Help Protect Bedlington's Smithy/stable

Hi,

I am asking for support from local Northumberland residents, particularly in Bedlington.

There is a planning application in the process of being approved to demolish a part of Bedlington's history, although it is only a small part of the history, there isn't a great deal left in Bedlington now.

The building was former Smithy/Stable in the 1960's however the building itself was constructed before that time.

As you can see from the pictures, the building isn't in the best shape by any means, but it is hardly at risk of collapsing.

I have summited an Application to English Heritage to get the building listed, however it was rejected within two days, which we believe is a direct result of other parties and local authorises interfering with the process in order to hurry the planning application through. I have appealed today against the decision, so fingers crossed we do get a more positive result.

There have also been sightings of Red Squirrels, Bats, Owls and Foxes seen on the site however these seem to be being disregarded. (Photo of fox on land)

Please make an objection/comment on the Northumberland County Council planning system and help us protect this heritage before it is too late:

http://publicaccess....ype=Application

post-3105-0-22237900-1383993844_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-04016500-1383993845_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-99373700-1383993845_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-81777400-1383993846_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-70642500-1383993847_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-87779500-1383993848_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-93299800-1383993849_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-99070500-1383993850_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-10298300-1383993852_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-28154500-1383993853_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-80759900-1383993904_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-00183700-1383993906_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-24306600-1383993907_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-53836000-1383993908_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-42478500-1383993909_thumb.jp

post-3105-0-83293800-1383993915_thumb.jp

From reading the planning comments, this appears to be behind Millfield Court.

It could well be significant to our History.

Another site for investigation, not far from The Old Dun Cow.

Behind what was the Main Coop Building in our youthful days.

A place to buy clothes and all.

In other words very central.

Hi Daniel, excuse my ignorance but where exactly is this Smithy Stable? I know it says South West of 21 Front Street but what are the nearest buildings to it? I can't visualise it in my mind!

Hiya,

Sorry for the lack of replies, I thought i would get emails notifying of messages but I haven't, will have to keep an eye on this now :)

Yes you are all correct, it is behind the Black Bull pub in Bedlington, It is a beautiful building that we really want to save, we don't want to see it crumble and fall to bits like the old school has.

I am only 21, but I am honestly shocked at the lack of interest from Planning and Conservation about this land, Red Squirrels are on the site now, we have photo evidence.

Apologies in advance for some of the spelling and grammer (not my strong point)

Anyone have any idea how to get bats into the building that will stop them.

Also this issue is on the agenda of West Bedlington Town Council on the 14/11/2013 under planning and I must say will be vote against the application for a number of reasons, hopefully the other Town Councillors will do the same and that will mean a letter of objection from West Bedlington Town Council.

Daniel,

A fine sentiment for what appears to be a fascinating old building; I do have a couple of concerns, however: firstly, what do you intend to do with the building should you secure its future? Also, who will pay for the upkeep or restoration, should either be necessary? Is this building easy to access, and will the public be able to visit it? I'm not sure the presence of Red Squirrels will hold much water as, despite their relative rarity in much of the country, they are widespread around here. Good luck with your attempts, and any information on what you intend for the future would be interesting.

Anyone have any idea how to get bats into the building that will stop them.

Also this issue is on the agenda of West Bedlington Town Council on the 14/11/2013 under planning and I must say will be vote against the application for a number of reasons, hopefully the other Town Councillors will do the same and that will mean a letter of objection from West Bedlington Town Council.

I don't think we need, to there are bats on site, however NCC are just plain ignoring the information we send them as they have an ecology report done in August 2012 which says there are no bats on site. (Suspicious)

We all hope so too, not only is there so many issues with the actual plans, there are so many issues with boundaries, access and fire access (although this has been passed by NCC Fire, with an 'emergency pathway' from Towers Close).

Daniel,

A fine sentiment for what appears to be a fascinating old building; I do have a couple of concerns, however: firstly, what do you intend to do with the building should you secure its future? Also, who will pay for the upkeep or restoration, should either be necessary? Is this building easy to access, and will the public be able to visit it? I'm not sure the presence of Red Squirrels will hold much water as, despite their relative rarity in much of the country, they are widespread around here. Good luck with your attempts, and any information on what you intend for the future would be interesting.

