Bits Of History Nobody Knew About

Adam Hogg

a contact of mine, maurice dawson, no relation, involved with mining lamps, is waiting to see about getting bedlington rails from a place in durham. he is going to pass them on to the group.

let you know when he has passed them on to us.

he is a mass of information on mining lamps and brings out a little pamphlet monthly.

i got some here id anyone is wanting to borrow them. must be returned tho. some interesting local bits in too.

• 2 weeks later...

John,this is intriguing the hell oot o' me here!

The top name on the register is that of my Granda on me Faatha's side.[not me Granda,mind...cos me Faatha was born in 1915.....6 years after this lad was born.

Summik fishy was gaan on in thi aad days,when they were so prim and proppa.....like hell were they!!

Aad love ti see the register for 1948/9,for the village infants school,when aa started,a think a was aboot 4-and a -haaf,coos the way me birthday fell,between terms.

A need ti dae sum research aboot me granda's aad chep!

Thanks for posting this gem,John.!

Another famous-to -be-in -Bedlington name on there John,that of James Bower of Market Place.

The Bower family ran the coal  wagons,and Rafffi Bower ran the Marqee hire business also with his Daughter,who spent her days with one-hundredwieght sacks of coal on her shoulders running up flights of stairs with them sometimes! 

James grew up and moved to number 6 Hollymount Square,when the houses were first built,at the same time my family moved into number 13.

ME and his Son,young Jimmy Bower,became inseparable mates so much,people took us for brothers!

Russel is in there ,A lass  who later bore family who lived in Milllfield,and I am assuming it would be her son,Jimmy, who sat behind me all the way through our entire school life[cos in those day,you could sit next to your friend as you went through the school years till you left!]

Interesting document! would love to see more!

Reedy, I was very interested to see your Picture of "Bowers, The Neuk" yesterday. I got a book for my Birthday called Bedlingtonshire now and then written by Evan Martin. On page 30 there's aphoto of a James Bower with a horse and cart. I Think it say's General Dealer on the side of the cart but it looks more like a rag and bone man. It says that:

"Mr James Bower provided transport for all occasions. Not a lot of house removal (shifting) took Place as the colliery folk especially tended to stay in the same property for many years. If the move was necessary, Mr Bower was reliable and available, even though the cartage was basic."

Could it be the same family?

Edited by Canny lass

Reedy, I was very interested to see your Picture of "Bowers, The Neuk" yesterday. I got a book for my Birthday called Bedlingtonshire now and then written by Evan Martin. On page 30 there's aphoto of a James Bower with a horse and cart. I Think it say's General Dealer on the side of the cart but it looks more like a rag and bone man. It says that:

"Mr James Bower provided transport for all occasions. Not a lot of house removal (shifting) took Place as the colliery folk especially tended to stay in the same property for many years. If the move was necessary, Mr Bower was reliable and available, even though the cartage was basic."

Could it be the same family?

My book by Evan Martin - The Archive Photographs Series BEDLINGTONSHIRE' first published 1997 shows another photograph, 1900 approx, of Jimmy Bower's son, Robert and his half sister Bertha. They are standing, holding the horses by those horsey bits that are fitted over the horses heads. The script with this photo is 'Jimmy Bower set up a chrabanc and coach business in Muggers Neuk - He also hired out marquees and tents'. There is another photo on the next page and is of The Bowers lodging house and other Neuk property around the corner from Rosella Place.

Would say it was the same family and he was into everything that required a horse and cart (and horsey bits).

Edited by Eggy1948

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another famous-to -be-in -Bedlington name on there John,that of James Bower of Market Place.

The Bower family ran the coal  wagons,and Rafffi Bower ran the Marqee hire business also with his Daughter,who spent her days with one-hundredwieght sacks of coal on her shoulders running up flights of stairs with them sometimes! 

James grew up and moved to number 6 Hollymount Square,when the houses were first built,at the same time my family moved into number 13.

ME and his Son,young Jimmy Bower,became inseparable mates so much,people took us for brothers!

Russel is in there ,A lass  who later bore family who lived in Milllfield,and I am assuming it would be her son,Jimmy, who sat behind me all the way through our entire school life[cos in those day,you could sit next to your friend as you went through the school years till you left!]

Interesting document! would love to see more!

Watcheor,Welshconnect!!

........."wat gear are ye on?............"Tranwell.."......"er...ner"...."Mitford"......."naa"....Cresswell then!"...."aareet!"

Heh heh!!!!!

Aye,Welshie!,an' a  think ya not as gud as me for reminiscin', marra,seeing as ye an me were thought by some folk up here,ti be Brothers!![in 1950's-60's]

Just think back ti ya aad Rossetti "Lucky 7",[Green one,if a mind correctly,]and aa got the white one..[still got it],ye got the little 4 watt Vox amp,[valve-driven,and aa had an unbranded 8 watt amp.....way back in aboot 1959-60 ish..!!

Happy days eh? Jimmy,me old boyo!

A wud love ti hook up wi ye again,Jim,for aad times sakes,

Me last post referred ti discussions we used ti have aboot where wa next bike-ride was gaana be!![we were only aboot 13 yrs aad and we rode to Rothbury,one day,and Alnwick on another day,when the old roads were aal twisty and humpy-backed.....bliddy hard work on old steel bikes with steel mudguards....dynamo,steel gears,nae carbon fibre or titanium in them days!

