In Loving Memory

Ladies and gentleman, a moment's silence to reflect on the passing of a legendary boozer.

I refer, of course, to the Domino aka the Ranch aka Lucy's aka The Palace.

Since this website has been "off the air" this much-loved night spot has closed down and been bulldozed. A sad end.

So, no more dancing to "I like to move it". No more chips and ketchup washed down with snakey and black. No more personal appearances by Steve McFaddens off of Eastenders.

Sorry, I appear to have something in my eye.

The "olden days" Domino thread

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its much better the way it is now. Me and the lads used to have contests to see how long we could go between visits, I visited most often apparently, my record was 4 years between visits!

The last time I went there was to the pictures and a think it was called the Wallha then, (not sure if I spelt that right), I remember seeing The Ten Commandments there, it started at six had an intermission at eight and finished about ten.

Pete

There you go, I did say it was a long time ago but I do recall Aker Bilk playing there, the Wallaw that is.

Pete

The Wallaw, originally the Palace, 9d downstairs and 1s 3d upstairs and we got our crisps at the little shop on the corner opposite. Sometimes we even dared to go to the Prince of Wales up there in Bedlington, most times though we went to the billiard hall at the Station, if there was no table available we went to the 'tute behind South Row.

The Wallaw, originally the Palace, 9d downstairs and 1s 3d upstairs and we got our crisps at the little shop on the corner opposite. Sometimes we even dared to go to the Prince of Wales up there in Bedlington, most times though we went to the billiard hall at the Station, if there was no table available we went to the 'tute behind South Row.

I did think that it was called the Wallaw at one time, used to have a Tuesday morning matanee 6d to get in.

The tute, you could get a tab and a match for 2d from the tute when we were kids, if it was cold they had a big roaring fire in there. Moscies billiard hall was a favourite haunt.

Pete

Ladies and gentleman, a moment's silence to reflect on the passing of a legendary boozer.

I refer, of course, to the Domino aka the Ranch aka Lucy's aka The Palace.

Since this website has been "off the air" this much-loved night spot has closed down and been bulldozed. A sad end.

So, no more dancing to "I like to move it". No more chips and ketchup washed down with snakey and black. No more personal appearances by Steve McFaddens off of Eastenders.

Sorry, I appear to have something in my eye.

The "olden days" Domino thread

Ah, Simon, hands in the air cutting the rug. That's living alright.

Ah, Simon, hands in the air cutting the rug. That's living alright.

This weekend I was reading Evan Martins latest, "Bedlingtonshire now and then" which I recently received.

He mentions the Palace, on Palace road. Built in 1911 as a live theatre, named the Wallaw from the thirties to the fifties, showing pictures. I remember seeing a newsreel showing the battle of the River Plate, and then the subsequent scuttling of the Graf Spee . This was in late 1939. Early in the Blitz, it was temporarily closed as it was thought it might be a target, and then later on it reopened for morale purposes when it was seen that either the luftwaffe didn't care, or couldn't spare it a bomb.

Evan goes on to say that it then became Lucy's and then the Domino, being demolished in recent years. I remember it as a Bingo Hall when I visited Bedlington in the sixties or seventies.

Joe

• 2 months later...
When I lived in Bedlington I couldnt believe how bad it was; but being all the way over here in the land of the rising sun I was devastated when I heard it was gone, I would have wanted to see it one last time.

:(

Go to bubbles in ashington, it's the same deal

• 1 year later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now