Help Protect Bedlington's Smithy/stable

It obviously has historic merit and Bedlington should do something to hang onto its past. Maybe raising funds by public subscription would help. A good old fashioned petition to save the stables might help if the council realises a lot of locals care about it. That means standing at a busy place with a petition form and collecting signatures no matter what the weather. If Bedlington has no Historical Preservation Society perhaps the restored stables would make a good location.

Would the developer be willing to sell the land to a community group?

That is the question.

• 9 months later...

Just as an update...

The old stable/smithy that used to be my Grandpa's was demolished earlier this year. It was destroyed BEFORE planning permission was granted for any development. Since planning permission was originally refused the developers launched an appeal. However, the latest news is that the appeal has now been DISMISSED. So the point of demolishing a rare, albeit small piece of history was WHAT???

However, the support from so many people to try to protect this old building, as well as object to the development that was proposed has been phenomenal. Lets hope that many learn from such incidents and that our home town is protected with intelligent, considered and truly community approved decisions. 

As a final word to Bedlingtonians.. the more folks that speak out: the greater chance of being heard. Get active... find out about your town, who is influencing decisions, what are the agendas, and are they what we all expect, want or need in OUR town. (Cos for all I'm temporaily away, it'll always be my Bedlington, my Home).

Viv

Why do old dance halls burn down?  Why do seaside piers go up in flames?  Why do many old buildings get tumbled?  Spot a pattern here ... yep, it's often the owners/developers after the insurance money or trying to circumvent planning difficulties. 

A note to 'learned friends' ...I am not suggesting that those who tumbled the smithy are involved for any of the above reasons!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now