Then And Now

Here's some more:

Netherton Pit Old banner:

post-894-0-00739800-1386532419_thumb.jpg

Netherton Pit new banner:

post-894-0-58151000-1386532467_thumb.jpg

front of Netherton banner and reverse:

post-894-0-86256800-1386532498_thumb.jpg post-894-0-26533200-1386532499_thumb.jpg

Ok, you'll notice it says Seaton Burn but it IS Netherton's.  When Netherton pit closed the banner was recycled (a common practice) for Seaton Burn pit.  Look closely and you'll see the patch sewn over the name area.

Cambois:

post-894-0-41831200-1386532907_thumb.jpg

Cambois & Bates (Yep, Adam uses this one):

post-894-0-64741000-1386532907_thumb.jpg

Pegswood:

post-894-0-99864400-1386533053_thumb.jpgpost-894-0-20328200-1386533056_thumb.jpg

Seghill:

post-894-0-54238900-1386533117_thumb.jpg

More to follow.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad has an album with over 40 Bedlington 'Then and Now' pictures. We took the more recent ones in 2003/2004 so no doubt even more changes have occurred since then. We tried to get into the same positions wherever possible. I'll start scanning and posting some of the pictures once Christmas and New Year are over but for starters here is the Clayton Arms with windows intact.

post-3028-0-42052800-1386695596_thumb.jp

Keith, re the comment you left on the previous gallery picture of the Clayton Arms, I agree that the more recent building looks a lot different but I think this latest picture shows it in the same place as it is now.

Reedy, is that a hearse on the left-hand side of the first picture? I know there was / is a funeral parlour down there. On the photo it looks as if that bloke is waiting for the coffin coming out.

Keith, re the comment you left on the previous gallery picture of the Clayton Arms, I agree that the more recent building looks a lot different but I think this latest picture shows it in the same place as it is now.

Reedy I think that one should be 'Before Then & Now'. Can't see anyone turning up an earlier one than that. Best one I've seen. Was Bedlington Station known and Sleekburn all know as Sleekburn? Do you know what date it's from?

I've no idea of the date of the black and white picture. I think Bedlington Station was commonly known as Sleekburn. Not sure about the hearse either. The black and white picture is a copy of a colour postcard.

Can any one tell me what the building was adjacent to the Clayton ?

It was the back wall of an old barn or warehouse that was where they found the two swords, there was a bakery there as well many years ago, as told to me by the daughter of Robsons who had the paper shop, they owned the old buildings. Thompson Stores was next to Robsons. The pizza shop was the butchers.

• 2 weeks later...

It was also a distant landmark for all those returning home ... my long train journey from King's Cross to the Toon, the hike up from the Central Station to the Haymarket, the United bus to Bedders, turning into the A1068 off the A1 there in the distance the power station.  Nearly home!!!!

Is the power station no longer with us?

You have me hooked on a feeling that one is pulling our plonker - Ouga Ouga Ouga Chaka.

When the red lights, on the outside of each chimney, used to go out me dad was called out to go and fix them (probably just replace the bulb, but he made it sound important).  

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now