Application Forms - Signs Of The Times

I have just filled in an application form for a job interview tomorrow and was bemused by the questions that now appear.

MARITAL STATUS:

Single

Married

Co-Habiting

Divorced

Widowed

Civil Partnership.

Male

Female

Transgender

Prefer not to say!!!

I remember when 'turning the tranny on' meant listening to the radio - and being gay meant being happy.

ho hum.

I remember when 'turning the tranny on' meant listening to the radio - and being gay meant being happy.

ho hum.

Still does Keith, it's just your mind is in tune with the modern world and you should walk an interview! Unless you are Whinney the Pooh where Ho Hum =   a sigh, a constant source of disappointment, Ho Hum. 

Good Luck (whatever way you are playing it) for tomorrow.

I have never understood why your Marital Status plays a part in job applications weather your single, married, etc.

What has that got to do with your employer, also what if your engaged or in a relationship?

It played a great part as far as women go, Adam. Employing a married woman meant possibly having an employee who would be asking for maternity leave as soon as she was employed - or worse, taking time off to look after poorly Children who had to stay away from school for the day. One of the oddest questions I ever had in an interview was "what does your father do for a living?" RVI, Newcastle 1965. I never could work out how his job could affect my ability to study nursing. 

Last week I got asked... "What can you bring to this position if you get it?"

But what gets me is the Gender questions!! Why would you admit to transgenderism on your application form? What business is it to them? 

But one question I see is omitted is the religion question. That doesn't get asked very often. (And rightly so, I hasten to add)

I think application forms should be more basic and job orientated.

Having been involved with hiring for my Government department and several others many questions were not allowed, age, sex, and religion were a few, but reading resumes one could usually figure out most of the pertinent information. "name†"education†"hobbies†etc (but not always!) NONE of the questions you were asked Keith would have been permitted!

"What can you bring to the department†we found was a great way to allow the candidate to express some of their better qualities that often were not allowed to be asked! inter personal skills, computer skills, previous employment skills, they may not be key parts of the job applied for but could be a great asset.

I hope your interview went well Keith!

I was once successful in a job interview as a tradesman and added to the waiting list, but during a casual conversation some of my previous experiences were mentioned (Surface Mine Rescue Instructor) I was offered a job immediately! (but I didn't take the job!)

I remember once being put in charge, with a colleague, of the task of finding a new office admin assistant. Young girl walks in, great credential, fine cv, pleasant; my colleague took the lead: 'So, Helen, you have a good deal of experience, I think you'd do fine.Now, do you watch Emmerdale, cos I missed it last night.....'

I remember once being put in charge, with a colleague, of the task of finding a new office admin assistant. Young girl walks in, great credential, fine cv, pleasant; my colleague took the lead: 'So, Helen, you have a good deal of experience, I think you'd do fine.Now, do you watch Emmerdale, cos I missed it last night.....'

LOL. Cheers, Merc', just what I need. I'm off to get ready now - where did I put my wellies and my St. topez cravat.

On a more serious note before I get to work (yes, Malcolm, I do sometimes.....) a while back I was asked by a younger friend of mine to take a look at his cv as he was getting nowhere. Bear in mind, this cv had been created on one of those courses the Job Centre (or whatever they call it now) sends them on, where a 'professional' tutor guides them through it, checks it, and passes it fit for purpose. Quite frankly, this one (and several others I later looked at as I was concerned  at once for these youngsters looking for jobs) was utterly abysmal. It began with a personal statement that opened with the line (sic) 'Ah am an experienced.....' I won't bother to continue. The whole thing was littered with spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and so  on. Now, I know, I write for a profession, and fully understand that not everybody has the standards I do, but this wasn't about standards, it was about basic, simple errors. I cleaned it up for him in half an hour, correcting the grammar, restructuring sentences so they read better and moving his school qualifications (a handful of GCSE's - the lad was 30) behind his work experience. Whether by coincidence or not, he got a job the next month. If this is the standard of cr*p that these official job centre courses (what on earth are they paying these 'professionals'?) are approving, how can anyone expect to get a job? As I said, I subsequently reviewed a further few cv's; all of them would have been in the bin without a second glance.

I GOT THE JOB - sort of.

Now I know what to do folks. You tick the transgender box, turn up for the interview in fishnet stockings and six-inch stillettos, dab a smattering of Steetwalker56 under your armpits and talk in a husky voice. Works a charm. Mind you my ankles are killing me.

No, seriously, I start my induction next week and hopefully start work soon after. (There is a lot of paper work and red tape to sort out in between.) Cheers to all.

I GOT THE JOB - sort of.

Now I know what to do folks. You tick the transgender box, turn up for the interview in fishnet stockings and six-inch stillettos, dab a smattering of Steetwalker56 under your armpits and talk in a husky voice. Works a charm. Mind you my ankles are killing me.

No, seriously, I start my induction next week and hopefully start work soon after. (There is a lot of paper work and red tape to sort out in between.) Cheers to all.

Congrats Keith, Well done hope you enjoy the job.

But now back to the topic at hand I was asked a question in an interview once, "what do you watch on TV?"

I replied, "I don't watch the TV much I only watch the News sometimes and that is very rare."

I thought I told the truth that what an employer would want, WRONG!

I went back 2 weeks later and asked for feedback as I had not heard a word from them and the bloke who took my interview came over and said, "you were very negative about yourself, you said you only watched the news sometimes, you should have expanded on that and said I watch the news sometimes because I am Interested in current affairs."

I thought to myself so the employer wants me to Lie?

I don't watch the news or TV in general that often because I'm busy looking for jobs.

Thanks Vic, really appreciate it.

I know what you mean, Adam. Consider my dilemma - I don't have a telly! I got rid of it three years ago because of the celebrity sh**e that was always on. Whenever I tell anyone - including interviewers - I get a look ranging from horror to sympathy. Some people cannot come to terms with folk who have no interest in TV. Give me a book, CD, DVD, PC anyday.

Just as a matter of interest to anyone - and this is on a more serious note - if you are on Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) you are expected to pay bus fares out of your 'dole' money. So if you have three interviews in a week, that is about £15 out of your money. Now that is quite hard on some folk who are living hand to mouth. I can readily understand why and how there is so much debt in society - people are forced to get loans. The thing is - if you can't afford the bus fare - and thus can't get to the interview - then the authorities concerned can sanction you and stop your benefit because they deem it as 'not actively looking for work!!!

Is it me or is there something wrong with this system?

If you speak to your Adviser you should get reimburse for any travel cost, mind you have to be prepared to fight for them sometimes.

Not at the Jobcentre, Adam, they flatly refused me when I asked - I had three interviews in ten days. They told me in no uncertain terms that I was expected to pay for any bus fares out of my JSA unless the interview was beyond my 20 mile job search area.

Not at the Jobcentre, Adam, they flatly refused me when I asked - I had three interviews in ten days. They told me in no uncertain terms that I was expected to pay for any bus fares out of my JSA unless the interview was beyond my 20 mile job search area.

Can't understand that I would contact the head office and ask them Keith.

Congratulations Keith, good luc k in your new jobx

I GOT THE JOB - sort of.

Well done marra, where will you be working

Edited by keith

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now