Then And Now

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I posted the previous picture, 1949 Airey Houses Coquetdale Place, I decided to Google Street view the area around The Oval to see if I could find Then & Now pictures of the Airey Houses. Whilst Google driving along  Waverley Drive I came to No 72. So before the scheme to rebuild the Airey houses started this Airey house must have been purchased; knocked down and this new home built.

post-3031-0-13462800-1386163642_thumb.pn

So Then And Now side by side. Wonder what happened at No 72 when they came to demolish No 71? 

When I posted the previous picture, 1949 Airey Houses Coquetdale Place, I decided to Google Street view the area around The Oval to see if I could find Then & Now pictures of the Airey Houses. Whilst Google driving along  Waverley Drive I came to No 72. So before the scheme to rebuild the Airey houses started this Airey house must have been purchased; knocked down and this new home built.

attachicon.gifWaverleyDrive Then&Now.png

So Then And Now side by side. Wonder what happened at No 72 when they came to demolish No 71? 

NOT Waverley Drive - Waverley Avenue.

This is a brilliant idea 'Then and Now'

Any picture from the past with a picture of now.

Well done Foxy and Eggy.

I must drive down Waverley Avenue, I though all the houses had been rebuilt.

They have all been built Maggie. Google Street view is still using the pictures from 2009. It shows the houses in the middle of Waverley Avenue, Nos. 54 downwards under reconstruction. 

Foxy is that Banner Netherton Colliery.

Seem to think someone said it had been recycled and used by another colliery.

Eggy that part of Waverley Avenue was a playground as a kid, I must revisit.

I remember breaking both bones in my arm, reckless driving. (Scooter)

This is the best I can do, at the moment, for 'Then and Now'. Haig Road - there is no date on the back of the then picture but fairly positive by the size of two kids, me and my brother, in the picture, and of course the fact it is a street party, it must be ER II coronation 1953. The Now pic is 2009 from Google Street view, Beatty Road on the left, Haig Road on the right.

I could be wrong but the one other person in the Then pic that I can recall a name for is Mrs Surtees, from Haig Road. I'm the one kneeling in the middle of the picture and Mrs Surtees is standing, at the opposite side of the table, behind me It was either her husband, or brother, used to be 'Torchy' at the Top End picture hall.

post-3031-0-51823800-1386340633_thumb.pn  

Foxy love your  then and now photos. Just wondering what used to be on the Johnny Johnson home site next door to the light shop, I just cant remember.

Foxy is that Banner Netherton Colliery.

Seem to think someone said it had been recycled and used by another colliery.

Eggy that part of Waverley Avenue was a playground as a kid, I must revisit.

I remember breaking both bones in my arm, reckless driving. (Scooter)

It is the Dr Pit colliery Banner.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now