No Biomass Power Station Now.

For illustrative purposes only.

Not the kind of illustration the author intended methinks!  More an illustration of why pinning your hopes on any mega-project (particularly one that is government/EU funded) is a chimera.

Put away the begging bowl you local politicos, and start doing things that are actually business friendly!  Particularly things that are friendly to local entrepreneurs!  They are the ones that have strong ties and base loyalty to the area.  All you've been saying for decades is that we resent your enterprise, so b-off - so they do!

Put away the begging bowl you local politicos, and start doing things that are actually business friendly!  

Our two local Politicos have no time for begging bowls, they spend their time taking it in turns writing a column for the local rag. Every week having the same content, repeats of an inept Coalition Government that we've already read about in the National Press and a Miners Strike/Pit Closures that the're seeking  Justice for. I'm sure the vast majority of folk in their constituencies myself included agree with them, but wouldn't it be nice if they spent some time fighting for jobs for young people around here rather than trying to win Brownie Points in a slagging match.      

Too many jobs have been lost in the area over the last few years I can count easily at least 1000 jobs lost from major employers (Alcan closing, Woolworths going bust, Focus going bust,) not to mention the local shops and pubs (Spend and save, HSBC, Movies/JJ's, The Top Club and many other) all leading to job loses adding to the dole and meaning even bigger and bigger companies have to fill the gap, Akzonobel and Bernicia Homes are welcome but I don't think we will ever see unemployment come down to a low level as there is nothing to offer large employers here, no cheap energy, low business rates, not even a good transport link.

And that's why GGG is right Adam we have to target the indigenous businesses and help them develop to their potential.  

Much more sustainable and leading to many more jobs across a much wider range of sectors as an added bonus!  

A county such as ours needs a vibrant SME sector because of the handicaps we inherently have regarding the Big Boys.   

• Like 1

Foxy wrote: "...they spend their time taking it in turns writing a column for the local rag. Every week having the same content, repeats of an inept Coalition Government that we've already read about ..."

Well, of course they do that type of thing.  Political shysters realise they have no real function (apart from gorging themselves in the expenses trough), have no real influence so can't really affect change, so they spend most of their time fashioning 'caring credentials' via the local media.

"we have to target the indigenous businesses and help them develop to their potential."

Indeed; I was, I believe, the very last client of Wansbeck Works, who allocated me funds to buy some of the equipment needed to set up my (very inexpensive) business, and also one of the final grantees from Go Wansbeck, where I can only say Dave Gibbon, and the rest of his team, could not have been more helpful. I'm not sure what help  is available to those looking to start a business such as mine, but the demise of the latter is certainly a sad move from my point of view.

I have been extremely lucky in managing to find a niche to work in, having lost a long-term job and house and more)  thanks to a chronic illness; the support, in the early days, of Wansbeck Works - and, I might add, the Jobcentre - in helping me gain the confidence to actually start making a living for myself was tremendous; unfortunately my business is never going to support more than myself and, if I start putting my mind to it, two or three other work-from-home types; there is copious work to be had in the commercial writing world, and rather than take the traditional (and cheap) route in finding others to work for me, it is my intention to employ locally. The traditional route, you may be interested to know, involves using 'writing factories' (yes, really) which are generally found on the Indian sub-continent (no racial overtones intended, it's just how it is) which charge pennies for their output. All too often I've had potential clients reject my bid as being too expensive; yet, later, many come back to me to have me rewrite the poorly phrased articles they are provided with - Google, I am at odds to tell the, puts a great deal of worth on Quality these days.

On the plus side, if anyone wants advice on perhaps trying to do something along these lines there is plenty - and I mean plenty - of work about, and not just in writing; remote admin workers, data entry, design, and more are all out-sourced on a massive basis these days. I am more than willing to help guide you through the mire! Meanwhile, let's see some enterprising ideas for Wansbeck businesses!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now