Bedlington Cricket Trophy

My brother says the local pubs and clubs played for a trophy at the Bedlington Cricket Club. (TonyP has also mentioned something similar in LIST OF PUBS AND CLUBS.)

But my bro can't remember what the trophy was called. Can anyone help?

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

Can't remember the trophy name I think it was a shield,just remember the good times,the funny thing was
Everybody thought they would have a walkover when they played the Sally Army but there cricket player was called Brian dixon
He opened the batting for Bedlington & I do believe he played for Northumberland ."by the way I do know you & your brother very well nice to see your doing O.K........ 
#49 icon_share.pngtonyg

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 PM

the cricket club trophy for the pubs and clubs was called the bedlington cricket club novices . as a mate of mine showed me a medal from it tonight.

Looks like we have all been there and done that. What a boring game when fielding. In the late 1960s I was forced to stand in the field for George Hemsted's Butcher's eleven. Brian Dixon, old school mate of mine, would also have been playing in the competition. Think it was one cricket club player per team and the rest were dragged in from anywhere.   

Back in the late 90's I ran the Bedlingtonshire Chamber of Trade and one of the fund-raisers for the Xmas Lights we did was a charity cricket match between us and the cricket club.

I even made a trophy ( I think we played for it twice?) called the Owzat Trophy.  

Course the Cricket Club won each time but a good day out and few bob for the Bedlington Xmas Lights.......(now I wonder whatever happened to them!!!!)    

Walked passed the Cricket Club opening tonight - at Hirst Head - and saw a kerb had been 'erected' where the entrance is. One assumes the Cricket Club is no longer in use now - or there is another entrance for vehicles. Can someone enlighten me.

Keith - all I know is that their website is still showing :-

View Playing Facility

Small local club with a large playing area.

Directions

From Bedlington Front Street turn left at the Northumberland Arms pub. Continue past the large carpark and turn right at the cross-roads. Go down Beech Grove and on down Hirst Head of which at the bottom, is a little dirt road, turn left here and you will find yourself in our cricket ground carpark

Contact Details

Name Bedlington Cricket Club Address Hirst Head ,
Bedlington County Northumberland Email Address hempy18@hotmail.com Phone 07973135226

Yeah, Eggy, I know that, but they were doing work there yesterday and it looked like they were putting a kerb in front of the dirt road - which made me think they were closing it off. I passed again tonight and the kerb is small and tarmacked (?). It doesn't make sense to me - what they have done - it just means any cars that go down there now have a kerb to negotiate!!! Cheers anyway.

Yeah, Eggy, I know that, but they were doing work there yesterday and it looked like they were putting a kerb in front of the dirt road - which made me think they were closing it off. I passed again tonight and the kerb is small and tarmacked (?). It doesn't make sense to me - what they have done - it just means any cars that go down there now have a kerb to negotiate!!! Cheers anyway.

This season they must be expecting a lot of bouncers!

Is this old Google street map view the bit they have repaired? 

post-3031-0-37828300-1401477024_thumb.jp

I wonder if it might have something to do with the Slayley Court entrance, because that is now the entrance for all the building traffic for the new houses down there?  I know its not the same entrance but being adjacent.........its not a leap to imagine someone working on the wrong bit of road!   

Also I heard the Cricket Club are looking to expand not close shop.  

• 7 months later...

I remember playing in the "Novices" during my teenage years and each team was only allowed 1 proper cricketer.

I'm fairly sure we entered a team from "The Terrier" in 1967 & 1968. Not sure about the years that followed, as I did my Dick Whittington thing in early 1969. I may have played in 1972, when I did my first Prodigal Son thing. 

The Salvation Army always had a strong team, but the team that was feared by most were the lads from Millfield, who's team name was "Thorntons Thumpers".

• 1 year later...

ha ha ha just remembered one game when Rockys team was short a player,and me and Paul "Tuc" Fennel were sitting outside the club when his brother Geordie said "which one of ye two is the best bowler" we both said Tuc straight away so he said "right you're opening the bowling for us" now tuc was about 15 or 16 and the opening bat for the other side played for Bedlington so as he was walking out his mates were shouting "mind the windows in my car".well the first ball whistled round his ears and the second one clean bowled him.when he came back he said "there's nowt rang wi them bowls lad" we used to play cricket on the bandstand,a strip of grass at the top of the "picca bank" with a bin lid stood up with a stick through the handle,came off there with many a circular bruise to show for being to slow with the bat,and that was off a tennis ball.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 19/05/2014 at 20:42, keith lockey said:

My brother says the local pubs and clubs played for a trophy at the Bedlington Cricket Club. (TonyP has also mentioned something similar in LIST OF PUBS AND CLUBS.)

But my bro can't remember what the trophy was called. Can anyone help?

We called it medals cup all the local clubs had a team  

• 1 year later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now