Old Church Hall

jack b

Why is everyone talking about 39 flats on the old school site, the planning permission was for 19 not chuffing 39!  

I had this same argument last night too, didn't I Adam!   :whistle:

Not with me Malcolm, As I was not sure.

Malcolm, what's 20 flats between friends?

Now Now Girls!!

Edited by foxy

All of you are wrong, the old school is were the new Top Club will be built !! It will be an amalgamation of the top club and market  place club ,with provision for the station club to re-locate. This "super club" will have a committee who will run the entire social scene of Bedlington. Bouncers will be employed to chuck troublemakers (local planners) to the dogs that will be kennelled where the old bogs were located below the school wall. All drinks will be less that £1. This will force all of the other pubs out of business A Blyth businessman will then buy the former boozers and transform them into super homes for old codgers and retired (and forced to retire) councillors.

I'm not too sure if the retired councillors will be ready to commit themselves to living in Bedlington just yet Keith. They may want to hang on until they know the location of the new County HQ before any decision is made. I'm sure they'll not want to commute too far to fulfil the new six figure Posts that are being created.

Edited by foxy

http://www.nicholsonnairn.co.uk/project-template.php?id=60

New build residential development comprising 19 apartments on derelict town centre site in the Bedlington Conservation Area. Granted planning approval via a successful public inquiry (to which Nicholson Nairn Architects

The development will play a significant part in the regeneration of Bedlington. oade II listed church the building was sensitively designed to enhance this setting whilst fully according with the local vernacular to deliver a building in character with both its immediate and wider context.

The building masks existing unattractive elements through its layout, massing and orientation to enhance the visual aspects into the site from key town centre advantage points.

Two important streetscapes will be dramatically improved through the proposed scheme while an important corner junction is successfully treated through appropriate design.

AM I BEING TOO SCEPTICAL HERE

1) …the development will play a significant part in the regeneration of Bedlington.

Er….how?.

2) …to deliver a building in character with both its immediate and wider context..

Er…Immediate context!!...an old church and graveyard and a ghost town!!

3)…The building masks existing unattractive elements through its layout, massing and orientation to enhance the visual aspects into the site from key town centre advantage points.

Er…masks existing unattractive elements…read hide it away.

…Massing and orientation!!!

Say what!

…enhance the visual aspects into the site from key town centre advantage points.

What town centre advantage points!!

4)…an important corner junction is successfully treated through appropriate design..

A busy corner junction (That will be blocked by builders' lorries, etc.)

[will be] successfully treated through appropriate design.

Appropriate design – how about something that will benefit the community.

Edited by keith lockey

I'm sure they actually meant to write vantage point, but you really can't expect a firm of highly paid architects to use propa English - like!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vantage+point

Massing and orientation is hoo them lot speak like. I mean if they said they thowt it was aboot the reet size an' pontin the reet way ordinary folks might not think they wa woorth the muney.  :D

And... to answer your AM I BEING TOO SCEPTICAL HERE question:  Yes, you probably are.  We have to grab at what is possible.  It's a bit more new life in the old place. And, it's life that has to actually pass through/live in the town centre, and not jump into their cars and head directly for the A1 to get to/from work - plus do all their shopping at the Metro Centre.

On the inconvenience: if you read the planning document you will find so many restrictions on what the builder has to/can't do it's a wonder any developer would even bother!  You can't have it both ways: call the place "a ghost town" then object to any activity!

How could I have missed the glaring one...

...Two important streetscapes will be dramatically improved ...

Now assuming one of those IMPORTANT streetscapes is the old Church itself...then if it was so important why wasn't it saved!! But what exactly are the TWO important streetscapes. Please clarify!

How could I have missed the glaring one...

...Two important streetscapes will be dramatically improved ...

Now assuming one of those IMPORTANT streetscapes is the old Church itself...then if it was so important why wasn't it saved!! But what exactly are the TWO important streetscapes. Please clarify!

The Church itself has been saved surely.

But what exactly are the TWO important streetscapes. Please clarify!