Hi there, My short term and immediate plan is to stop the building being demolished, as once it has gone, it has gone and can't be replaced. Long term plan is to create a Trust to apply for Lottery and Heritage Grants to Purchase the land and restore the site back to it's former glory. The site is accessible from 21 front street east, by foot or by a very very small car (smaller than a smart car), however this is not a public highway so would have to be agreed with Mrs Mather and her Family before any work starts restoring the site.

Red Squirrels are protected by law, and NCC, natural England and various trusts are now aware of their presence on site. (Lovely Picture attached of a red squirrel caught on camera approximately two foot away from the site)

Natural England: "Red squirrels and their resting places are fully protected in Britain, it is an offence to deliberately, capture, injure or kill them or to damage, destroy or obstruct their breeding or resting places. Finally it is an offence to disturb them in their breeding or resting places."

post-3105-0-93059800-1384169598_thumb.jp

Wouldnt it be nice to have a building in Bedlington where people could visit and learn about the history of Bedlington, our own little museum, I couldnt think of a better place to have it. yes i know im dreaming, but sometimes dreams come true. Good luck Danial my fingers are crossed.

I don't think we need, to there are bats on site, however NCC are just plain ignoring the information we send them as they have an ecology report done in August 2012 which says there are no bats on site. (Suspicious)

At the end of the day if there are Bats on site or in the building they will not be able to remove or kill the bats as it is an offense to do so and i'm sure you will be keeping your eyes open and contacting the right people if you see anything like this happen.

Wouldnt it be nice to have a building in Bedlington where people could visit and learn about the history of Bedlington, our own little museum, I couldnt think of a better place to have it. yes i know im dreaming, but sometimes dreams come true. Good luck Danial my fingers are crossed.

That's the plan :) and I too hope I can pull it off, once and if I can get all this sorted, I will set up the trust and start the ball rolling. Bring more tourists in to Bedlington!!!! Which is what we need.

The stable was on my Grandpa's land and used by him when he had his joinery and wheelwright workshops there.

He also used to sharpen the butchers saws on a Friday for the co-op next door, and built the robe closets in St Cuthberts vestry.

The stable lies within Bedlington Conservation area although that seems to mean nothing to planners these days.

Please, good folk of Bedders, support Daniel who is

part of a local community working together as neighbours against a planning travesty.

The stable was on my Grandpa's land and used by him when he had his joinery and wheelwright workshops there.

He also used to sharpen the butchers saws on a Friday for the co-op next door, and built the robe closets in St Cuthberts vestry.

The stable lies within Bedlington Conservation area although that seems to mean nothing to planners these days.

Please, good folk of Bedders, support Daniel who is

part of a local community working together as neighbours against a planning travesty.

Just a quick question, is this the Viv, my good friend Viv? (I am, for the record, Deaf Steve!)

I will email Viv for you, and ask if she can reply to you Steve & Symptoms.

I am going to try and come to the Meeting on Thursday, however I do Yoga on that day, so I need to check the times (need to relax with all the hassle of this planning stuff) :)

Hopefully see some of you soon, and please don't forget to get in touch with you local councillors, they might not be able to reply to your questions, but you can make them aware of any issues you have, any emails or contact you make with anyone though could I ask you to post it on the Planning System too, just so there is more evidence seen by planning, if you don't have time to create logins ect, just ask me and I will post it on your behalf.

To all in Bedlington and all that are helping, Thank You.

P.S. Bedlington Town Council, if you are responsible for the Christmas Lights, and Tree... I honestly can't wait to see the place lit up *Round of Applause* , it is going to look beautiful, it is lovely to see Bedlington collecting together as one big community and putting equality and diversity differences aside, and Christmas is no better time to do it!

Another quick question Viv, was I correct when I suggested it was part of Patterson's 1960s site?

No Symptom, my grandparents had the cottage and land behind at the front between the Bull and

the Locke Hall

that was demolished in the 60's following

their deaths and my parents

built their house on

the site.

Pattersons hauliers were

further up behind Vicarage Tce.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in