Bedlington Bus Company

Jedo_03

In 1927 the first Newcastle to London Bus Service was started by a Bedlington family firm (Orange Bros.) using ordinary buses.

It was called the Tyne - Tees - Thames Service.

Pic here of an 'Orange Bros.' bus used on the Newcastle to London (Thames) service with many stops along the way including Sunderland. 'Orange Bros.' may have become a subsidiary of 'United Automobile Services Ltd.'. Were their buses orange, or red??

post-3125-0-02957700-1389951307_thumb.jp

Edited by Jedo_03

1923.... In October the three Orange brothers Joseph, Robert & William, wanted to provide a service between Bedlington & Sleekburn Station & purchased 14 seat Model T bus reg number NL6214.

... and then what happened..??

Presumably this 1923 venture was a success..?? - and they went on to impliment the Tyne-Tees-Thames service...??

Are there any recorded details..??

Who were the Orange Family..??

Were the buses Orange - or Red...??

Was this the first Tyne-Thames Bus Service..??

I researched a Bedlington timeline last year Jedo_03 and these are part of it.   

Full SP on the Orange Bros I have:

1923 In October the three Orange brothers Joseph, Robert & William, wanted to provide a service between Bedlington & Sleekburn Station & purchased 14 seat Model T bus reg number NL6214.

1924 In May they applied for a licence to do this

1924 They took delivery of another bus, a 20 seater Lancia reg number NL6845

1926 They began to pick up passengers from the Haymarket, Newcastle for Bedlington in July

1927 They bought another bus a Gilford Model reg number CN2956

1927 September saw the brothers taking passengers to London for £1 per head

1928 Saw the brothers running night services to London and they opened an office at Kings Cross

1930 The brothers began a service from Newcastle to Edinburgh and Glasgow in July

1930 Later that year the brothers moved their office from Bedlington to the Haymarket at Newcastle

1933 Orange Brothers employed over 100 staff and had 35 coaches

1933 Later in the year they decided to fly the very first air service between Newcastle and London. The "North Mail" had the headline "London to Newcastle in 3 hours" The paper went on to say that Joseph Orange arrived at Cramlington Aerodrome with his sister in a six seater Havilland Dragon similar to the two he intends to use to link London with Teesside and Tyneside. This service was run from Whitemare Pool, a flying field near Sunderland to Stag Lane aerodrome London and the fare would have been £5. They failed to find the capital and the route was begun by a competitor, Railway Air Services instead.

1934 United Automobile Services bought them out. Finally Orange Brothers faded into transport history.

Thanks for the positive comment about the picture and thanks to others for their comments elsewhere.

I'm scanning Dads old Bedlington photographs into my computer (675 so far and more albums keep appearing) and try to keep an eye out for any forums that I can add a picture to.

He has pictures of Bedlington and the surrounding district covering places, individuals, groups, teams, schools etc with some dating back to early 1900s.

I've sent a couple of pictures to individuals requesting info about their families via the members email contacts so will keep adding any I think might help on forums.

He's got a few group/team pictures which he can't name so I'll be posting them with a request for help in naming them soon.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now