington as I thought I would get the staff, who had helped me in the past with other financial matters, a sales bonus. The local branches cheapest offer, as they have to act independently from the world-wide on-line offers, was £650!! I found it hard to believe that the local branch could not use it's 'big brother's' financial clout.

So in this matter you can only support your local branch if you pay over the odds. I assume this will eventually lead to more local branches closing. I would love to support them (been with TSB since my first monthly wages were paid into them in 1969) for a small price but not £400s worth.

I did this recently when moving.

Bill was circa £100 every month with Fibre broadband, phone package and line rental and Sky TV with sports packages.

Called them and told them I wanted to keep the phone and broadband but wanted to cancel the entire TV package as I was sick of paying nearly a hundred quid a month and not really having a chance to watch anything.

They offered me 10% off to which I replied no, they then said that they would speak to there boss.....came back and said that they could offer me 25% off but that was it. I refused again.

I had no intention of bartering a deal with them at this point as I just didn't want the extra expense.

Got a call a day later offering me 50% off my TV package for 12 months with sports included.

Now my bills come in at £59.90 with the package:

Sky Talk Anytime (including 0845 numbers)

Sky Fibre 40/20

Sky TV - Entertainment Extra + Sky Sports (no HD bundle)

Pretty pleased and had no intention of bartering a deal but if I don't get it for the same after 12 months then I will cancel it completely. I can get enough content from iPlayer/Netflix to satisfy me, especially coupled with my ChromeCast so I can watch it on the TV without messing around with HDMI cables.

"ChromeCast"

What's one of these? Sounds interesting...

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

The new Amazon box looks a lot lot better - when it has UK availability.  Also search on Roku.  Sky is toast! :D

"Also search on Roku.  Sky is toast!"

Interesting; I'm assuming, however, that you still have to pay to access sky channels?

What has Sky got that you can't watch elsewhere and, as a whole, pay a lot less for?  Should I have said that subscription broadcasting is dead?  Sky is predicated on making you pay for 99.9% content you will never watch, at times that are rarely convenient.

"What has Sky got that you can't watch elsewhere"

Most of the live Formula One races, and I refuse to pay.

Good on you!  Screw Murdoch, and ickle Bernie too!  :D

20110430-rupert_murdoch_pirate.jpg?w=500

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

The new Amazon box looks a lot lot better - when it has UK availability. Also search on Roku. Sky is toast! :D

Because Amazon won't limit app store downloads only much like the Amazon app store which has irregular updates and requires you to have the app installed and often running as a service for downloaded software to function?

"ChromeCast"

What's one of these? Sounds interesting...

It's brilliant and I use it all of the time for streaming all sorts to the TV in the dining room.

Cheap and functional.

There's a massive range of apps developing support for the chromecast too.

Most recent which looks interesting is VLC are working on a plugin which trsnscodes on the fly from your local machine.

Because Amazon won't limit app store downloads only much like the Amazon app store which has irregular updates and requires you to have the app installed and often running as a service for downloaded software to function?

Because the hardware is much better - four times better!  And because I've now got a significant collection of initially promising media boxes where the hardware doesn't quite make it. ;)

Amazon will kill it for me if the software is too proprietary; that remains to be seen.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/10/streaming-set-top-box-showdown-chromecast-vs-amazon-fire-tv-vs-roku-3-vs-roku-streaming-stick/

I personally think that the Chromecast wins hands down with the ability to TabCast (cast web pages to your TV) and a good selection of the android apps that I use to have their apps whitelisted.

Saying this I haven't tried the others but for a device that not alot of people are sure they have a use for I'm pretty sure most people would rather not pay the £100 premium for the roku and be left wondering where they are going to put the box with their TV on the wall :P

• 6 years later...

Yeah, you are quite right. But if you want to help our country it is better to work normally and to pay taxes. But you really want to live well it is necessary to use some additional resources. I bet on sports mostly. In most of my winnings, I am grateful to https://777score.com. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't be able to make accurate predictions.

57 minutes ago, Bill Shiphr said:

Yeah, you are quite right. But if you want to help our country it is better to work normally and to pay taxes. But you really want to live well it is necessary to use some additional resources. I bet on sports mostly. In most of my winnings, I am grateful to https://777score.com. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't be able to make accurate predictions.

Anyone who wants to gamble, responsibly, I don't have a problem with but surely if everyone used that site and made accurate predictions then all the bookies would be losers🙃.

Surely to be a winner you have to have knowledge + a certain % of luck and enough money to withstand runs of bad luck.😰

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now