Furnice Bank Road

I know the bank is used for learner drivers to practice hill starts, but is there any need to let the road condition get that bad you need an off road vehicle to pass.

is this a new driving skill "rough terrain" or is it to stop the regular fly tippers! :D

I know the bank is used for learner drivers to practice hill starts, but is there any need to let the road condition get that bad you need an off road vehicle to pass.

is this a new driving skill "rough terrain" or is it to stop the regular fly tippers! :D

Whats that comin over the hill, it's a monsta,it's a monstaaaaaa with a full load to fly tip at the bottom of the hill :P

When I last looked it was the Furnace Bank. :)

Twas always thus! Especially in the time of my childhood. "Furnace", not Furness, or god forbid, Furnice.

And we, the kids of 1930's Bedlington, used to believe that we were poorly educated.

God knows how much it costs to educate present day children to a basic level.

It seems like money wasted, from what I read every day.

Joe

And a "Bah humbug" to you too!

Twas always thus! Especially in the time of my childhood. "Furnace", not Furness, or god forbid, Furnice.

And we, the kids of 1930's Bedlington, used to believe that we were poorly educated.

Joe

"What a distressing contrast there is between the radiant intelligence of a child and the feeble mentality of the average adult."

Emma's relation......... :huh:

Joe

picky aren't you! get of your horse and fight like a man!

picky aren't you! get of your horse and fight like a man!

Please!

Don't you find it just a little hypocritical to speak of "Fighting like a man" when you hide behind a nom de plume, and spend a good part of your posts pretending to be anyone else but the real you.

I understand the need for privacy, and the value of a nom de plume, especially in a small town setting, but I find it particularly cowardly to use it as a shield, from behind which you spew insults, and any other petty attacks which may appeal to your somewhat stunted intelligence.

Forums like this are meant for , and are of value in, discussing opinions, experiences and thoughts on any matter of general interest. We never have to agree, and usually don't. But disagree or not, we have a right to be treated with courtesy, and a responsibility to always show courtesey and respect to others.

In my opinion, it is this lack of courtesy and respect on your part which has lead to such a strong reaction against your posts, and made you the target of much criticism.

If you write like an arrogant and immature fool, then so you will be treated!

And, that "Monsta" is only a part of what being a man is all about. So get off your imaginary horse, and grow up!

Joe Rooney

Please!

Don't you find it just a little hypocritical to speak of "Fighting like a man" when you hide behind a nom de plume, and spend a good part of your posts pretending to be anyone else but the real you.

I understand the need for privacy, and the value of a nom de plume, especially in a small town setting, but I find it particularly cowardly to use it as a shield, from behind which you spew insults, and any other petty attacks which may appeal to your somewhat stunted intelligence.

Forums like this are meant for , and are of value in, discussing opinions, experiences and thoughts on any matter of general interest. We never have to agree, and usually don't. But disagree or not, we have a right to be treated with courtesy, and a responsibility to always show courtesey and respect to others.

In my opinion, it is this lack of courtesy and respect on your part which has lead to such a strong reaction against your posts, and made you the target of much criticism.

If you write like an arrogant and immature fool, then so you will be treated!

And, that "Monsta" is only a part of what being a man is all about. So get off your imaginary horse, and grow up!

Joe Rooney

This is debatable, as is the fact that I have grown up and hate riding horses. Any way getting back to the point I agree if I’m aggressive to whomever that they should be able to take up the fight and be aggressive back. However I have had nothing but insults about the way I was typing, I came here thinking this site would be lax about typing shortcuts and slang, but I was wrong and found out that I was talking to a bunch of stiff upper lipped arrogant people.

This is Bedlington a tough colliery village, not Cambridge University!

Guest missvic
This is debatable, as is the fact that I have grown up and hate riding horses. Any way getting back to the point I agree if I’m aggressive to whomever that they should be able to take up the fight and be aggressive back. However I have had nothing but insults about the way I was typing, I came here thinking this site would be lax about typing shortcuts and slang, but I was wrong and found out that I was talking to a bunch of stiff upper lipped arrogant people.

Did Joe really say that? Are you sure? He's a lover not a fighter!

