Help Protect Bedlington's Smithy/stable

P.S. Bedlington Town Council, if you are responsible for the Christmas Lights, and Tree... I honestly can't wait to see the place lit up *Round of Applause* , it is going to look beautiful, it is lovely to see Bedlington collecting together as one big community and putting equality and diversity differences aside, and Christmas is no better time to do it!

Yes we are in charge of the Christmas lights and tree, but I heard tonight Leading link have been told to close the road because there is going to be a large crowd at the event.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst, it would be good news for this application to have been withdrawn, I do not hold my breath. With travesties such as the Old School and the now since long gone barn on the Hartford Road, it seems that heritage loss is an ongoing thing in Bedlington. I have often thought that the Old School would have made a perfect site for a Bedlington museum or information centre.

In case anyone hasn't seen, then the page on the Nicholas Nairn Architects page for what they intend to do on the Old School site is interesting, if not an eyesore. The magnificent clock tower of the church will be completely blocked out from the Front Street. What they are proposing doesn't even have chimneys! How can it fit in?! If you go through places like Morpeth and Rothbury, most new developments that are in Conservation areas have chimneys as they fit in amongst the old buildings but that never seems to happen in Bedlington.

Good luck with the plans for the Smithy/Stable though. It seems like an interesting little building that in a more valued town you can imagine being converted into an old curiosity/brick-a-brack/ book shop.

In case anyone hasn't seen, then the page on the Nicholas Nairn Architects page for what they intend to do on the Old School site is interesting, if not an eyesore. The magnificent clock tower of the church will be completely blocked out from the Front Street. What they are proposing doesn't even have chimneys! How can it fit in?! If you go through places like Morpeth and Rothbury, most new developments that are in Conservation areas have chimneys as they fit in amongst the old buildings but that never seems to happen in Bedlington.

And of course we also have the Wind Turbine to look forward to.

post-2205-0-89459000-1385624601_thumb.jp

And of course we also have the Wind Turbine to look forward to.

Maybe, Maybe not foxy.

65 letters of objection, 2 letters of Neutral (not support or objecting) and 4 letters of support.

Can't see how the county can give permission with the public being against the development with a ratio of about 10/1 against it, same with the planning inspectorate with the public and the local town council against the development I can't see how they as well can give permission.

I still can't understand how Anthony Rutherford could not use Solar Power he would not have need planning permission for that as far as i know and if he did it would have been passed because nobody would have seen them and objected to them.

But keep an eye on it:

http://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=details&keyVal=MP3L8GQS2L000

Maybe, Maybe not foxy.

Can't see how the county can give permission with the public being against the development with a ratio of about 10/1 against it, http://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=details&keyVal=MP3L8GQS2L000

Ha Ha Ha!

We are talking Coonty Cooncil.

Edited by foxy

, Maybe not foxy.

65 letters of objection, 2 letters of Neutral (not support or objecting) and 4 letters of support.

Can't see how the county can give permission with the public being against the development with a ratio of about 10/1 against it, same with the planning inspectorate with the public and the local town council against the development I can't see how they as well can give permission.

By the way Adam, it was Tesco's Wind Turbine I was referring to.

Edited by foxy

Well you heard it for the horses mouth foxy that if Tesco's don't make a move by February 2014 their planning Permission is out the window and hopefully we get the Gap Site and car park back, Malcolm has been pushing this and I will be backing him up on it.

Is it too late to do anything about the Old School site? Or is there still legal wrangling going on? I remember signing a petition maybe a couple of years ago but I've never heard anything since.

Also, what's the issue with the development of the gap site? Or is it because Tesco haven't done anything to improve it? Sorry, as you can probably tell, I'm out of the loop here.

School site went to planning appeal and basically developer wiped the floor with our planners!  Because of time delay he got the old 5 years permission not the current 3.  

Tesco was supposed to build there and have 5-6 new shops with offices above on the front.  These to be starter units for sme development.

Problem I am trying to publicise is that if we gave Tesco the Gap site and car park  in exchange for an interest in these new shops and offices and they don't get built have we just given away the most strategic development sites in the middle of the Town for nothing?   

So when does the 5 years run out for the school site? Is there literally nothing that can be done to prevent its demolition? Those flats that are planned for the site are huge. The view of the wonderful church tower and clock will be completely lost. They will dominate the area.

I seem to remember that the developers initially just wanted to convert the old school into houses but got turned down. That somehow seems a much more preferable solution now. I may be wrong there though.

Chris,

When the planning inspectorate made their ruling they granted the developer their first application.  Obviously in the first application you put in everything you might want and then negotiate down to what the local planners will allow.  Due to what looked to be incompetence the local planners lost hands down!  

Its probably only halfway through its term at present.   

So when does the 5 years run out for the school site? Is there literally nothing that can be done to prevent its demolition? Those flats that are planned for the site are huge. The view of the wonderful church tower and clock will be completely lost. They will dominate the area.

I seem to remember that the developers initially just wanted to convert the old school into houses but got turned down. That somehow seems a much more preferable solution now. I may be wrong there though.

The only thing that could be done to maybe save the school/church hall is for the county council to try a compulsory purchase order.

But that costs a lot of money, however a County Councillor has stated that at the entrance to St Benet Biscop one of the houses there could be compulsory purchased then knocked down to allow the buses to enter easier.

So the County Council does have money for a compulsory purchase order but I doubt they are interested in the old School/church hall.

On the Agenda for the 14th Nov 2013.

Planning ref 13/00373

Also 13 / 00229

The West Bedlington Town Council discussed comments / responses to the land South West of 21 Front Street.

Responses were due 28th Oct 13.

As this thread was not started until after the response date, I guess no one saw any publicity.

It would be utterly insane to pull down a house just to let the buses in. A wider road at that location would be horrible to cross whilst keeping an eye out for traffic. The buses should be able to go into the school via the bottom exit, turn around in there and head back out the same way. Unfortunately, since I left they've built all over the bottom area. They've been managing for years anyway. Tough luck that the Council let the school get so vast in such a poorly accessible location!

Edited by Chris88

It would be utterly insane to pull down a house just to let the buses in. A wider road at that location would be horrible to cross whilst keeping an eye out for traffic. The buses should be able to go into the school via the bottom exit, turn around in there and head back out the same way. Unfortunately, since I left they've built all over the bottom area. They've been managing for years anyway. Tough luck that the Council let the school get so vast in such a poorly accessible location!

The wonders of the Planning Department again.

It obviously has historic merit and Bedlington should do something to hang onto its past. Maybe raising funds by public subscription would help. A good old fashioned petition to save the stables might help if the council realises a lot of locals care about it. That means standing at a busy place with a petition form and collecting signatures no matter what the weather. If Bedlington has no Historical Preservation Society perhaps the restored stables would make a good location.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now