Ye got yor blue racer brand new off Jimmy Milne,paid for wi ya paper-roond,and Wor Youngin' got the Raleigh Trent Tourist,[ Rolls-Royce of a bike!],off Jimmy Milne also,cos he was working doon thi pit,and had pocket-money.

ME?....aa had ti gaan doon Barrington tip..[barnt'n tip..],and salvage bits of other aad bikes and cadge bits from me friends,ti build me own bike up..[.but a treasured it!!]....,cos aa was still at school,and didn't get any pocket money off naebody!!! [...play violins!.......sniff....sniff!]

Jim,wat aboot Walker's apple-orchard,at the bottom of your garden?...soor as hell,but we raided them every year,alang wi Eric D. and he's Brother Alan.

Eric was in your class at school,alang wi Tott,Paddy,Terry Brad,who sadly passed away while still a young lad at school..[R.I.P. Terry].

Did ye get me reply to ya P.M. Jim?..check ya mailbox.

Noo aal this IS history,that naebody knew owt aboot,and through thi power of this great site,and a bit help from thi internet,my long-lost aad Marra from age 5yrs aad has just been re-connected with me!

Jim,having been away for so long,a hope ye haven't lost ya Bedltn accent aaltigitha mind!!

Look forward ti hearing from ye again Boyo!

Bora Da!

Bill.

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

Great to hear from you bill l remember all off those times you mentioned on your post like it was yesterday the happiest times of my lifeI Been living. Down here 51 years now bill. But I'm still a Gordie I haven't been home now for 10 years the last twice was to Bury my mother and sister. how is Jim and your sisters I remember one off them had a hole in the heart l often go on google and zoom in on holly mount squ it hasn't changed a hell of a lot your right about the power off the internet are you still rideing that old bike. Who wants to be a million air. Who wants a tube to fill with air. Remember that bill I have often thought about you over the years bill and the times we had when we where kids. Write back to me bill it's great to hear from you. jim

Heh heh,Jim! Sinatra will nivvor be dead will he!

Pleased you ain't gone senile,mate,you had me worried for a second or two till you've confirmed we were both nuts when we were kids!

Have yi not checked ya Private Messages Jim,we need ti exchang e-mail addresses -were public here,not that I bother about that,cos a want ti thi world ti knaa hoo great this site is for fetchin aad marra's tigitha!

A couple of years back,a aad pit marra of mine,[whey he is a lot younger than me!],got in contact through me pit photo's on the Flickr Photo site.

He came across me Bates Pit Pics,and commented on them...he lives in Perth,Western Australia!!!!

Then Vic popped up on here,Jim,[Doreen's Vic!!].....in Canada!....Amazing!

Check ya Mailbox Jim,and we'll hook up there!

Cheers,

Bill the transformer freak......[bet THAT ONE'S got ye thinking!!]

Seriously,Jim,a had the greatest affection for aal yor family,and was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of your Mam,Dad,and Sister.

A only found out when they were long passed away,and didn't get ti pay me last respects to each of them.

Once we moved ti West Terrace at Stakeford,in 1970,you would think it was me who had moved ti the other side of the world....

Even noo,a only see me family noo and again in either hospital,or Doctor's surgery waiting rooms,that's the place to meet up wi aad friends also!....we're

aal at that age!!

A canna wait ti see Wor Youngun' mind,ti tell him a got a line aboot a millionairre!

Aam looking forward ti many a gud crack Jim,ti catch up wi ye,but reet noo,Little Black Jess is biting me leg fo' waakies!!

That reminds me,aal of a sudden...it's just hit me like a stone....!!...Jess![ is that name familiar wi YE, or aam a really gaan senile,and getting muxed ip?!!]

Cheers Jim!

Bill.

• Like 1

Jim,Ruff it was,ya little Corgie....mine was Micky.

Afore a gaan oot ,Jim,if ye browse aroond History Hollow,ye'll see Micky Potts[a think it was],who telt thi story aboot he's Jackdaa,when He was a kid,and aa related the story aboot hoo wor Jackie came to a sad end.

See if ye can find it Jim,tha's sum great folks on here,aal wi interesting stories ti tell!

As ye used ti say....."S' long"!

Aal mail ye when a cum bak,but dinna fo'get ti check oot yor mailbox on this site,click on at thi top of thi page on the envelope icon,where it says.."messenger",if ye hover ya moose owa it.

Bill.

Stil waiting for you to email me bill. James.bower@talktalk.net. Nice photo of you playing the guitar. You look a bit scrawny could be your age. I could not find the pics of you down the pit. Anyway email me bill there's tons of information I want out of you. About the old days. Jim

Scraany?..heh heh! Howw,AAV had a hard life ye knaa!

Sorry Jim,desperately tried ti get back ti ye,didn't hae me computer on..this is me normal time for  browsing,after aal me commitments have been met,and a wind doon for an hoor....usually aalwis efter  midneet.

Gaana bugger off noo and get ti me mailbox!!

• 3 weeks later...

Noo,Jim,aav mailed ye,Private Messaged ye,and nae reply....!

Is talktalk being the aakward sods like they have done [deniably from thier end!],with me?

Ever since I refused to go onto thier new fibre optic broadband tariff,my computer has slowed down immensely,and it happened just after I had two

phone calls a fortnight apart,trying to persuade me change from the old tariff I have been on since they started!

This,by the way,was a couple of years ago,nowt ti dae wi thi Cyber attack,and resulting phone calls we got.

So Welshie,a can understand if ye are hevvin botha,aal just be patient.........and if ye divvent come back...aal put ya nyem in thi windae!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now