Really, Monsta, I'm sure nobody wants to come here to argue. Like you say, Bedlington is a 'tough colliery village' and if any of us really wanted a fight, I'm sure we could find on in a number of of Bedlington's ale-houses (the Market Tavern, of course, excluded Barlass!). However you may also find that the demographics of the town are shifting away from the fighting folk and more towards the literate sorts (which is quite nice in my opinion) and it's plesant to read the thoughts of thinking-Bedlingtonians. Which is why a number of angry/ agressive/ downright strange comments written in some kind of pidgin-charver speak have stood out against a number of more enlightened debates. Why can't we all just get along in peace and get back to talking about Denzel's dogging antics?

Even in it's toughest days, Bedlington was always a tolerant and fair minded town

People enjoyed a good argument, but respected one anothers right to a differing opinion.

And it is mutual respect and courtesy which is what this disagreement is all about.

Fighting, of the physical variety, is only resorted to by the intolerant person who is afraid of reason, and would attempt to win a simple debate by violence.

That is not what debate and discussion is for. Nobody cares who wins, it is enough that we explore the subject from differing points ofd view.

And being discourteous is no substitute for enjoying another persons personality and beliefs.

Thats all that I have to say about that..

I grew up in Bedlington at it's best, and at it's worst. And yes I did eventually attend Universities, Two in fact. And I am still a pitmans son. Even if I don't resort to mangled Pitmatic.

I know that I understand pitmatic, I just don't believe that I should inflict it on other people who are total strangers to me, and thus make life difficult for them, and show myself as an inconsiderate fool!

Joe

It must have been a thousand years ago that I and a few others were squabbling in similar fashion with Joe Rooney. I was a fool then, hopefully less of a one now.

Joe was right then and he is right now.

That is SO beautiful

It must have been a thousand years ago that I and a few others were squabbling in similar fashion with Joe Rooney. I was a fool then, hopefully less of a one now.

CK,

Like you. I spent a great deal of time in the army. Training for war, and practicing peacekeeping convinced me of only one thing. No one ever wins a war, and peacekeeping, frustrating as it is, is the only productive use of armed force.

We have all seen examples in everyday life, tolerance is preferable to any form of coercion.

While getting along with one another has it's own frustrations, it is still much better to accept and enjoy one anothers differences than to attempt to change others to our mold.

Thats why my kids used to call me "Major Pollyanna" behind my back. But I brought them all home from some god forsaken assignments, so I was quite happy with the tag.

The same rationale applies here. If we don't enjoy what we read, or are frequently insulted or demeaned by some socalled joke, or sneer. then we will drop out, the site goes down the tube, and we hear the old cry "Theres nothing worth reading here".

I don't believe that either one of us are fools! We probably both were in our youth, but fortunately, experience slapped us in the face, and got us turned around in time for our later life. That is possibly why we rarely got the promotion we longed for, until we had developed enough common sense to employ it properly.

regards, Joe

What a shame you never met the man.

Did Joe really say that? Are you sure? He's a lover not a fighter!

Really, Monsta, I'm sure nobody wants to come here to argue. Like you say, Bedlington is a 'tough colliery village' and if any of us really wanted a fight, I'm sure we could find on in a number of of Bedlington's ale-houses (the Market Tavern, of course, excluded Barlass!). However you may also find that the demographics of the town are shifting away from the fighting folk and more towards the literate sorts (which is quite nice in my opinion) and it's plesant to read the thoughts of thinking-Bedlingtonians. Which is why a number of angry/ agressive/ downright strange comments written in some kind of pidgin-charver speak have stood out against a number of more enlightened debates. Why can't we all just get along in peace and get back to talking about Denzel's dogging antics?

Rather not...... :mellow:

CK,

Like you. I spent a great deal of time in the army. Training for war, and practicing peacekeeping convinced me of only one thing. No one ever wins a war, and peacekeeping, frustrating as it is, is the only productive use of armed force.

We have all seen examples in everyday life, tolerance is preferable to any form of coercion.

While getting along with one another has it's own frustrations, it is still much better to accept and enjoy one anothers differences than to attempt to change others to our mold.

Thats why my kids used to call me "Major Pollyanna" behind my back. But I brought them all home from some god forsaken assignments, so I was quite happy with the tag.

The same rationale applies here. If we don't enjoy what we read, or are frequently insulted or demeaned by some socalled joke, or sneer. then we will drop out, the site goes down the tube, and we hear the old cry "Theres nothing worth reading here".

I don't believe that either one of us are fools! We probably both were in our youth, but fortunately, experience slapped us in the face, and got us turned around in time for our later life. That is possibly why we rarely got the promotion we longed for, until we had developed enough common sense to employ it properly.

regards, Joe

That is so true....... B)

how old are you? you immortal or something? :lol: