Quail

I have recently purchased 6 Jumbo Quail  that i will beed from , they weigh  450 to 500 grm dressed at 6 weeks of age looking forward to send you some pics does any one on the forum have any of these delightful little birds.post-212-0-02931100-1397950108_thumb.jpg

Never had, or eaten quail.

Will these be pics of - baked - skewered - roasted  - wrapped - barbecued or just happy quail waiting to be collected by the chef?

A quick Google on Quail breeding suggests you will have a busy time Brian and your cocks will be kept busy - 6 to 8 week turnaround.

Hope you have 2 cocks Brian and you keep them seperated otherwise, by all accounts, they will be fighting to service the hens! 

post-3031-0-25512800-1397981960_thumb.jp

Roasted five spice jumbo quail.

Edited by Eggy1948

"Hope you have 2 cocks Brian....."

Not sure how that would work?

http://www.quailfarm.co.uk/index.php/quail-info/quail-breeding

The Breeding Stock

There are generally two main methods of breeding that are normally practiced in quail breeding.

One is when you have mixed sex quails in a cage/ housing. The male-female rate should be 1:2.5 which means 4 quail cockerels to 10 quail hens. If you breed quails on a larger scale or don't have the time necessary to spend on the other method this is the one you want to go for. This method has some disadvantages as well, like frequent fights between the males, which causes general nervousness in the cage and the fertilization and egg laying rate can become irregular.

Thanks for the info Eggy my bird ratio is 1:5 but i can easily get another cock bird

if anyone is interested you can google homestead quail and take a look at their site

4 Whole quail for £5 I think at Aldi!  

Are they jumbo Quail Mal .........I am hoping to sell mine to restaurants here for $15 each and fertile eggs for $10 a doz

• 2 months later...

They are well fed almost full size (around 485 grms) and the first batch of eggs are due out of the incubator  to-day

Edited by Brian Cross

• 4 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now