The streetscapes are presumably the two public facing elevations. The first and second images in the link you posted. The meaning of important refers to their prominent location in the town centre and impact on the town rather than any pre-existing structure in the location. 

if it was so important why wasn't it saved

It may not have been preserved but In my opinion it has been saved. The proposed development is a massive improvement over what is there right now and what it was likely to become.

Sorry, Ex-Bedlingtonian, I meant to put Old Church School, but I missed the school off. (Apologies)

Yes, Fourgee, no doubt you are correct, my grievance is the way they word this stuff and the fact that now-a-days it seems easier to knock things down and rebuild rather than to try to save the older building, with its marvelous stones  work, and turn it into a town feature.

Edited by keith lockey

Yes, Fourgee, no doubt you are correct, my grievance is the way they word this stuff and the fact that now-a-days it seems easier to knock things down and rebuild rather than to try to safe the building and turn it into a town feature.

Absolutely. It annoys me too. The text is not for the benefit of any planning decision however, it's marketing. They're just trying to sell their next project to prospective developers viewing their site.

During the planning appeal (which I did attend), many of these points were argued in great detail and all vantage points were looked at and the impact any changes would have.

See the decision from the planning inspectorate attached.

I have to echo others thoughts in this topic too. Preservation for preservation's sake does the town no good whatsoever. It is understandable that people will feel nostalgic over old buildings like this but it has no use in its current state.

Thanks 4g.

Looks good to me. Even if it's just housed by 38 Yuppies it's a move forward. Has to be better than a derelict school that would eventually crumble completely.

Not the type of subject I have ever done any digging into before so please correct me if I am wrong -

As the Appeal Decisions document has a Decision date 8th January 2010 and this expires after 5 years does this mean that Nicholson Nairn Architects will be initiating the construction of the new apartments before the end of 2014?

I fancy posting this compilation in the History Hollow 'Then and Now' topic

post-3031-0-97289600-1397849491_thumb.pn

Now I see what the building would look like I think it is an attractive design but the question of where they park remains a mystery???  was this question ever brought up at the meetings??? even if the correct number of planned units is 19 it still creates havoc for the people who would shop here, I live in the US now and a few years ago a developer wanted to build a 350 unit Condominium, he had enough ground for Parking but the road traffic would have increased by at least 700 vehicles and morning commutes would have been horrible, people objected and the plan was turned down. they put new housing in the old playing field on Church road or that would have been perfect............there is nowhere to Park!!!!!?????

Now I see what the building would look like I think it is an attractive design but the question of where they park remains a mystery???  was this question ever brought up at the meetings??? even if the correct number of planned units is 19 it still creates havoc for the people who would shop here, I live in the US now and a few years ago a developer wanted to build a 350 unit Condominium, he had enough ground for Parking but the road traffic would have increased by at least 700 vehicles and morning commutes would have been horrible, people objected and the plan was turned down. they put new housing in the old playing field on Church road or that would have been perfect............there is nowhere to Park!!!!!?????

There is a para in Annex 2 of the document posted,  Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:18 PM, : -·           59c0d895-2a5e-45c6-bcaa-1ffa92d886a7.pdf   167.19KB

by Fourgee  that states:-

ANNEX 2

Conditions attached to the grant of planning permission for 19 residential flats with onsite parking at Bedlington Old School, Front Street West, Bedlington,

Northumberland NE22 5EL;

5) Notwithstanding the details submitted with the planning application, no development shall commence (or at a time as otherwise agreed with the Local Planning Authority) until detailed designs for;

a) Vehicular and pedestrian access point(s) to the application site,

B) Car parking areas,

c) Vehicular turning spaces, have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The works as approved shall be completed prior to the occupation of any of the dwellings hereby permitted (or at a time as otherwise agreed with the Local Planning Authority) and shall be thereafter retained.

I would assume this to be true, but no doubt someone with more experience ( I have none) in these areas will correct me.

PS. that's not me adding in the grinning emoticon it must be that 'b + close brackets' is the code for B)

Edited by Eggy1948
  • Like 1

PS. that's not me adding in the grinning emoticon it must be that 'b + close brackets' is the code for B)

Leave a space before the bracket (actually that type is called parenthesis) and it won't happen. :)

Leave a space before the bracket (actually that type is called parenthesis) and it won't happen. :)

2b) or not 2 B). I appreciate the educational update sir. I was just attempting to do the same myself. I also hate keeping knowledge to myself, prefer to pass it on.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

First time I've seen one of these - Northumberland News - Autum 2015 - from Norhumberland Labour Group, Blyth delivered through our door yesterday.

Headings within the two pages are :-

Free at last (car parking and council telephone number across the county) 

It's a CAPITAL PLAN (construction boom in Northumberland as council tackles years of underinvestment)

Labour welcomes 'new beginning for Bedlington' as LIDL annouce multi million investment in new store - apparently there are over 100 'likes' on local councillor Alison Wallace's Facebook page following the post she made - I can't find one with that loads have 'liked'

Dr Pitt Park secures green flag thumbs up 

AND

Moves afoot to develop old Bedlington school site :-

post-3031-0-52479900-1445863008_thumb.jp

'new beginning for Bedlington' as LIDL annouce multi million investment in new store

How a purveyor of cheap beans setting up shop can be seen as a new begining for the Town is a mystery to me.

When I think of the many the many wonderfull things that could have been created on such a wonderfull central site in the Town it makes me sad.

How a purveyor of cheap beans setting up shop can be seen as a new begining for the Town is a mystery to me.

When I think of the many the many wonderfull things that could have been created on such a wonderfull central site in the Town it makes me sad.

I think they are relating the opening of a new supermarket as a new beginnin following the closure of an old one. Jobs to be created etc etc. I welcome it.

Shud your name not be Kieth? Barton infants were taught 'i' before 'e' accept after 'c'. And that's why I failed my English Language - 1/2 a mark deducted for every spelling mistake.

I startidd my eggtensive heducayshun  at the villuj infants.  Thatt skule mayd me wot I am twodae

Aye,keefy,aa startid theor as weel,in 1949,but it had been modanised...oot went thi slate an' chaak,an' in cyem proppa pelcins..!

Missus Oliver waas me heedmistress,a luvly aad lady,and Missus Smith waas me teacha,luvly an' aal.

Life waas simpil in them days,wi larn't ti coont wi bonny-colaad roond carbord coonta's like big widdly-tinks..!

Missus Smith used ti tek wi doon ti thi scyuul plaa-in field where thon vicar's hoose is,doon chorch-lane,and aa spent menny a happy oor cowpin me creels an plaain rowly-powly doon thi slowpy-bit ahint the graveyard waal.....

Utha happy times waas plaa-in in thi aad wartime air-raid sheltaas in thi corna uv thi scyuul-yard!![waasint alloo'd mind,but wi wur just bairns!]

Nivva did me nae harm,aa still groo up ti be an illtenigelt yung bugga,who knew nowt aboot futbaal,aa sporrt,but knew hoo ti calculate the resistance[R]

of a theoretical circuit,given the potential [E] and the current ,using Ohm's Law,and understood the theory and practical applications of Magnetism,and Electronics,using Thermionic Valves,[before Transistors and Micro-chips were born!!]

Winding coils of wire and building electric motors was aad hat  n kids stuff when a waas 12 yeors aad!

Aye,thi aad scyuul shudda been presarved,eevin if sum bugga had med a hoose oot o it,like yon chorch doon aside the Forresstaas pub doon Sleekborn......

Noo,if aa had been brainy,ind gud it sums,a might a been a brain sorjin,and bowt it mesel....but a went doon thi black hole.......!!

Eggy,that's the stupidity of the "English" language,I does gaa before E,except in Keith,Leith , etc

Noo in PROPPA langwidge,like Bedlt'ntonian,it meks nae diffrence,cos ivry bugga knaas wat ya taakin aboot ennyhoo,cos they aal taak thi syem......er......a mean,they USED TI TAAK AAL THI SYEM,afore aal thi posh fowks came in wi tha funny way o taakin......and noo we are aal dyin oot....!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now